What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fun With Google Maps

339A

Well Known Member
Not that this is anything new or earth shaking, but here is a great way to keep track of all your RV travels.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=101202229641430519242.00045422cc560f3467228&ll=39.639538,-94.130859&spn=34.921682,78.046875&z=4

My wife and I (mostly Deb) have spent some time recently playing with Google Maps. It really is amazing what you can do with this program. We have just begun using it and have set up a map of all the airports that 339A has landed at. We used different color pins to represent respective years of first landings. You can edit the text box and write whatever you like in there. We have included the total number of landings and anything interesting that might have happened at that airport.

Another very cool thing is the satellite view. If you click on the Grand Turk pin change to satellite view and zoom in you get a great picture of the island and very blue Caribbean waters. Zoom in all the way to view the runway.

Our next goal is to get pictures of all the airports inserted in there as well. We have a few like Ashland, KY; Goodland, KS; Front Range (home base); Mt. Vernon, IL; and the island of Grand Turk. These have to be linked to an on-line photo album like Picasa. The great thing about this is it?s all free. You just have to have an e-mail account and off you go.

I have tried in the past to keep a map of the USA on a wall at home to track travels, but it just didn?t work out. This is easy to keep updated. I am amazed at all the places we have been with this plane in just two and a half years.

Scott, you need to get around more....

Look like you've been avoiding the east coast, Texas and the NW states.

Vans Home Coming is soon. You could put a pin in Oregon.:)

Kent

Tracking Airports with Google Maps

I have been using the Google maps for my flights as well but learned something new when I saw yours. I hadn't realized that I could change the marker icons, so now mine is all updated for various trips.

So I have a question that is slightly off subject...
Has anyone actually landed at Greater Green River Intergalactic Spaceport? It wasn't one of the fuel stops on the way to Oshkosh but as you fly by, you can't help to think about the possibilities.

Their runway notes are also interesting;
RY SOFT WHEN WET. DEEP RUTS & TALL GRASS FULL LENGTH OF RY.
ARPT ON TOP OF MOUNTAIN; LAND DESCENDS VERY STEEPLY FROM RWY ENDS.
NO LINE OF SIGHT BTN RWY ENDS.
NO SNOW REMOVAL AVAILABLE.
UNCONTROLLED VEHICLE ACCESS.
+3 FT BERM NEAR RY EDGES ENTIRE LENGTH OF RY.
LOCAL CONTACT MIKE NELSON.
WIDTH MAY VARY BASED ON GRADING.
NO OFF RUNWAY PARKING AVAILABLE.

Me Too!

Since My hangar mate posted his landing sites I thought I should do the same. Deb outdid me, color coding the pins to match the year, so hers is much more colorful.

So here's our map. It really shows where we need to go next; the right coast.

http://maps.google.com/?mid=1218812450

Last edited:
More Fun

Look like you've been avoiding the east coast, Texas and the NW states.

I know, I know, I have to get out more....Looks like I should get a couple of Texas pins next month as I have a work project in Sedrift, TX right after Labor day. So I'll need to gas stop on the way also. Weather permitting of course.

Greater Green River Intergalactic Spaceport
Is this actually on the planet earth? If so where? Would almost be worth stopping in....Nope I have a 9A, can't land on grass :rolleyes:

I want to hear more about your other wife/wives!
Honestly, who would want to deal with more than one wife? (She's a great girl!) She actually has a couple of names. Riley being the newest, as in Living the Life of Riley....

So here's our map. It really shows where we need to go next; the right coast.

Off to the right coast we go next then, Gary. BTW your link doesn't appear to be working. Make sure it's set to public?

Working Now

If it didn't save any of this i'm gonna be, well, mad.
Looks like you can stay happy now. Even if the weather isn't conducive to flying in Colorado this weekend.

That's a lot of pins! We hope to get that many someday....

Back