What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tailwheel brake lines

Ron B.

Well Known Member
Trying to help out someone who plans on installing TS Flightline's s.s. Teflon brake lines on a taildragger. Wasn't bad enough that we forgot to install the firewall 45"s before installing the engine mount and engine. We fought with them for quite some time getting them in (tight space after the engine mount is installed). Only to discover today that the fittings used for the TS hoses are smaller. Ended up using a Dremel cutter and cut off the 45 part in order to get the fitting to rotate out. Good news is the smaller fittings were much easier to install than the original (with the engine mount installed).
Perhaps this is in the TS install description somewhere but we missed it if it was.

Trying to help out someone who plans on installing TS Flightline's s.s. Teflon brake lines on a taildragger. Wasn't bad enough that we forgot to install the firewall 45"s before installing the engine mount and engine. We fought with them for quite some time getting them in (tight space after the engine mount is installed). Only to discover today that the fittings used for the TS hoses are smaller. Ended up using a Dremel cutter and cut off the 45 part in order to get the fitting to rotate out. Good news is the smaller fittings were much easier to install than the original (with the engine mount installed).
Perhaps this is in the TS install description somewhere but we missed it if it was.

Hey Ron,

That sounds like a heck of a day with the installation. For anyone else doing an installation of our brake/fuel line kits for the RV14/14A, here is a direct link to the install manual.

http://www.aircraftspecialty.com/PDF Documents/RV14 Brake and Fuel Manual.pdf

If anyone else finds themselves in this same position, give Tom or I a call before you cut the fitting off to get it out. There are some options that involve jump size fittings on the hose.

Steve

We started out on the RV14 with the Beringer conversion which uses -3 hoses. Yes we could have stayed with the Vans sized -4 , BUT---there was not a readily available 10MM banjo to -4 stemed side and flat bend version. AND--we didnt think there would be enough call to do a production run of our own fittings that we make for all of our assemblies.
So---in our kits we provide the CORRECT adapter fittings. On the 14 TD, the firewall fittings are AN823-3D instead of the Vans 4Ds. All the hose lengths are sized for -3, BUT if someone wanted to do -4 for a Matco system, yes you certainly can. For those with a "A" model, there are a few things to consider when wanting to use a -4 hose. Spar pass through is the biggest thing because the holes need to be enlarged to allow the -4 Nuts to pass through. NOT something I would recommend. In the same thought, there isnt a long version bulkhead fitting to do the spar pass through (although I did draw one out years ago.) So Steve and I chose to use -3 hose and fittings.

Tom

Last edited:
There is a modification you don't see everyday!:D

It's used like electric brakes on a utility trailer. Going down a hill , you apply just the trailer brakes so not have the trailer sway. In a tail brake application you apply the tailwheel brake to prevent ground looping !!!!!!!

LOL--Ernst, I'm a little slow----I'm thinking now you mean we put brakes on the Tail wheel. No No ---on the Tail Dragger version of the RV14 on the Main gear.

At least thats what I think you mean.
Tom

Last edited:
Make the tailwheel out of used chewing gum for increased traction and braking effectiveness. :D

Yes I understand this thread is about the main gear on a taildragger. Play on words is fun though.

I removed my engine w/mount several times for access during FWF. Do what needs to be done, don't compromise now.

BTW - -I opted not to install tailwheel brakes.

Last edited:
Funny side note on tailwheel brakes. I was just flying formation this past weekend and a friend told me that in flight my tailwheel spins. We discussed a new tailwheel brake mod to be designed, or was a spinning tailwheel giving me more rigidity in space as a gyro……like a poor mans yaw damper. :)

Tom, I just received a call from an RV-14A builder ask how I got the lines through the main spar. I don’t recall when doing mine 6 years ago, but you just posted above that they will go through the spar without opening up the holes. Are you suggesting using the same holes Van’s use or are you switching the lines to pass thru where the wires are to go.

Ron---we use the lower of the 2 side holes. Hole opened up JUST enough to allow the -3 B Nut to pass through. See Pic. We incorporated this from Tim Olsen's build, who was the first beta tester for us on this plane. Was easier than us making an extended bulkhead fitting :)eek:).

Tom

Attachments

• extension hose routing.jpg
    extension hose routing.jpg
    499.4 KB · Views: 126
  • spar hose passthrough.JPG
    spar hose passthrough.JPG
    154.7 KB · Views: 119
Back