What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Two Positive Reviews: Anti-Splat Aero and Airflow Performance

goatflieg

Well Known Member
The build has handed me a lot of lemons lately, but I'm glad to share some folks that have been helping me make some lemonade.
I ordered an Ultimate Gust Lock from Anti-Splat Aero for my RV-8; not cheap, but a superior tool for the job in my opinion. Test fitting the one they sent revealed that the stick brace tube wasn't long enough and the locking pin hole wasn't in the right place for my airplane. I attribute this to my ground-adjustable rudder pedals; their gust lock was designed for the more common sliding pedal unit. I called the company and was referred to Allan Nimmo, the fabricator who appears in their videos. I discussed the issue with him and he asked me to send my photos documenting the issue in an email; he would fabricate special parts for my gust lock that would work on my airplane. I just received the custom parts today and will return the stock parts to Anti-Splat Aero next Monday. I received no bill for the custom part; I'm only paying the shipping to return the stock part. Well Done, Anti-Splat Aero!
Most builders are familiar with purchasing items as part of a kit that don't get used until long after any warranty on said items have expired. This was the case for my Airflow Specialties auxiliary pump (P/N 2090255). I received the pump back in 2017; it was installed later that year. The first test was accidental. The pump switched was flipped during electrical testing but the pump didn't start; it just popped the circuit breaker. Further research (including reading the manual that came with the pump) revealed that the system should be flushed before testing the pump. I did so, running 100LL avgas through my fuselage fuel plumbing before installing the wings. I tried my first official pump test two days ago and the same thing happened: no pump start and popped circuit breaker. Removed the pump and checked circuit voltage; all good. Thought I was looking at another $410 expense to replace the pump, but thought I'd call Airflow Performance first and was very glad I did. After describing the situation to Kyle Day, he recommended that I send the pump back to them. They would recondition and test the pump before returning it to me in working order. Depending on what they find, I may have to pay for some parts, but I'm sure I'll pay far less than the cost of a new pump. I shipped the faulty pump to them today and will give an update when I receive it back, but very impressed by the customer support thus far.
It's so nice to be able to share good news about good companies here; it definitely improved my day.

I've had good experiences with both of those vendors too.

Just FYI: the pump itself is an Airtex E2315, available at most auto parts stores for around $100.

Anti-Splat Aero Epilogue

Received my custom replacement parts several days ago; they fit well and work as intended. I boxed and shipped the stock parts back to them today. $12.78 return shipping in trade for two custom-made replacement parts sounds like a pretty good deal to me.
UltGustLock 6s.jpg
MJF

Back