What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Show us your panel !!!!!

Getting close to the initial “smoke test “.

Won’t be long now.

Attachments

• F582A801-B722-4949-B11D-EB1CF29C8ACF.jpg
    F582A801-B722-4949-B11D-EB1CF29C8ACF.jpg
    382.7 KB · Views: 653
Working on interconnections right now. It's not finished but I took the opportunity for a picture. Basic power-on is a few weeks away, and then we'll see about the avionics after that.

Think I'm going to have to redo some of the labels though. The HDX sticks out a bit more than I'd figured...

Attachments

• PXL_20220129_194131734.jpg
    PXL_20220129_194131734.jpg
    306.9 KB · Views: 596
Wow, all of these panels are certainly impressive. My son and I wanted an economical glass VFR panel that provided full autopilot, ADS-B in and out, EMS and backup mechanical A/S and altimeter. We bought this 8 two years ago and the previous owner had just paid to have a TruTrack Gimini installed. It also had a hard wired (but mounted on a portable suction mount) Garmin 796 with a GDL-39 3D. We purchased a used EMS D-10 (thanks Walt at EXP), had a new panel designed and cut at UpNorth (thanks Bill) and a local machinist made the mount for the 796. We had already added a Tailbeacon for ADS-B. She's not high-dollar fancy but boy is it a giant leap in functionality!

Attachments

• 63D63969-A601-4837-A929-828FDFD1D30D.jpg
    63D63969-A601-4837-A929-828FDFD1D30D.jpg
    330.2 KB · Views: 479
  • 81E49C8D-2D86-4A44-B98B-430AEEEB8A61.png
    81E49C8D-2D86-4A44-B98B-430AEEEB8A61.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 344
Last edited:
N4EW

Before with a Garmin 430 and after with an Avidyne

view

view

Twins

Finalizing mine now...View attachment 22457]

I have nearly the same panel layout, except my second com (really com 1 to me) is remote mounted so it is not on the panel. Something to think about.

Also, what I learned is that the GPS (GNX375) wants to be nav 1, so this makes the GNC-255 (VOR) nav 2 and so, by default, com2. This also works out well when the co pilot is isolated and using com2 to talk, pilot would be on com1

Last edited:
Wow, all of these panels are certainly impressive. My son and I wanted an economical glass VFR panel that provided full autopilot, ADS-B in and out, EMS and backup mechanical A/S and altimeter. We bought this 8 two years ago and the previous owner had just paid to have a TruTrack Gimini installed. It also had a hard wired (but mounted on a portable suction mount) Garmin 796 with a GDL-39 3D. We purchased a used EMS D-10 (thanks Walt at EXP), had a new panel designed and cut at UpNorth (thanks Bill) and a local machinist made the mount for the 796. We had already added a Tailbeacon for ADS-B. She's not high-dollar fancy but boy is it a giant leap in functionality!

Looks nice Rob--I'm still flying.:p:p even tho I'm old enough to have had a pet dinosaur on a leash.:D

First pics of panel

This past weekend I cut my panel for my twin HDX setup. Still a few more larger components to cut + all the toggles and some smaller items (Hobbs, ELT, etc.). The overall process went a lot smoother than I had expected, and everything turned out straight and square. A more detailed update and set of photos on my build log.

Attachments

• IMG_3385.jpg
    IMG_3385.jpg
    529.7 KB · Views: 391
Panel

My Advanced Panel-less Panel arrived. Just had to put the electronics in to test fit and make airplane noises. Thanks to Scott Schuler for helping. Saved climbing in an out. Two of the cutouts for the small boxes required minor filing. Otherwise, everything slides right in place. I will sleep better tonight.
If anyone is interested, here's how it was done.
https://wirejockrv7a.blogspot.com/p/vinyl-instrument-panel-skin.html
I have all the DXF and AI files used to make it. They are only good for the same model panel, but if anyone wants them, shoot me an e-mail. I don't mind sharing my work.
20220811_115937.jpg

My Advanced Panel-less Panel arrived. Just had to put the electronics in to test fit and make airplane noises. Thanks to Scott Schuler for helping. Saved climbing in an out. Two of the cutouts for the small boxes required minor filing. Otherwise, everything slides right in place. I will sleep better tonight.
If anyone is interested, here's how it was done.
https://wirejockrv7a.blogspot.com/p/vinyl-instrument-panel-skin.html
I have all the DXF and AI files used to make it. They are only good for the same model panel, but if anyone wants them, shoot me an e-mail. I don't mind sharing my work.
View attachment 29362

Looking good Larry!

It's hard to see the labels in the pic but do either of those USB ports go to your two EFIS unit or are they just ship power? Reason I ask, you will want something on the panel or have to accept reaching behind the panel every 28 days for nav updates. If you are going with the reach around method you may want to try it out and see how it goes, I cannot for the life of me get that dang USB above cables and into the slot on the HDX which is towards the top. Luckily I have panel mounted ports but trying to get that wifi module hooked in...

Looking good Larry!

It's hard to see the labels in the pic but do either of those USB ports go to your two EFIS unit or are they just ship power? Reason I ask, you will want something on the panel or have to accept reaching behind the panel every 28 days for nav updates. If you are going with the reach around method you may want to try it out and see how it goes, I cannot for the life of me get that dang USB above cables and into the slot on the HDX which is towards the top. Luckily I have panel mounted ports but trying to get that wifi module hooked in...

They are power. Indo have the extension cables and plan to secure them where I can easily access. I also forgot to add the cut out for the ELT panel. DOH!

Hi Bob,

New home, new shop put a big delay in the progress, but the shop is done and we're getting things organized and ready to move the plane in. So hopefully resuming work soon!

Thanks,
Russ

I DONT KNOW IF YOU HAVE YOUR ENG INST YET, BUT I HAVE THE (6) ELECTRONICS INTERNATIONAL ENG INST FOR SALE; RPM R-1, MAN PRESS, VOLTS AMPS, US8A CHT EGT, 5P5L FUEL PRESS/FUEL FLOW ETC WITH TRANSDUCER, OIL PRESS OIL TEMP WITH TRANSDUCER, VOICE ENNUNCIATOR VA-17, SC5A SUPER CLOCK. ALL FOR $1,900.00 OBO. BASICALLY, ITS HALF PRICE OFF NEW. I DO NOT HAVE THE CHT EGT PROBES. AND THE BACK LIGHT WENT OUT ON THE US8A GUAGEABOUT 1 1/2 YEARS AGO. 5 MONTHS AGO E.I. SAID $125 TO REPLACE LIGHT WITH TURN AROUND TIME 3 DAYS.

I HAVE OTHER INSTRUMENTS IF YOURE INTERESTED; ALT, VERTICAL COMPASS. I BUILT A NEW PANEL FOR MY HARMON ROCKET.

MNEUFELDHR2

This post is probably best made in the For Sale forum.

I DONT KNOW IF YOU HAVE YOUR ENG INST YET, BUT I HAVE THE (6) ELECTRONICS INTERNATIONAL ENG INST FOR SALE; RPM R-1, MAN PRESS, VOLTS AMPS, US8A CHT EGT, 5P5L FUEL PRESS/FUEL FLOW ETC WITH TRANSDUCER, OIL PRESS OIL TEMP WITH TRANSDUCER, VOICE ENNUNCIATOR VA-17, SC5A SUPER CLOCK. ALL FOR $1,900.00 OBO. BASICALLY, ITS HALF PRICE OFF NEW. I DO NOT HAVE THE CHT EGT PROBES. AND THE BACK LIGHT WENT OUT ON THE US8A GUAGEABOUT 1 1/2 YEARS AGO. 5 MONTHS AGO E.I. SAID $125 TO REPLACE LIGHT WITH TURN AROUND TIME 3 DAYS.

I HAVE OTHER INSTRUMENTS IF YOURE INTERESTED; ALT, VERTICAL COMPASS. I BUILT A NEW PANEL FOR MY HARMON ROCKET.

MNEUFELDHR2

Dual GTR HX, Garmin 796, Stratus ESG, TruTrak, Icom 200

IMG_6235.jpg
Here is a picture of my panel. I did the upgrade a couple of years ago and love it. I left space for a Garmin 355 which I plan on installing soon. 2 axis autopilot connected to GRT. GRT Engine monitor now shows on EFIS. What an improvement that is. Traffic on EFIS also. I have the Sky Radar for traffic and weather on the EFIS. GDL 39 for traffic and weather on the 796. Dual Efis, dual AHRS, Dual GPS for the GRT HX EFIS. Loving it.

Attachments

• IMG_2158.jpg
    IMG_2158.jpg
    285.5 KB · Views: 238
  • IMG_2159.jpg
    IMG_2159.jpg
    253.9 KB · Views: 238
You can improve things just a bit by reconfiguring the MFD. If you put it in split screen mode, you can move the center of the map closer to you, and the center is where most of the useful information is. Here's an example:
https://www.garmin.com/en-US/p/166058
I've done this on my RV-9A since day one.

And you can also put another set of engine gauges on the far right side of the MFD for those times when you carry another pilot or even an interested observer. I'm a CFII, and maintain proficiency from both seats. This makes it easier.

Don't know why you have the analog gauges, though. The G5 and the G3X have different sensors and algorithms so there's no risk of common mode failure. All they really have in common is the name on them.

Enjoy!

You can improve things just a bit by reconfiguring the MFD. If you put it in split screen mode, you can move the center of the map closer to you, and the center is where most of the useful information is. Here's an example:
https://www.garmin.com/en-US/p/166058
I've done this on my RV-9A since day one.

Thanks! Yea this is the first time I’m flying with a glass panel so I’m still figuring out what information I want where. So far I constantly find myself needing to cycle what gets displayed on the right side of the pilot’s screen. The copilot’s screen is pretty far from my scan so I’m struggling with what to display there. I like your idea of splitting the screen: I bet the left side of that display is close enough to me to be useful.

The steam instruments are there purely out of a paranoid desire for 3x redundancy for airspeed and altitude. They aren’t really part of my regular scan.

The steam instruments are there purely out of a paranoid desire for 3x redundancy for airspeed and altitude. They aren’t really part of my regular scan.

I noticed you have a tip-up canopy. I don't think analog gauges are such a bad idea. Water intrusion is one of those things that could take out both displays. Don't ask how I know that.

--Ron

Label text at bottom vs top

Normal panel labeling has the text of the switch on top. As seen by the photo, my update from the flat 10” touch to the new angled HDX now blocks the top text from view. Is there a reg that I cannot place the labels at the bottom so I can read them?

PXL_20230318_190632195.jpg

Almost ready for instruments! I hand cut this panel. Used rub on lables. Will clear coat it and then the fun begins!IMG_4698.jpg

N Number

I have got to ask what you choose a N Number with ML at the end?

Mine is 958ML. RV8. ML are my initials.

RV-7 Panel

Not flying yet but so far everything working well. Plan to be in the air by September!

Attachments

• 1EBFE441-F74E-4313-9EFF-CE66388F0379.jpg
    1EBFE441-F74E-4313-9EFF-CE66388F0379.jpg
    480.4 KB · Views: 581
Finished Panel

Finished my panel installation over the weekend. Quite proud of it. Space in the middle is for a future GPS navigator and audio panel (and a second radio at some point).

img_5234.jpeg

New Advanced panel going in...

Bought RV in May '22.... Started complete electrical makeover soon thereafter with FlyLEDs. April of this year installed Dynon heated pitot (had single tube pitot from Vans), Landing Height Sensor, AV30 magnetometer. May was installation of WW constant speed prop. June I tore the entire panel out - every wire except the engine EGT/CHT wires and previous updated wing wires. Moved ELT antenna to under empenage fairing, added electric elevator trim, added 2nd comm antenna, and installed complete AFS/Avidyne panel. The folks at Advanced are awesome, the Advanced ECM make wiring a breeze. Not done, still have to wire the control sticks in, but so far so good....

First pic w/ old unmolested panel June 1st...
Second with gutted panel June 14th...
Nearly completed panel July 22nd...

Attachments

• IMG-1010.jpg
    IMG-1010.jpg
    442.6 KB · Views: 238
  • nodash.jpg
    nodash.jpg
    384.5 KB · Views: 249
  • newdash.jpg
    newdash.jpg
    501.9 KB · Views: 354
Which Clear Coat over Instrument Panel

Hey Mike,

I'm building a panel for an RV-14 and we are going with a color scheme very similar to yours. Dark-ish gray with white dry-transfer lettering. I want a satin/non-glossy clear coat.

I have a couple of questions:

1. What are you using for the final clear coat?
2. Is there any issue w/ clear coat adhering to a glossy finish powder coat?

TIA

My panel is primed, and rattle can gray enamel that I found to almost match my interior.
After that I just shot standard clear over. To my knowledge, clear will stick to anything except water base paints. I’ve never had an issue. Might try a small sample first. My finish is a gloss though. Haven’t tried a semi-gloss clear.
Other projects though a so I gloss poly out of a can has worked well.

Back