What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Commercial foam equivalent (A-B or Floatation)

Freemasm

Well Known Member
Didn’t find anything in a search.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a (locally available) commercial A-B or Floatation foam equivalent? I have to shape my air inlet - filter box flow path. Whatever foam I utilize will be glassed in place. Because the glass-in area will have to be vented, exposure to water would be a possibility. Exposure to fuel or oil less so.

Anyone done any testing of any readily available commercial products. PM me if you don’t want to throw it out to public scrutiny.

Let me know. Thx.

From the Lessons Learned The Hard Way file...

Do not encapsulate any significant quantity of pour-in-place foam. It doesn't work well with changes in atmospheric pressure. Over time, fiberglass surfaces with underlying PIP foam will develop lumps and depressions.

I had some 2lb density in the flat part of the wingtips to provide support so I could block them to perfection. In about six months they looked like an elephants butt. I had a far smaller amount above the reshaped cowl inlets. One of them formed a small depression in the skin. I was able to correct it by venting from the inside with a tiny hole; the outer skin eventually returned to its original profile.

PIP is very useful for forms, but long term it's not the same as the block foams.

Floatation foam is designed to sit in boat hulls and many application have almost constant water contact. It seems unlikely that it is not designed to handle this environment.

Larry

foam

OH ya another don't do is put that instant foam in a can from Home Depot.
We install all the doors in the houses we build.
10 years or so ago we installed a pair of French doors on the north side of the home for covered patio access.
A year and 4 months later the guy calls and says his doors won't close .
Had to go there and remove the trim and cut out the foam.
Seems we used to much and it swelled. But why did it wait so long?????
Kicker is it was 15 months after we installed the doors.
Really bowed the jams in.
We quit using full fill and went to spot installation.
Never had a problem since.
Your luck will vary Art

Back