What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Right Angle Headset Plug Adapter?

Tcheairs

Well Known Member
Has anyone seen or heard of a source for a dual plug RIGHT ANGLE adapter for aviation headset (standard 1/4" male monitor and mic male). My situation is that my headset plugs are located overhead on the canopy bow of my RV7A and it's a pita to load anything into the back cargo area without having to negotiate the headset cords. Yes, I could unplug them but repeated plugging and unplugging with ultimately cause them to fail. My plan is to relocate the headset plugs at the instrument panel via extension cables, however this doesn't solve the problem of the straight plugs sticking down in the way of the cargo loading.

Right angle adapters are available for the speaker monitor plug, but I am unable to find a rt adapter for the mic plug.

Yes, I know I should relocate the the whole setup to the front panel but I'm not capable of that project at the present time.
Thanks

Yes, I could unplug them but repeated plugging and unplugging with ultimately cause them to fail.
Thanks

I highly doubt that. Flight schools use planes for 1000's of hours with a plug in / out event every hour of flight.

Yes, I could unplug them but repeated plugging and unplugging with ultimately cause them to fail.
Thanks

In fact failure to plug and unplug causes the headset connections to become tarnished and unusable over time. I've replaced more than one headset jack for exactly that reason. Plus they're cheap, even for good ones, so wearing them out is not a serious cost driver.

Might I suggest you consider finding a way to route your headset cables off to the side (have them come over your outside shoulder rather than inside shoulder when you are seated) as a means of reducing this frustration?

I highly doubt that. Flight schools use planes for 1000's of hours with a plug in / out event every hour of flight.

Agreed. I have fixtures that every CQ Headset passes through that have seen many thousands of plug in/out cycles that are just fine.

"repeated plugging and unplugging with ultimately cause them to fail."

These came from AT&T and were used on switchboards for years and were plugged and unplugged several times a day. They were designed to be unplugged.

Like explained above, just unplug them when you need access. No problem.

Back