What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Gel coat

wirejock

Well Known Member
If you buy prefab parts with that yellow gel coat, do yourself a favor and sand it off. Thankfully Vans gray gel coat hasn't failed me yet. It seems to be more flexible although I'm not a fan of it either.
I had all my pants, fairings, etc all primed and wet sanded. As I was wiping them down for the final primer coat, two parts had cracks where the gel coat cracked. One had a piece I had to remove. It popped right off. So frustrating. I had to sand the area down and apply glass and cure then go through the prep process just for two spots about 2x2 inches each.
I would prefer a cheaper part with no gel coat. It's easier to locate and drill holes. I know it's done to help builders get a nice finish and probably protects exposed parts from UV and weather, but I wish vendors would offer a non gel coated part at a discount.

Crappy workmanship

I agree, but that'll never happen. Gelcoat hides crappy workmanship, like voids in the layup.

L

Easier to repair than fixing a cracked paint job. :D
I have found all sorts of stuff and fixed them, but nothing makes me more furious than a beautiful paint job with a crack or a chunk of gel coat popped off!

Agree!

You oughta see some of the thick, cracky gelcoat on older Piper cowls. That’s where I learned to dislike crackcoat, I mean gelcoat.

Back