What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Its time for a change

Tim 8-A

Well Known Member
Sponsor
I have been in turmoil for a few months trying to decide the direction to go. I started my RV career in an 8a put about 400 hours in it and worked on it making changes the entire time, enjoying every minute. As the family grew I decided to move into a 10 which I have really enjoyed flying and upgrading it along the way. I looked at picture of a past memory in the 10 and it was 9 years ago, amazing how time flies. The kids are now grown and Can't remember the last time I had 4 people in my 10. I still carry a lot of gear or supplies in the 10 but the 8a use to handle my carrying supplies just fine. Pulling the trigger to sell my 10 is the hardest part but I really miss flying an 8, I really love the centerline flying so that's why a side by side just wont work. I'm turning 60 next month and the safe thing to do is go back to an 8a, but there is a lot larger market with the 8 and you don't have to take the constant badger from the tail wheel pilots. :). Thinking ahead for the next 10 years should I keep waiting on the perfect 8a or should I get some time in the tail wheel to see how difficult it really is, or will be when I'm approaching 70? I also might find out that the tail wheel guys just have big ego's. (just kidding) Telling my wife will not go well, but the other problem I solve is my screen name will once again be correct.

I have been in turmoil for a few months trying to decide the direction to go. I started my RV career in an 8a put about 400 hours in it and worked on it making changes the entire time, enjoying every minute. As the family grew I decided to move into a 10 which I have really enjoyed flying and upgrading it along the way. I looked at picture of a past memory in the 10 and it was 9 years ago, amazing how time flies. The kids are now grown and Can't remember the last time I had 4 people in my 10. I still carry a lot of gear or supplies in the 10 but the 8a use to handle my carrying supplies just fine. Pulling the trigger to sell my 10 is the hardest part but I really miss flying an 8, I really love the centerline flying so that's why a side by side just wont work. I'm turning 60 next month and the safe thing to do is go back to an 8a, but there is a lot larger market with the 8 and you don't have to take the constant badger from the tail wheel pilots. :). Thinking ahead for the next 10 years should I keep waiting on the perfect 8a or should I get some time in the tail wheel to see how difficult it really is, or will be when I'm approaching 70? I also might find out that the tail wheel guys just have big ego's. (just kidding) Telling my wife will not go well, but the other problem I solve is my screen name will once again be correct.
If I can learn to fly a tailwheel, anyone can! Get good training and it will open up a lot more aircraft. I used a VR simulator to "train" my feet, even though I had a TW endorsement I picked up 100 years ago. The VR simulator made it like riding a bicycle - I can still fall on my face I'm sure, but my feet just do their thing without me thinking about it.

Do the TW 8!

My bet ,since you have a ton of RV8A time already is you will have no problems with a TW 8 just having someone give you a few hours of transition/TW training in an 8. I have 2 friends that were low time pilots with no TW time buy an RV-8 and an RV-4. I put the rear rudder pedals in the -8, and he did a few hours with an instructor and got his TW. The RV-4 guy did a weekend with an instructor in a -6 and got his endorsement. Both happy TW pilots now.

you don't have to take the constant badger from the tail wheel pilots. :).

I would never make such decision for the above reason. Honestly, I believe those who badger others for the tail dragger, they either have some ego problem or some thing else wrong. Once in the air they both fly the same and on the ground all the advantages are for the nose gear, not to mention the insurance which becomes even more relevant with age.

So Build or buy what you like.

Tim,

I’ve been down this road - twice. I built the 8A and sold it shortly after the 10 was flying as I decided I did not have time for two planes (day job got in the way). The 10 was everything I could ask for - but I sold it when my wife fell ill as it no longer had a mission. I built the 8 as the last plane I’d fly.

Guess what - I was wrong. I now find I have flying to do that the 10 is very well suited for. I’m now building another 10 to fix my mistake. This time around I have a son and son-in-law, both Naval Aviators, that will soon need access to a plane. I figured the pool of RV-8 and RV-10 fits the bill for all three of us.

My point - don’t be so fast on the trigger to sell the 10. You may regret doing it.

Carl

I've had both an -8 and an -8A.

The -8 was more fun to fly, what with raising the tail on takeoff and lowering it on landing, three points, wheel landings, etc. It was also stunningly beautiful, inside and out.

On the other hand, the -8A basically didn't care about crosswind landings and was easier (safer) to taxi because you could always see over the nose. (And those who say just S-turn or give other lame excuses, I will do my best to ignore you.)

In flight, of course, there was no difference.

But I did have one CFI buddy along in the back seat of the -8A in very, very light chop, and the Dutch roll translated into side to side motion in the back seat, and he requested that we terminate the flight.

Absolutely right

I would never make such decision for the above reason. Honestly, I believe those who badger others for the tail dragger, they either have some ego problem or some thing else wrong. Once in the air they both fly the same and on the ground all the advantages are for the nose gear, not to mention the insurance which becomes even more relevant with age.

So Build or buy what you like.

There is something wrong with people that badger about the tailwheel. It is a personal choice and they are not thinking about the advantages of a tricycle gear. Be an egotist if you want but quit badgering. I really liked my nosewheel the day I encountered a 24 knot gusting to 35kts at 60 degrees to my heading. I learned later some people use the taxiway to get the proper heading in those conditions.

Thinking ahead for the next 10 years should I keep waiting on the perfect 8a or should I get some time in the tail wheel to see how difficult it really is, or will be when I'm approaching 70?

We don't like to admit that insurance carriers can pull our strings but the sad truth is you may have problems as a new 70 yr-old TW pilot getting coverage at a reasonable (any) cost. Best option might be to make the move to whatever RV you are most comfortable with now and just ignore us obnoxious tailwheel guys. :)

There is something wrong with people that badger about the tailwheel. It is a personal choice and they are not thinking about the advantages of a tricycle gear. Be an egotist if you want but quit badgering. I really liked my nosewheel the day I encountered a 24 knot gusting to 35kts at 60 degrees to my heading. I learned later some people use the taxiway to get the proper heading in those conditions.

Absolutely correct that NW has lots of advantages over TW. Too many to list here. Most of us are not badgering, but suggesting that it's not that hard to learn. Everyone should do what they want and fly what they want. It would be sad if someone wants to fly a TW aircraft, and doesn't because they think it's too difficult - it's not. If someone wants to fly nosewheel, I say "more power to ya!"

Absolutely correct that NW has lots of advantages over TW. Too many to list here. Most of us are not badgering, but suggesting that it's not that hard to learn. Everyone should do what they want and fly what they want. It would be sad if someone wants to fly a TW aircraft, and doesn't because they think it's too difficult - it's not. If someone wants to fly nosewheel, I say "more power to ya!"

I don't think it is simply a matter of difficulty and ability to learn, all of those folks have learned to fly and a good portion are instrument rated, so they certainly demonstrate the capability of it.
You seldom hear a NW person brag or badger a TW person despite the many advantages of a NW. Likewise, you seldom, if ever, hear a instrument rated pilot badger a non-instrument rated which arguably requires more skills than TW endorsement. So, it baffles my mind why they think theirs is the greatest and often look down/dismiss a NW pilot.

As for me personally, my flying and choice of plane/equipment, are objective driven decisions while respecting other's choices and their decision making.

Love my nosewheel. Especially after landing with gusty crosswinds and my Buddy flying his 6 groundlooped attempting to land less than a minute after me. His 6 was AOG and had to be trailered to his home for a year+ of reconstruction. And he had 1000s of TW time. And shall remain anonymous.

I bought my 6A because it was an RV. When I get the little wheel on the wrong end comments I just reply with “the SR71 has a nose wheel and it doesn’t make it and less cool”.

Trial

go get some tailwheel time in a citabria or Decathlon. I owned a Super D before I bought my 8. See if you like it or if it's not for you.

Go for it

I made the move from a Cherokee 140 to an RV-6 at age 60 and haven't looked back. That was three years ago. While in the process of purchasing the RV I received my TW endorsement in a Champ, and then flew with Jan Bussels (recently passed away) in Florida for about 3 hours of transition training. I'm still having a blast and after forty years of flying I'm finally having fun again. So far my insurance has stayed in check but who knows where that will go in the future? Maybe jump into the transition training early, before purchasing anything to see if this tailwheel thing is something to pursue?

I was middle age when I got my Private certificate… all nose dragger time. At 120 hoursTT, I got bit by the RV bug. At 150hrs, I wanted to build an RV. I couldn’t decide between a 9A or a 7. Love the look of the -7, but my low time and experience I leaned toward the “A” model. A great friend, mentor and very experienced Navy aviator told me… if you can’t fly a tail wheel RV properly, you won’t be able to fly a nosewheel one properly either. When I bought and started building my kit, I also got my tail wheel endorsement(10hrs). My flying club had a Citabria, so 4 years of build and 50 hours Tailwheel time later, I flew my RV-7.

Build or buy what you want! RV’s all fly good and honest.

BTW… tailwheels rock and yellow is fast! (ok, I might be biased)

I think some are overplaying the insurance aspect. Once you have 100 hours of TW time the difference is not much. I also don’t think they factor age into the tailwheel equation. Age is a standalone component.

TW vs NW

I learned to fly a TW @ 68 years old. Should have done it sooner as it made me a much better pilot. I built an RV7 and also owned an RV1. Both were a blast.
Get transition training and you won't be disappointed. Just my .02:D

I've got thousands of hours in tailwheel aircraft of all different types and when I went shopping for an RV6 my preference was for a tailwheel version. After looking at 5 different RV's I looked at an A model and it had everything I wanted plus some. Did a bit of due diligence on the A's and bought it the next day. The one advantage some people may not be aware of is that I can take off quicker and land shorter than a straight 6 because with the tricycle gear the wing can get a higher angle of attack. I don't fly it like a typical cessna or piper...that nose wheel to me is a taxi wheel and I get it off the ground immediately on takeoff and hold it off until I no longer can on landing. It's a wonderful aircraft, highly recommended. :)

my $0.02: Tailwheels require an endorsement and cost more to insure for a reason. From an engineering standpoint, they are an inferior design. Why would you go that route in a RV? You loose some utility, add some risk, loose some visibility and ground maneuverability.

my $0.02: Tailwheels require an endorsement and cost more to insure for a reason. From an engineering standpoint, they are an inferior design. Why would you go that route in a RV? You loose some utility, add some risk, loose some visibility and ground maneuverability.

As an engineer, I would be interested in your criteria for defining an “inferior design”…

Thanks for all the commits, there is a few things I didn't consider cross wind landing being one of them, fast taxi was always a benefit at larger airports. I think my first choice is going to be the A model but not ruling out the tail wheel. Ins, cross wind and fast taxi are huge factors for me. If anyone is considering selling please let me know.

Might I Suggest an Hour or Two With Mr. Bohannon

Tim:

Bruce Bohannon does transition training in his RV-8 down in Angleton. Worth the experience to fly a couple of hours with Bruce no matter your decision. He helped me with a tailwheel endorsement a couple of years ago in his Legend Cub. The whole experience was a hoot. All the best.

Because a tail wheel allows you to go into places that I wouldn’t want to try with an rv nose gear. Just got back from Idaho back country and landed in a place I wouldn’t have wanted the nose gear.

Back