What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tips on storing engine parts

idubrov

Well Known Member
Any tips on storing engine parts?

I am taking apart an engine core that I probably won't need for a few years.

My plan is to minimally clean the parts with the mineral spirits, then and spray them heavily with LPS-3 and put in plastic boxes. Maybe, wrap with that oily paper or put into plastic bags with desiccants.

Anything else I should be concerned about?

P.S. Also, unrelated, curious, how problematic is a loose nut on a cylinder? One small nut (3/8"?) on a cylinder #1 was pretty much finger tight. If I remember correctly, the previous owner said the cylinders never came off this engine.

Last edited:
I find very little corrosion occurs inside my climate controlled home. I have many different kinds of steel in the basement and NEVER see corrosion. Storing in the garage or hanger those same parts get corrosion over time, though the garage takes A LOT longer than the hanger.

Definitely buy the wife some flowers and beg for a storage spot in the house and avoid the basement if it is not climate controlled.

preservative oil is thick and tacky so that it stays on the part for a long time. This is what you want to replicate when attempting to control corrosion in this manner. The best easily available alternative if filter foam oil. It has solvents to thin it out for application, but once it evaporates, the remaining stuff is thick and tacky and will not come off without forceable cleaning.

The LPS may be great for this but have no idea, as I have never used it. I am sure there are spray on lubricants designed to cling and protect, but be sure to get one designed for this purpose as not all oil will stay on parts over the long haul

Larry

Last edited:
There are many products out there you can use but LPS-3 is probably one of the best for this requirement. The method you've described should be perfect but I would just recommend that you add a note to your calendar to do a quick condition check every 12 months - check the desiccants, check for corrosion... nothing more than that.

And buy the wife flowers anyway.

Preservation

The best method is to coat your parts really good, put them in a heavy duty plastic bag and vacuum seal them. Use a vacuum cleaner to suck out all the air before you seal it. No corrosion if no moisture can get in. For 1 year preservation GE, RR and P&W all require this when jet engines are stored.

Back