What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-7A Fuel Tank

cposer

Looks like I have a leak in my right fuel tank on the back. So I took all the screws out and unbolted the tank at the wing root. And nothing happened. In fact the tank didn't even move even a little bit.
My neighbor said I need to beat it at the fuel filler to get it over the screw dimpling. I am very disinclined to do that.
So if anyone can tell me the secret of pulling an RV-7A tank I would really appreciate it.

Tank removal

Did you take the bolts out from inside the inspection panels that attach the tank to the spar via the z-brackets?

If so and everything’s else is disconnected then you can use a putty knife to get the dimples over the countersinks of the spar.

Also if you do not have the plans, you can order them from Vans on a thumb drive, you’ll need them.

Each fuel tank rib will have three bolts holding it to the main spar accessible through the access panels - did you pull all of them or just the three at the wing root?

Back