What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Accommodating differences in subpanel surface angle

georgemohr

Well Known Member
Hi all,

I'm working up the layout for the various LRU's behind the panel. The subpanel on the 14 has about a 1.8" strip at the bottom edge that is bent toward the vertical when compared to the 7 deg layback of the rest of the subpanel. This makes it a little awkward to mount LRU's to this region.

Does anyone have a really elegant suggestion for dealing with this? I'd prefer to avoid something sketchy like stacking washers to fill the gap ;)

Pics of my mockup for entertainment value :)

Regards,
G

Attachments

• mock.jpg
    mock.jpg
    316.1 KB · Views: 307
  • Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    31.9 KB · Views: 253
I think I figured out a good solution. My friend is deep into 3D printing, and he can print a very durable and high-melt material into wedges for this application. We'll give that a try.

I wondered about elegant solutions. Part of the problem is that the forward side of the bent section is still going to be bent, even if the pilot side is filled in, so any plate nut or nyloc nut that sits against there will be misaligned with the mounting screw.
Other than trying to position the LRU's away from the bent section (that might not be possible for the VPX) another solution is to mount a couple of vertical thin angles to the face of the flat section of the subpanel and have the angles extend down over the bent section. The LRU would attach through that angle.

Last edited:
Our demonstrators have LRU’s mounted flush to the upper part of the panel and then a few washers added as spacers to fill in the gap on the angled lower part of the panel. Simple and effective.

I wouldn't over do the solution. Washers might be a pain depending on how many have to be stacked. McMaster has spacers that are available in lots of sizes. That seems like a simple solution. The 3D printed idea certainly could work but I don't think I would use that approach unless you are just using it in the area of the attachment points.

There are always plenty of sub projects to work on but its best to keep it simple and keep moving toward the end goal. BTW I'm an expert at being side tracked on little consumers of time.

Back