What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-10 Oil Cooler plans

wirejock

Well Known Member
Does anyone have pdf plans for the RV10 Niagara 20006A Oil Cooler Firewall mount?
Photos of it installed on a 7A firewall would be even better.
I have these and it looks like it will fit just fine but I don't want to start drilling without some plans.
VA-187 4" FLANGED DUCT $14.32
VA-186 OIL COOLER BOX ASSY. $30.29
Niagra 20006A
Plan is to feed it from a blast gate mounted to the #4 baffle.
https://m.tools-plus.com/woodstock-w1141.html?gclid=CJT_qp-V9MwCFRY8gQoda4INXw

The top of the oil cooler box has been rotated 180 degrees to clear the engine mount.

Attachments

• Oil Coolerl_IMG_0303.jpg
    Oil Coolerl_IMG_0303.jpg
    274.3 KB · Views: 280
I am considering retrofitting the RV-10 cooler to my already flying RV-7 and wondering how this setup is working for those who have gone before me.

I am installing oil nozzles on my piston skirts on this new engine build and expect higher oil temperatures as a result, hence the change to the larger cooler.

Here are some of my questions and considerations.

A) Installation - clocking and positioning of VA-186 OIL COOLER BOX ASSEMBLY
B) Pictures of the VA-187 SCAT tube duct as installed on the baffle
C) Oil Cooler - Is the EA OIL COOLER 20006A from Van a good choice?
D) Performance - Butterfly needed? Oil Temps during use?

If you have any other advice or input, I would certainly welcome it!

How is it working for you?

:cool: CJ

John,

I've attached a couple of pics of my oil cooler. To me it didn't seem like there were many options on where to position the oil cooler to get it to work out well. There are several limitations at least in my mind that restricted the placement. In my pic you can see the lines that I marked on the firewall for the angle firewall support. I wanted to pickup that support for at least one of the rivets. I managed to get 2 rivets going through the angle. The scat tubing is not that flexible so you are restricted in where you can place the mount to get it to route forward. Also with the oil cooler mounted you can't move it down too much or you will have interference with the motor mount. I think if you build the mount, attach the scat tubing and move it around on the firewall you will see what I mean. Once you think you have figured out where to put the mount attach the oil cooler and see if there is clearance.

I can't comment on the butterfly. I don't have one in my setup at the moment and I'm still not flying.

Attachments

• oil_cooler_mount_1.jpg
    oil_cooler_mount_1.jpg
    953.8 KB · Views: 169
  • Oil_cooler_3.jpg
    Oil_cooler_3.jpg
    744.9 KB · Views: 194
Not the Niagra Cooler

Here are a couple of pictures of an Airflow Systems 2006X oil cooler installed on the firewall of our RV-7A. We recently installed a butterfly valve controlled by a linear actuator to help control the oil temps. They were too low at times. We do not have piston squirters, although I wish we did.

Ray, This helps a lot, as mine is a retrofit. Mine is also a taildragger, so the engine mount is slightly different. Then, there is also the brake line penetrations for the taildragger, but that might not be a factor. What will likely be a factor is the governor cable penetration and possibly the throttle cable. Both easily moved...

Katana, I really cannot see the brackets that attach to the firewall in your pictures. Certainly they must be robust enough, as you are flying. Did they come from Airflow complete with the duct, SCAT and cooler?

It looks like I wouldn't need to move anything if I went that route. I do have my red cube there, which may or may not be a factor.

:) CJ

Back