What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Ground Proximity callout down to Touch Down

I ordered one and will give a review when installed. I have the same type of system on the b737 and this will be a cool addition to my rv6.

I ordered one and will give a review when installed. I have the same type of system on the b737 and this will be a cool addition to my rv6.

Love to hear if it helps landings. I have certainly thought about this as a training aid.

Cool idea...all that's missing is "retard! retard!"...

So, where would the LIDAR be best installed on an RV? It would need to be out of the engine exhaust stream, I'd think

So, where would the LIDAR be best installed on an RV? It would need to be out of the engine exhaust stream, I'd think

My plane already yells that at me whenever I bounce a landing. But the emphasis is on the first syllable :rolleyes:

Thank you. A unit will be shipped out later today and you will get the Tracking number once shipped.

Possible locations are under the seats. Or using an Access Panel on the wing. Some makes the two holes needed so the entire unit is inside.

We have a taildragger customer who decided to put it all the way at the back, just to see how far his tail off the ground on touch down. The unit can be offset and calibrated to say Zero right on touch down even though it will the installed much higher than the ground. Though as a disclaimer; anything between 9" and 12" the unit will say (one). Between 0" & 4" reading, it will say Zero. The repetition is only once, so one can stay at one feet the entire runway and it will say one once. It will say one again if one would just go 4" above or lower then back again. We are able to load a firmware that works on inches, with precise readings with +/- 1 inch. Though GARMIN own docs says its 2" accurate when installed 1m above the surface to be measured.

The LIDAR unit is really small, it will not affect cruise speed if installed fully outside.

To check if the location is proper before final installation, some just make a temp access panel, drill that and place the LIDAR there for testing.

Here are some photos which show a customer's fitting with the previous GARMIN model, now we are shipping the newer GARMIN (High Performance) units. Both are identical except the newer one takes 50mA less power to operate and have a better case with integrated wires rather than a wire connection).

Thank you for your interest.

L1.jpeg

L2.jpeg

L3.jpeg

LIDAR_HP.png

Exclusive for vansairforce forum viewers: $100 off coupon code for the online store.

Use Code: VANS_0419 to the get $100 off on the Landing Height Controller.

Checkout other videos on https://www.enginebridge.com/product/landing-height-controller-copy/

Here is the video link if the click on the photo did not work: https://youtu.be/upyEWxev59k

Thanks for watching.

This looks like a great product, I'm very interested!

I looked through the docs, I see that you can play all messages via the terminal interface,can you change/configure them? For example if I wanted different call out intervals?

This looks like a great product, I'm very interested!

I looked through the docs, I see that you can play all messages via the terminal interface,can you change/configure them? For example if I wanted different call out intervals?

The terminal play allows testing of the audio before removing the USB cable. The USB cable is there to input the LIDAR "actual vertical installed height" above ground. The unit can be looking at the ground at an angle, so during first setup, the controller uses both values (measured from the LIDAR) and the customer input value to triangulate if needed. It will also outputs to the screen raw data of the LIDAR return measured value which can be checked with tape measure to make sure it is within 2", by extending a tape measure in a straight line from the LIDAR glass to the ground.

The callout is currently hard-coded. During the first year of pre-release testing in several installations, the firmware went through many adjustments and enhancements to try to get the best algorithm and sequence. The first ever firmware used to callout during take off as well which is now removed with an algorithm to detect a proper descend profile before activating the callout. The controller now builds a profile of the readings and once the descend profile is confirmed, then the audio section is enabled.

Also, it used to callout while flying, back then I actually once got a 50 feet callout while at pattern altitude. A bird passed right down :)

Another change; callout used to be starting at 120 feet which is the max range of the LIDAR. One installation on grass airfield used to get these calls above trees. The descent profile algorithm now uses the 120 feet to 80 feet for the detection of the profile, and callout starts at 70'. This also makes sure at 70 feet you already crossed the fence boundary and probably reaching just before the numbers. Some may still get some trees if they get to within 70 feet of top of several trees together. The LIDAR sees a group of trees as a surface.

One of the issue to consider is that generally on a 500 f/min approach, the airplane is going down at little above 8 feet / second. Considering a call out will take 1 to 1.5 seconds (audio length of the callout), by the time you hear 70, you probably at 60 feet. And some even come in at 800 f/min or more. So part of the algorithm is to make a band in the range (like between 48' to 55') to announce 50. It gets better as you start to slow down the descend rate after passing the numbers. Through testing, the best so far which been reported by many is callout of 70,50,20.10,5,2,1,0. which is what is coded now. You may see some videos that says 60, that would be an older firmware. We are always happy to get input from customers for ideas to enhance the firmware.

Sorry if this is a longer reply than needed, hope this answers your question and gives more insight on the controller operation.

Regards

Glad to see someone took this all the way to a marketable product.

👍 Thumbs Up

Back in 2016, the initial design did not use a LIDAR at all, it was a unit that gets a GPS position from GNS430W with a built-in high capacity flash chip that holds an accurate world-wide terrain and AGL data; then the unit callout the height based on GPS & terrain map. It worked successfully especially when a very high resolution terrain map is stored within the chip. Though the complexity of generating & updating the map plus the need to have a reasonably precise GPS source made make that not easily available to any airplane. The extra cost of adding an internal GPS/Antenna is a factor.

Several tries with Infrared were made, though a hot surface runway is not infrared-friendly. Garmin LIDAR is ideal and even though its near-infrared it performed well on most all conditions.

Still waiting for a seaplane or amphibious to give it a go :), though expected it will not bounce back, but some initial trials with a drone did get some positive indication that more work on a special firmware can resolve some of these issues.

I volunteer

Check your PM inbox please.

If you are looking for an Amphibious test on water and runways to Alaska and back.

Gear

Request for your next product...

Landing Gear Controller (has lidar and airspeed inputs... gear extends when at flying speed and less than xxx feet agl, retracts at flying speed and above xxx agl).

Request for your next product...

Landing Gear Controller (has lidar and airspeed inputs... gear extends when at flying speed and less than xxx feet agl, retracts at flying speed and above xxx agl).

Thanks for sharing.

We do have the Auto-Extend controller here: Landing Gear Safety Controller

On videos hosted on the Landing Height Controller, one video shows actual auto-extension when the set speed is reached. It's only using Pitot/Static hookup to the built-in differential pressure sensor. If the speed reached low enough, then it will activate, and there is an override for those who want to practice stalls.

We did get a request to combine both the Landing Height and Gear Safety units but that did not pickup any momentum yet. An earlier unit of the Landing Height did include a CANBus so other sensors/units can talk with it, but then it was later removed for cost.

The Landing Gear Warning Module also includes Pitot/Static but only gives verbal warning, no control or action other than announcements in the headset.

The Audio Alert System even though it can be used for Gear Warning, its really meant to transfer all standard other warnings into vocal/audio to the headset. Such as Canopy open when the airplane starts to roll, or Fuel pump been operating more than certain min, or even fuel pump did not start for certain number of minutes, and all kind of other custom warnings.

Years ago before all this colored glass panels, we used to notice any flashing lights on the panel and that did get our attention directly. Nowadays, its easy to miss a flashing warning as our eyes are getting used to the Glass Panel changing pages and refresh rates making it easier to miss a warning unless it comes out big on the screen. So converting these warning to a audio to be heard on the intercom or headset is better including the most-needed landing gear is still up.

Regards
Nidal

Was looking at another one for experimental that was much higher; will try this one. Probably split one access panel and install on there.

As I see it, this will work well in smooth terrain only, is that correct?

Our strip is on top of a ridge so I suspect it will go from 20 or 30 feet to zero as you cross the threshold, is that correct?

Our strip is on top of a ridge so I suspect it will go from 20 or 30 feet to zero as you cross the threshold, is that correct?

Depends on what you mean by works well? It's reading the height above ground, not MSL. If your strip is on the side of a hill, then yea it may go from 50 feet to 10 feet as the ground level quickly rises. Same issues that the "big boys" have for their ground proximity radar right?

I just submitted my order as I think it's a cool gadget. May not be perfect in every scenario as you point out you have to understand what the info it's providing you means.

That's an interesting scenario Bill. So when you reach the top flat part, the airplane is normally 30 ft? 50 ft?

Well, unless the ridge is straight down, the LIDAR will probably detect the slope up to the top flat area and can see the 100 ft then 80 ft then 70 ft and so on to allow the Controller to recognize a descending profile and to announce normally even before reaching the top flat part.

I just looked at the firmware to check this, it can still detect even if it started to see flat surfaces @ 30 ft then getting lower, it should announce 20,10,5,2,1,0 as normal.

On a normal approach, you should cross the threshold at 50ft. This should work just like the radar altimeter in the boeing.

That's an interesting scenario Bill. So when you reach the top flat part, the airplane is normally 30 ft? 50 ft?

Well, unless the ridge is straight down, the LIDAR will probably detect the slope up to the top flat area and can see the 100 ft then 80 ft then 70 ft and so on to allow the Controller to recognize a descending profile and to announce normally even before reaching the top flat part.

I just looked at the firmware to check this, it can still detect even if it started to see flat surfaces @ 30 ft then getting lower, it should announce 20,10,5,2,1,0 as normal.

On a normal approach, you should cross the threshold at 50ft. This should work just like the radar altimeter in the boeing.

It depends on my approach and the runway I'm landing at. Some really short strips, I will aim to touchdown at the very end. If I cross at 50', with the -9, I will float a surprisingly long way down the runway.

It is a cool product, just be aware of it's shortcomings, just like the airlines are.

I received a long email from the company about problems with the lidar and the plan to build new controllers to fix the problem and about swapping them out in july. I just don’t have time to be messing with a non required system for months to try and get it to work. I love the concept and it may be perfect in a few months, but as of now, i am returning the unit for a refund before cutting holes in my plane to mount it.

Of course, you are more than welcome.

But just to clarify, two customers who received the same LIDAR from the same batch reported no-issues. Even with the "bug" we are considering in the LIDAR; the system still works as intended for landing and callouts are still correct on the landing stretch. so it can be used normally. The customer who mentioned that he heard the callout at the wrong time, did confirm the callout came on ok when he got down to 70 and lower down to 0.

The issue was on a level flight or on take off; some callouts are getting through. Which is not a safety matter as the pilot knows he is on downwind and headed 50. It's similar to when a bird passes by under the plane on the early model of the unit two years ago.

And I did mention that it can be solved by firmware upgrade but we preferred to make the LIDAR consistent rather than going around the issue.

On the other hand, the issue could also be related to just how it was installed. Its clear that if there is something else in the LIDAR view (like wheels or fairing or part of the airplane body) which can reflect some beams, this will cause some erratic output for the LIDAR.

The decision to send out the email much-ahead-of-time before we isolate where is the issue was just for transparency. I would personally rather getting such email this early on, rather than getting an issue and then ask about it just to get a reply saying: oh yeah, we knew about this. On the positive side, one good thing about the email sent is that almost 80% of the customers who received the LIDAR from the last batch actually replied back saying they were not going to install it now anyway, rather in month or some even much more.

Regards
Nidal

I received a long email from the company about problems with the lidar and the plan to build new controllers to fix the problem and about swapping them out in july. I just don?t have time to be messing with a non required system for months to try and get it to work. I love the concept and it may be perfect in a few months, but as of now, i am returning the unit for a refund before cutting holes in my plane to mount it.

The decision to send out the email much-ahead-of-time before we isolate where is the issue was just for transparency. I would personally rather getting such email this early on

I got the unit, and got the email ... no plans to install in the near future (just finished condition inspection).

I appreciated the transparency and info, and was glad to get the email.

Thanks

I have mine installed in the wing root fairing and have experienced the issues described. I have been in discussions with Nadil and have to say the support and attitude have been excellent.

I am looking forward to getting the updated firmware / hardware and getting the system working 100%

I will reorder and install at a later date. Right now i have just don?t have time to debug the system. I am prepping for oshkosh and rebuilding another engine for a for a friend. My shop is at capacity.

I am posting my comments from a previous thread because I wanted to give an update on my progress with this product in light of the issue I had raised previously in this thread.

I have been trying this system out with a lot of input from Enginebridge who seem to never sleep judging from the numerous responses I got from them in the middle of their night time.

The latest version has a WiFi interface for updates and adjustments which works really well, and the system now seems stable and accurate. Initially I received occasional spurious alerts prior to the landing phase of flight, but the latest version has resolved that.

Obviously it doesn't replace technique, observation and knowing your aircraft but I think as a training aid it could be very useful. I used it when I flew in to a RV event here in Australia at the old WW2 base at Temora. My local runway is narrow, the one at Temora is about three or more times the width, the system really helped with my confidence around the perspective issues (not wanting to bounce the length of the runway in front of a 1000 people) ��.

Flying along the runway while the system announces "one..one..one..one..zero" as you touch is pretty cool.

So I like it, and FWIW although I have been doing a fair bit of testing of the product I have no connection to, or interest in, Enginebridge, I have just enjoyed getting this product installed and working in my aircraft.

Hmmm. A three degree glideslope is equivalent to 300 ft / nm. Crossing the threshold at 50 ft and three degrees means touching down 1,000 ft down the runway. That's fine for jets on an ILS but poor technique for, say, an RV landing on a 2000 ft runway with clear approaches.

The key point is that for GA, the term "normal" is really undefined, and at best misleading. After all, what's the "normal" runway length for GA? Normal winds? etc.

A key benefit of GA is the flexibility in so many aspects of operation. What the airlines seek to do is to standardize everything to minimize risk. Different styles for different goals.

Also, in jets it's common to reduce power to idle at 20 or 30 feet. In GA, throttle response is much faster, allowing for a variety of touchdown techniques.

And if you're counting on a voice callout for altitude and it only resolves to one foot, your landings in an RV aren't going to be all that gentle. There's better cues to use.

Last edited:
Umm

I think you might get a nasty surprise pulling the power off at 20-30 feet in quite a few jets...

If you did that in a 727, you would open the cockpit door to find the rubber jungle...

In the 767, the landing can be hard enough to slow the earth?s rotation...:eek:

I think you might get a nasty surprise pulling the power off at 20-30 feet in quite a few jets...

If you did that in a 727, you would open the cockpit door to find the rubber jungle...

...and if you did that in a CRJ200, you'd float waaaay past the touchdown zone while thinking that you were supposed to wipe the power off at the 50' callout ;)

RJ 200

Never had the "opportunity" to fly the rj...though I get a kick out of some of the jumpseat briefings..."Don't worry, it going to look bad but we will be ok...":D

[/QUOTE if you're counting on a voice callout for altitude and it only resolves to one foot, your landings in an RV aren't going to be all that gentle. There's better cues to use.[/QUOTE]

I would hope no one would rely on this system instead of things like looking out the window, but nonetheless I have found it to be a useful addition to the all the other information I would take into account on landing. If the system resolved to inches it might get a bit verbose.

So out of interest how long should we take to descend the last 12 inches? At a stately 60 knots 1 second is 100 feet of runway, so at my strip at least I won't be waiting too long. 😁

voice

It is kind of funny, once you get used to callouts the only time you will realize how accustomed you have become is when they aren't there...it usually ends with a firm landing!:D

I would hope no one would rely on this system instead of things like looking out the window, but nonetheless I have found it to be a useful addition to the all the other information I would take into account on landing. If the system resolved to inches it might get a bit verbose.

First, thank you Peter for your feedback and also for the many flights you made to checkout the various settings of the V3HP LIDAR. In particular, the ones you are waiting on hold line for your winter weather to get a break just to do one circuit :)

Yes, no one ever should rely on this or any other devices for landing. Not the intention of this system. Even for those who have been using it with a high-performance experimental pressurized airplanes and asked us if it can be used when there is fog on the runway.

The system gives a huge aid for the situations where one is used to 50ft wide runways for most of their flying then needed to go to a 150ft runway, also night landing, and also after a long VFR flight where the eyes are tired from scanning the sky or traffic. Basically, any situation where our eyes play tricks in regard to height.

Many said it helped a lot when transitioning to a higher-performance airplane. And also we got some feedback that it does give them an extra confidence and they developed their own technique to when to pull the power for perfect touchdown regardless if they came in bit faster or higher than usual.

It is kind of funny, once you get used to callouts the only time you will realize how accustomed you have become is when they aren't there...it usually ends with a firm landing!:D

I have to wonder if the real value in a GPWS is in larger aircraft where the pilot sits way up at the nose and the main gear is halfway (or more?) back on a 100' long fuselage. I've watched Q400's landing in front of my house recently, and they seem to vary widely from nose up to nose nearly level on touchdown. I have attributed this to differences in loading configuration, but i'm sure there are other factors. But the variation means a pilot could be 10 feet above the runway, or 20 feet, when the mains touch. With no aircraft structure in front of you or in your peripheral vision, the sight picture can't be easy to learn.

In the RV, we're right over the gear. We're always at the same elevation when the mains touch. Learning the sight line took a few landings, but I think I can already guess when i'm within a foot of the runway. What would be nice is something that could call out that "last foot" accurately. Maybe a tone that beeps increasingly fast until it goes "flatline" just when a wheel touches? It would need to know the difference between touching both wheels at once, or touching one first in a crosswind. This would be a much harder challenge technically, which is probably why nobody has done it.

For amphibs

Glassy water where you literally can not see if you are 100ft, 50ft or 5 ft

The LIDAR side of things needs a little more work yet before it is a useful / reliable tool.

For the time being conventional techniques (Sink rate of less than 80 fpm) or avoiding the hazard by waiting for ripples is the smart plan.
Formation approaches also work where #2 can see the reflection of the lead and call the altitude.

Glassy water where you literally can not see if you are 100ft, 50ft or 5 ft

The LIDAR side of things needs a little more work yet before it is a useful / reliable tool.

For the time being conventional techniques (Sink rate of less than 80 fpm) or avoiding the hazard by waiting for ripples is the smart plan.
Formation approaches also work where #2 can see the reflection of the lead and call the altitude.

Agree, For amphibs LIDAR does not a little more work.

We have made a special version of the Controller just for that and currently working with a customer who did a few flights. That unit just logs everything that the LIDAR sees, we are waiting for the Logs to view and analyze. Some readings were correct and GARMIN tech guys did suggest some various settings to change within the LIDAR to improve this for amphibians.

It is expected for this specific LIDAR to work correctly when there are ripples. The ripples do reflect the beams back correctly. It's the glassy water situations where the beams tend to not come back. We did not give up on this yet and we are hoping to do more testing with an upgraded version shortly.

My briefing

Never had the "opportunity" to fly the rj...though I get a kick out of some of the jumpseat briefings..."Don't worry, it going to look bad but we will be ok...":D

That was my standard jumseatbrief when I flew the 200. The 7 and 9 are totally different animals. I have flown all 3 in the same day. Talk about messing with your head.

I do plan to order this and install. I am a few years from flying. I just need it to call me a retard so I know when to pull the power... like at work, :D:D:D

RV10 install -LIDAR

I wanted to provide a quick thumbs up to Nidal and the Kit he has put together for the Ground Proximity callout. After installing the latest version of the kit and then the subsequent swap out to a prior version of the Garmin LIDAR, I was pleasantly surprised at how the latest version with WiFi worked. This new feature is a pleasant addition and makes setup and diagnostics very simple.
I had installed my wire using twisted pair shielded cable for both the PWM and IC2 circuit. The IC2 did not like this and therefore it took me a while with the help of Nidal to figure out. A quick change to straight wire cable and the unit worked as advertised straight out of the box with only requiring the sensor height to be set.
I have flown with this a couple times and where I think it will be extremely beneficial is landing on grass strips while crossing power lines or trees. The call out helps ensure clearance of obstacles but it?s not an absolute guarantee. It can get a little busy in your ears while near touch down at say 1 foot off the ground with the stall warning or AOA talking to you and the height call outs but your brain quickly gets it sorted out.
Great product and is fun to have in the airplane.
Keep up the great support and product development Nidal.

Thank you Gaylon for your feedback, comments and post review. It is highly appreciated and was great working with you to isolate the issue.

Regards
Nidal

RV-10 Installation and Review

I recently installed the Landing Height Controller in my RV-10. I decided to evaluate it in my airplane for possible inclusion in the SwitchBlade Flying Sports Car (WWW.SamsonSky.com or https://www.facebook.com/SamsonSkySwitchblade/). More about that later.

I installed mine in the lower wing root cover just behind the main wheel. I mounted it flush with the skin which made for a very easy installation. I'm sorry that I don't have pictures but there really isn't much to show that hasn't already been shown in previous installation pictures. I mounted the controller right next to the LIDAR unit which makes for simplified wiring.

After I installed the unit, I didn't actually fly my plane for a couple of weeks. I was on a 2-hour flight and quite frankly, I had forgotten about having it installed until I was on short final and heard the 70' call out, then 50', 20'... When I got to about the 6' callout, I raised the nose to a positive angle and pulled the last bit of power as it was calling out 2', 1' and it said "0" right as the mains chirped. I mean exactly at the same time. I had the same experience on my return trip. Very impressive.

I have never had trouble making decent landings in the RV-10 but I suspect that this unit will make every landing that much better and especially when going from smaller to larger runways. Highly recommended. You will make better, more consistent landings.

As far as including it in the SwitchBlade, I have already made a strong recommendation to make it standard equipment in every kit.

One thing of note is Nidal's exceptional support. We see a fair amount of good support in the experimental product space and Nidal's has been among the very best, including providing a free upgrade to the latest hardware and firmware.

If you have any questions about the installation or its use, don't hesitate to contact me.

This product is well worth the price.

Thank you Nick for your kind comments and great feedback. It's highly appreciated.

I think the LHC will be great addition to the SwitchBlade and we are looking forward to that project.

Regards
Nidal

I recently installed the Landing Height Controller in my RV-10. I decided to evaluate it in my airplane for possible inclusion in the SwitchBlade Flying Sports Car (WWW.SamsonSky.com or https://www.facebook.com/SamsonSkySwitchblade/). More about that later.

I installed mine in the lower wing root cover just behind the main wheel. I mounted it flush with the skin which made for a very easy installation. I'm sorry that I don't have pictures but there really isn't much to show that hasn't already been shown in previous installation pictures. I mounted the controller right next to the LIDAR unit which makes for simplified wiring.

After I installed the unit, I didn't actually fly my plane for a couple of weeks. I was on a 2-hour flight and quite frankly, I had forgotten about having it installed until I was on short final and heard the 70' call out, then 50', 20'... When I got to about the 6' callout, I raised the nose to a positive angle and pulled the last bit of power as it was calling out 2', 1' and it said "0" right as the mains chirped. I mean exactly at the same time. I had the same experience on my return trip. Very impressive.

I have never had trouble making decent landings in the RV-10 but I suspect that this unit will make every landing that much better and especially when going from smaller to larger runways. Highly recommended. You will make better, more consistent landings.

As far as including it in the SwitchBlade, I have already made a strong recommendation to make it standard equipment in every kit.

One thing of note is Nidal's exceptional support. We see a fair amount of good support in the experimental product space and Nidal's has been among the very best, including providing a free upgrade to the latest hardware and firmware.

If you have any questions about the installation or its use, don't hesitate to contact me.

This product is well worth the price.

I installed the Engine Bridge Landing Height Controller a few days ago in my RV10. I installed the LIDAR sensor in the left lower wing root cover as suggested by Nick Leonard. I installed the sensor about half way back from the front spar. I installed the controller under the left seat. I reused the alert audio line that was previously used for the Vans stall warning, which I disconnect long ago in favor of the AOA. Therefore, there was only one audio output wire used...High only, no Low wire, and it works great.

For my test flight, I flew to breakfast this morning with a friend who has a turbocharged Glassair III. We were both impressed how the altitude callout worked flawlessly. The Landing Height Controller said, ?Zero? just as the wheels touched down. This unit is great! It was easy to install; the only tedious part was opening up the plane to run wires and then putting everything back together.

My friend with the Glassair jokingly suggested that I can now practice Zero-Zero landings! I cannot say I actually need the Landing Height Controller, but it is very cool add-on and I am happy I added it to my RV10. Great Product!

Thank you for your prompt feedback and we are happy you are satisfied with the unit.

It will be appreciated if you guys can add installation photos when you have a chance or next time working on the plane.

Using the Audio +ve (High) single wire works when the Audio Panel is not asking for a Hi/Lo pair. The Audio -ve (Low) is not ground so leaving it unconnected and using the Audio +ve for single wire Audio input to the panel works perfectly as mentioned.

Thanks
Nidal

I installed the Engine Bridge Landing Height Controller a few days ago in my RV10. I installed the LIDAR sensor in the left lower wing root cover as suggested by Nick Leonard. I installed the sensor about half way back from the front spar. I installed the controller under the left seat. I reused the alert audio line that was previously used for the Vans stall warning, which I disconnect long ago in favor of the AOA. Therefore, there was only one audio output wire used...High only, no Low wire, and it works great.

For my test flight, I flew to breakfast this morning with a friend who has a turbocharged Glassair III. We were both impressed how the altitude callout worked flawlessly. The Landing Height Controller said, ?Zero? just as the wheels touched down. This unit is great! It was easy to install; the only tedious part was opening up the plane to run wires and then putting everything back together.

My friend with the Glassair jokingly suggested that I can now practice Zero-Zero landings! I cannot say I actually need the Landing Height Controller, but it is very cool add-on and I am happy I added it to my RV10. Great Product!

Well, we will just have to respectfully disagree on this one..
Many thousands of hours in both and it just ain?t so.

As to the need for call outs in an RV, well, to each his own.

Really?

Then we'll have to disagree...

I have witnessed the rubber jungle in the 727. In fact, the OE instructor almost had a coronary when the FO swiped the power off at 20-30 feet...

I also have many thousands of hours in the 767 and with the GE engines, you are going to get a hard landing pulling the power at 20-30 feet...and possibly a tail strike.

Enjoy retirement...I'm still working in the mines...

Last edited:
Back