What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

ASB g3X touch with GNX375

bryanflood

Well Known Member
g3X touch ADSB with GNX375

Hello all,

I have a g3X touch system that is wired to a GNX375 as a source for receiving ADSB information. It's a really great combo and I have been increasingly learning to use it on a few trips now. The g3X system is really impressive but there are a couple issues I am seeing and I am not really sure how to troubleshoot them.

1. The g3X touch screen seems to display a much lower resolution nexrad radar image than does the GNX375. This is a bit annoying as the g3X touch has a much larger screen for viewing. Is this normal?

2. Sometimes the g3X screen does not update the weather as quickly as the GNX375 screen. In other words the G3X touch screen can lag the GNX375 updates and on a couple of occasions the G3X has stopped updating Nexrad radar while the GNX375 continues to update.

3. I have never seen seen TFRs appear on the G3X screen, would love to see the TFR reporting match what I am getting from foreflight. Not sure if this is a settings issue?

I am not sure how to start troubleshooting. The nexrad radar always seems to work better on the GNX375, would love to have this solved.

Any advice on where to start?

Thanks,

Bryan

Last edited:
Not totally sure of all this, but... I don't think you have a problem.
* The "resolution" of the G3X vs GNX is probably not a screen resolution issue. NEXRAD radar has inherently clunky resolution, so if the NEXRAD image is shown on a smaller screen, the resolution may appear better but actually what you're seeing is that each NEXRAD cell, or whatever it's properly called, is displayed smaller. Also, NEXRAD as uplinked has better resolution within the same zone as the airplane, and distant zones have coarser resolution -- my guess is to minimize uplink bandwidth. Sirius XM does not have this resolution issue. Somebody else will probably clarify any inaccuracies and terminology here...
* I've seen TFRs on my G3X Touch, fed by a GDL52. What was annoying was that active TFRs were shown, but not imminent TFRs. That may be a limitation of the ADS-B uplink, don't know.
Be well!
Ed

Last edited:
Thanks Ed,

I will look for that TFR behavior.

Does anyone have a g3X connected to a Garmin IFR navigator as a source of ADSB where they are experiencing lag and non updating of the nexrad on the g3X but not the IFR navigator screen?

Sometimes fine but other times 30 minutes or more lag between the screens.

Thanks,

Bryan

see pg. 225 of the g3x users manual. Sounds like you might have "CONUS Only" imagery selected which would have lower resolution and much slower refresh. Combined or local only mode should fix it.

Back