What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Brake Pedals for the RV-10

rv9aviator

Well Known Member
I ran this by Doug before posting so here goes. I make the cast aluminum brake pedals for RV's 6-7-and 9's. I am ready to start building the mold for the RV-10 pedals and would like to see what interest there might be before investing a considerable amount of time and money in the tooling. I am also going to add a small extension part for the bottom of the rudder pedal. These will be molded from an engineered plastic that will be light and wear well. I expect the price to be under $100.00 for all eight pieces. They can be molded with some grip to them or smooth depending on what people want. The solid models of the finished parts are in the picture below. I would appreciate any feedback from RV-10 builders and owners.
pedalframe4280vy.jpg

Last edited:
They look nice. Too bad mine are in already and I'm not taking them out! Not bad for under $100.

I am also going to add a small extension part for the bottom of the rudder pedal. These will be molded from an engineered plastic that will be light and wear well.

I would appreciate any feedback from RV-10 builders and owners.
pedalframe4280vy.jpg

O.K., as to the extension part mentioned-----please elaborate a bit. Drawing would be appreciated.

Nice looking units, I would certainly be interested in a set.

RV-10 Brake Pedals

You can count me in for a set. They look great & I was planning on appling some wing walking material anyway.

Hank

More pictures

Here are a couple of shots of the stand-off.

The stand-off's weigh .8 oz. The pedals weigh 2.4 oz. The total weight for all 8 pcs. is 12.8 oz. The pedals are made to lay on top of Van's pedals so the weight of these will be in addition to what you already have.

footpedalview3yn5.jpg

footpedalview2zn3.jpg

Last edited:
It's a go!

Thanks for the encouragement folks. I'm going ahead with the tooling. It will take about 2-3 months to have sample parts.:)

How long before you think we could get these? I'm about a month out from installing the standard ones...but I like the way these look.

Bart, These pedals simply go on top of the aluminum ones Vans supplies. You can install them anytime. Of course it is easier with the pedals out but not a big deal. The pedals I make from aluminum are strong enough to support themselves but I don't feel comfortable using a plastic pedal without something to back it up.

You Bet!

I will make the stand off's so they will work with any of the side by side planes with hanging pedals. I am trying to see if I can make the pedals work for both the 6-7-and 9 as well as the 10. Believe it or not the pedals in the 10 are narrower than the others. I will price them separately as well.

Misnomer?

Bart, These pedals simply go on top of the aluminum ones Vans supplies. You can install them anytime. Of course it is easier with the pedals out but not a big deal. The pedals I make from aluminum are strong enough to support themselves but I don't feel comfortable using a plastic pedal without something to back it up.

Nice work, Jim. Perhaps I'm being a bit of a stickler for accuracy but, judging from your description, I think I would have to call your product "pedal covers" rather than pedals. I like the standoffs; seems like they might help prevent inadvertant brake activations.

Chase Snodgrass
Presidio, TX
http://flybigbend.com

Your right, they are made to be decorative and not structural. I should have made that distinction between my aluminum pedals and the plastic ones, but I orginally made the aluminum ones to go over the stock pedals or be used alone.

RV-10 rudder pedal extensions

My wife is 5 feet tall and can't reach the rudder pedals. We had 3 inch extensions made for our Mooney.
Does any one know of any one making extensions for the 10?
Alan

I guess I should update everyone on the molds for the RV-10 pedals. I have decided not to go ahead with the project as the cost verses sales would not come close to making a profit. If there is any interest I am thinking about making some billet aluminum pedals instead of making plastic molded parts. These would be structural and not just decorative. I may still make a mold for the stand-offs as they will work on the other models with hanging pedals.

Last edited:
Wow - those almost make it worth building a -10...just for the cool rudder pedals! Very nice....:)

Oh - WOW!!!

What's the story with the top half? Are they the regular ones, but anodized? Are you selling the top half too?

Great work...

The offsets are not mine.
I have sent Henkjan an e-mail that I posted a link to his homepage with the pedals on this forum. I don't know if he sells the offsets. First he has to make some for my RV-12 :D
He has a very nice High-precision workshop
His builderpage ;Mykitlog Very nice spinner mod and carbon panel!

Regards, Joeri.

Our timezone is UTC +1, Netherlands

Last edited:
Rudder pedal offsets

I produced the offsets for my own use because i'm always messing up with the brakes, did not want to make any changes to the Van's desigs so I made offsetts which can be clamped on the horizontal pedal tube and the will fit all pedals with similar design (I don't know about all RV models but they will fit side by side models for sure) Never intended and expected to start producing them because of the (for the USA) expensive Euro and shipping costs, if there is interest however I would be more than happy to produce a serie of them.
As they are now, machined, anodised and engraved with the RV type in a batch of 8 (for my two RV's) they cost at least 200 euro's per set of 4, I feel that's quite expensive, but if I could make a reasonable series maybe the price can go down to about between 100 and 150 euro's per set, if shipping can be done to one address in the USA and distribute from there maybe it gets worthwhile.
But is always possible to make them individulally, more expensive though.
You can reach me trough my kitlog or email me directly.
www.zme.nl

I'm guessing we'd still have to get the top half anodized on our own? Anyone know what the cost is to have something anodized?

Also, is a set 2 pedals or 4?

I was thinking about the same thing by combining shipments to a single US location. If we can get enough of the RV-10 guys to go and the cost to match the anodization is reasonable, I don't mind being the drop point for the RV-10 sets.

Here's a Euro -> Dollar converter:
http://www.x-rates.com/calculator.html

Phil

Last edited:
That is pretty pricey but count me in. No need to anodize for me because I will finish at the same time as the pedals. Maybe we can get a group buy going?

I should have my billet pedals for the 10 done next week and might have them gold anodized to match Henkjan van der Zouw's extensions which look great. I think the two together would make a very nice set up.
Stay tuned

I'm guessing we'd still have to get the top half anodized on our own? Anyone know what the cost is to have something anodized?

Also, is a set 2 pedals or 4?

I was thinking about the same thing by combining shipments to a single US location. If we can get enough of the RV-10 guys to go and the cost to match the anodization is reasonable, I don't mind being the drop point for the RV-10 sets.

Here's a Euro -> Dollar converter:
http://www.x-rates.com/calculator.html

Phil

Phil,
As noted earlier - I am in as well for 4 pieces (pilot and copilot sides) as well.
Thanks,
Bill

Got one of the RV-10 Brake pedals made today. Actually my son programmed and machined them for me. Funny how you are smarter than your kids when they are growing up and at some point you realize they are smarter than you, or maybe I'm just forgetting what I did know. Anyway,here is a picture of the machined pedal.
a44foy.jpg

Last edited:
Got them finished!

Here are the finished RV-10 pedals machined from 6061-T6 Plate.
It looks like they will cost $25.00 ea. or $100.00 for a set of 4 plus $8.00 shipping. I plan on making an initial run of 10 sets as soon as the material comes in. These will be in the raw state for now. I'll leave it up to the customer to finish as he likes. If anyone is interested just PM me and we'll go from there.

2aj47dj.jpg

Last edited:
pedals and extensions

Jim, your pedals will work with the extensions? If so, count me in for a set of both (4 of each) pedals and extensions. Regardless Jim, I want a set of the pedals. I'll PM you.

Bill

Bill, I am assuming you are talking about the gold anodozed extensions. They are being produced overseas and by another gentleman. There shouldn't be any problem in using his extensions with my pedals. I will have matching extensions for my pedals a little later. Thanks so much for your interest.

Got the pedal extensions done.

I finished the prototypes over the holidays and am figuring up the cost to produce in small batches. I'll update here in a few days.

DSCN2575.jpg

Awesome!!!

They look great, Jim. I'm still in for the whole setup. Just let me know how much, where and when. Still no hurry as I'm only working on wings but I definitely don't want to miss out.

Bill Britton

Back