What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

U-810 flange to wheel pant gap?

sbalmos

Well Known Member
I'm having one of those "something doesn't quite look right" moments. I'm fitting replacement wheel pants this winter, after a flat tire last year ripped up the bottom of one.

It's a bit of a bad pic, but there looks to be about a 1/8"-3/16" gap between the flanges of the U-810 bracket and the inner surface of the wheel pant. I think with my current pants, when screwing them on, I just captured the flange and let the flange and pant both flex a bit to meet. But that doesn't seem right. For reference, I have Beringer brakes. Though Drawing C-2 seems to look like there is a gap between the flange and wheel pant surface anyway before hole-drilling.

My gut instinct is to replace the AN4-7 & 11 bolts with 8 or 9 and 12 or 13, add more spacers between the brake caliper and the bracket, so the bracket is further "outward".

Am I just having one of those braindead Friday night moments? Or should I go ahead and increase the spacers and move the bracket further "outward"?

Attachments

• PXL_20220114_222014223.jpg
    PXL_20220114_222014223.jpg
    292.5 KB · Views: 170
You need to build up the area with fiberglass tapes and/or flox, as a liquid shim. I ended up with too much and had to grind/sand down. Lots of discussion in the VAF archives.

I'm going to chock it up to brainless Friday. Trying to remember how I did this 5 years ago with the current pants. I know about the build-up - I did about 3-5 layers of glass on the current pants. Don't remember doing a more liquid component with flox. I just thought it was for structural reinforcement around the screw mount points rather than being gap shims. :/

Back