What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Aerosport door handle on backorder - proceed with 180 latch before epoxying the door?

Aerosport handle won't arrive until the end of November. I had planned to install Sean's 180 PlaneAround latch and the Aerosport handle before epoxying the two door halves together as others have done to ease the install of the latch and handle. I don't want to wait until the end of November to epoxy the two door halves - need to start fitting the doors.

So do I just go with a slightly more difficult latch and handle install with the door halves epoxied or can I install the PlaneAround 180 latch without the door handle before epoxying the door halves and save myself a bit of trouble later with a latch and door handle install after the doors are sandwiched together?

I didn't install the handle until well after my doors were glued together, fit to the airplane and mounted. Ed Kranz did a pretty comprehensive video on this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZPJEq558tM

There's also a discussion thread titled "Aerosport Low Profile handles installed (Video)"

I think the handles do a great job cleaning up the lines on the door. My compliments to Justin Twilbeck for a great addition to the list of RV-10 upgrades :)

I just finished installing the PlaneAround 3rd latch and Aerosport Low Profile Handles in my RV-10, after the door halves were already bonded. It was pretty easy, and I can't think of any reason why someone would want to do it before bonding. You want as little going on during the bonding as possible, so you can focus on getting a good bond, IMHO. I say, bond away, do the door latches/handles later.

Back