What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Mystery Photo

Vol88

Anyone know what this is? It is aluminum and measures 8-9/16" x 4-3/8" x 1/8".

I'm building an RV-10, for a starting clue.

I found it when sorting a couple of boxes, which I inherited from a previous builder, with a rat's nest of wires, some Van's wiring harness parts, and a W-730 aileron jig (go figure).

Attachments

• IMG_5220.jpeg
    IMG_5220.jpeg
    365.4 KB · Views: 189
Anyone know what this is? It is aluminum and measures 8-9/16" x 4-3/8" x 1/8".

I'm building an RV-10, for a starting clue.

I found it when sorting a couple of boxes, which I inherited from a previous builder, with a rat's nest of wires, some Van's wiring harness parts, and a W-730 aileron jig (go figure).

Too funny, I just sent a picture of mine this morning to a good friend starting a -14 project. It's a drill size guide for some common sizes and a bolt length guide for any size bolts you may have. As an example, my picture shows an AN3 bolt layed along the edge of the template. You can then see that it's an AN3-7 bolt.

Attachments

• 055DF319-5C64-4996-9735-79A940426938.jpg
    055DF319-5C64-4996-9735-79A940426938.jpg
    409.8 KB · Views: 228
I have a bolt sizer I got from spruce (I think) that is like your little holes. But I wonder if they sell a bold width sizer like you made. Plus all the drill sizes. Sure would be helpful.

Came with my 9 kit. Didn't get one with the 14 kit. I have used it hundreds of times. Works great.

Last edited:
I still have the one that came in my R-8 kit over twenty years ago, and use it in the shop on a regular basis when checking bolt lengths. I have a couple of other bolt gauges, but this one just falls easier to hand and is quick and easy to use.

Thanks!

The four holes in the upper left corner were a clue, but the diagonal holes were a mystery - especially a few that seemed to be drilled off-kilter.

What makes me laugh is that I've been using a bolt gauge that I printed and laminated, but now that I look at it, my paper gauge was actually the instruction page for this piece - the holes match up perfectly. I was just like a kid who opens a gift and plays with the box instead of the toy. This is just one of a number of challenges in buying someone else's unused kit. At least it was entertaining.

My new/old bolt gauge is also the most robust piece of my kit, other than the landing gear.

As with so much in life, it now makes sense. I never doubted that I'd find the answer to this question on VAF.

Since that mystery is solved, maybe you can help me with this other question I have about life...

Back