What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Duel Pmags

Why would you want your pmags to fight each other??

OK, pedantic's aside, for Dual pmags you only need the battery for initial starting, they are self powered after that should the power fail.

Last edited:
2 batteries not required as mentioned. Friday I even tested my dual Pmag system down to idle RPM with no power applied and they ran perfect.

Thanks for confirming, that is what I though! Somebody told me last week he thought I needed two batteries so I figured this was the place to find out!?

I believe the Pmag should work down to 900 RPM.

EI Commander

If you are planning dual pMags, I highly suggest you install an EI Commander (or similar monitor) in your panel. The ability to keep an eye on timing and spark is really nice.

SteinAir, just down the road from you in Faribault, is a dealer and can set you up.

P MAGS

Many who operate with dual P Mags often overlook a simple test for internal failure. If the aircraft starts, at least one of the mags works. However, when operating at about 900 RPM, remove ships power to both and perform a mag check. If one dies, but works at a higher RPM (1400 or so) then most likely one leg of the internal generating system has failed. I always do this before an IFR flight.
DAR Gary

caught that

Yay Mike...
I see dueling parts all the time. If I ever write that, I will have Yoke on my face...

John.,

I'm in KLVN. I just received my IO-360 with dual P-mags from the factory. As of earlier this year you can have purchase the engine through Vans' with 2 P-mags.

There are two electronic ignitions on the market that are self powered like a traditional MAGNETO.

One is Emag. EMAG use to make a self powered one (called PMAG) and one that required external battery power (called EMAG). He now only make the self powered Model and they are all called EMAG's I believe. Per the EMAG website you need to still connect ships power to the LEFT and RIGH EMAGS, but in the event you lose electrical power to the plane the EMAGS have their own alternator to generate power.

The other is SureFly. Self powered electronic ignition.

As far as I know there are no other electronic ignitions that are self powered. and they require electrical power. To answer your question about batteries (not EMAG or SUREFLY), only ONE battery, ships battery is needed to power BOTH electronic ignition. They do not use that much power. HOWEVER it is mandatory for redundancy and safety you have a backup battery or electrical system for one of the electronic ignitions, independent of the main electrical. That way you will have at least one EI if the other electrical source fails. You can run on battery power off a small backup typically for 30 to 60 minutes.

Last edited:
I am not trying to be mean or disrespectful, but there is a lot of incorrect, and almost correct, information in this post below. I would highly, highly, highly recommend that you reach out to the manufacturers and get the correct information. This site is great, and I believe everyone has the best of intentions, but if you believe everything you read on here we might as well call you John Denver. A couple of notes, for clarity: E-Mag is the company that makes “P” models. Surefly is NOT electrically independent. John Denver is dead, but not because of anything he read on this site.

There are two electronic ignitions on the market that are self powered like a traditional MAGNETO.

One is Emag. EMAG use to make a self powered one (called PMAG) and one that required external battery power (called EMAG). He now only make the self powered Model and they are all called EMAG's I believe. Per the EMAG website you need to still connect ships power to the LEFT and RIGH EMAGS, but in the event you lose electrical power to the plane the EMAGS have their own alternator to generate power.

The other is SureFly. Self powered electronic ignition.

As far as I know there are no other electronic ignitions that are self powered. and they require electrical power. To answer your question about batteries (not EMAG or SUREFLY), only ONE battery, ships battery is needed to power BOTH electronic ignition. They do not use that much power. HOWEVER it is mandatory for redundancy and safety you have a backup battery or electrical system for one of the electronic ignitions, independent of the main electrical. That way you will have at least one EI if the other electrical source fails. You can run on battery power off a small backup typically for 30 to 60 minutes.

The P mag manual is available for download on the Emagair website. All the correct information is in there. I operate with two of them. Awesome. Operations are quite simple, however in the beginning they can be confusing till you understand what and why you are doing the various checks. Once that is understood...easy peasy.

Back