What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Vetterman exhaust IO-540

Chippster1

Hello all,

Being kind of a hot rodder, I have always wondered if there was Dyno Data on Vettermans exhaust vs stock exhaust systems.
When Lycoming rates the IO-540 at 260 HP, is that with a stock exhaust manifold?. The Vetterman exhaust on my RV-10 really looks like a high performance race header
Hoping maybe we really make a few more horses that never get counted?
Let me know what you all think

Ted Chipps
RV10 N498EC

Hello all,

Being kind of a hot rodder, I have always wondered if there was Dyno Data on Vettermans exhaust vs stock exhaust systems.
When Lycoming rates the IO-540 at 260 HP, is that with a stock exhaust manifold?. The Vetterman exhaust on my RV-10 really looks like a high performance race header
Hoping maybe we really make a few more horses that never get counted?
Let me know what you all think

Ted Chipps
RV10 N498EC

The type certificate for an IO-540 does not include an exhaust system, but rather it is up the airframe manufacturer to provide the exhaust system. In talking with Lycoming folks years back, they use "dyno short stacks" for their testing; however, I haven't witnessed that. The 260hp rating does not account for a stock exhaust system.

I did perform dyno testing at Ly-Con with my 540-X (the list of non-certificate parts is extensive, so avoiding Lycoming nomenclature). We did initial runs with "short stacks" (see photos) and then with my custom Vetterman exhaust. We found a 1hp improvement (346 vs 345hp at 2700 RPM) with the full exhaust over the short stacks, which did get some fun comments from the testing crew.

According to the testing crew, a full exhaust system will typically result in a 7-12hp reduction when compared to the dyno stack, however my Vetterman exhaust flows quite well.

I do want to point out that my system is not the stock Van's system, but has minor modifications to account for my SkyDynamics intake.

Attachments

• IMG_8949.jpg
    IMG_8949.jpg
    358.3 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_8983.jpg
    IMG_8983.jpg
    497.9 KB · Views: 147
Exhaust system studies....

We found a 1hp improvement (346 vs 345hp at 2700 RPM) with the full exhaust over the short stacks, which did get some fun comments from the testing crew.

Boy, would a sound ON video of THAT testing be a fun thing to hear with the volume on 10!!:):):)

Boy, would a sound ON video of THAT testing be a fun thing to hear with the volume on 10!!:):):)

I actually do have video; it does sound great, but the full power runs required us to be inside the booth, so all of the sound is muffled through the thick glass...hearing protection still required. :D

Hello all,

Being kind of a hot rodder, I have always wondered if there was Dyno Data on Vettermans exhaust vs stock exhaust systems. SNIP

Ted Chipps
RV10 N498EC

If memory serves, Vetterman makes the stock exhaust for the RV-10. I just exchanged emails with Clint at Vetterman and can confirm he also makes one for the Cold Air Sump IO-540 if you are thinking James or ShowPlanes cowl on your RV-10.

Carl

……..(snip) The 260hp rating does not account for a stock exhaust system……I did perform dyno testing at Ly-Con with my 540-X (the list of non-certificate parts is extensive, so avoiding Lycoming nomenclature).…..346 vs 345hp at 2700 RPM…….

I don’t mean to hijack the thread, but other than custom Vettermans exhaust and cold air induction that you mentioned, along with the SDS EFII system, where’d you find 85 additional horsepower? I’m assuming higher compression pistons along with porting, polishing, balancing, and blueprinting. That’s an impressive horsepower gain. 😎👍

If memory serves, Vetterman makes the stock exhaust for the RV-10. I just exchanged emails with Clint at Vetterman and can confirm he also makes one for the Cold Air Sump IO-540 if you are thinking James or ShowPlanes cowl on your RV-10.

Carl

Yes, your memory is right. Vetterman (Clint Busenitz) does make the stock exhaust for Van's. I linked this in my previous post if needed.

I had sent my SkyDynamics intake to Clint and he customized my exhaust to fit it as well as for a ShowPlanes cowl. He should now be able to replicate that as well as for the Barrett setup.

I don’t mean to hijack the thread, but other than custom Vettermans exhaust and cold air induction that you mentioned, along with the SDS EFII system, where’d you find 85 additional horsepower? I’m assuming higher compression pistons along with porting, polishing, balancing, and blueprinting. That’s an impressive horsepower gain. ����

Mark, thanks. Yes, a lot changes. I do credit Ly-Con's head porting, Competition Tech pistons, SDS EFII, intake and exhaust for the majority of improvement. I did balance the rotating assembly as well. Rather than distract from this thread, you can PM me you want more info and I'm happy to discuss. (it's in earlier threads also)

Back