What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

The Unhappy Cracky Club

Nicely done repair! Canopy issues are my biggest worry. I really don't want to go through all that again. More so the windshield....

It's surely interesting that so many canopies bonded on with Sikaflex have developed serious cracks.

Last edited:
oversize the holes and screw it on so it floats and has room to expand may be one method to eliminate cracks.

Compae the coefficient of expansion of the plexi with the aluminum (IIRC it's a factor greater than 3) It gets significant as the edge of the canopy grows in length.

That's a nice repair. Too bad there isn't a similar product that is transparent. Or is there? There is a guy near Montreal here with a 4 who has had to replace his canopy several times. Big temperature variations up here between winter and summer and his hangar is not heated.

Compae the coefficient of expansion of the plexi with the aluminum (IIRC it's a factor greater than 3) It gets significant as the edge of the canopy grows in length.

yes, by analysis, if you connect two dissimilar pieces and then apply a temperature delta, the max stress is in the middle. exactly where this canopy cracked.

Sport Aviation Plexi Repair Article

Recently, I've been editing articles from old copies of Kitplanes and Sport Aviation. The November 2007 issue of Sport Aviation has a great article regarding a major Plexi repair. It was on the top turret for a B 25. Repair came out very well, with good optics. The article author is Scott Bixler. Article starts on page 100. Check it out.

Charlie

Too bad someone couldn't come up with a canopy material that was crack proof!
That would be great until you are upside down and trying to get out. It is a pain to change the canopy, but not that bad once you just dive in and do it.

Timing

Yes, but surely the migration to Sikaflex was prompted almost exclusively by the initial belief that bonded canopies would not crack.

Would that be at the time of construction (i.e. drilling a hole and hearing a "crack"), or sometime later, once the plane is flying? It is a bit of a dilemma to decide what fixing method to use; some hard data would be helpful.

Yes, but surely the migration to Sikaflex was prompted almost exclusively by the initial belief that bonded canopies would not crack.
I thought the benefit was that canopies wouldn't have stress concentration points (like screw holes). So the chance of cracking would be *reduced*. I don't think anyone could guarantee no cracks ever, when moving between temperature extremes.

I'm without numeric data to support this, but based on posts here on VAF there still seems to be a higher percentage of cracks in screwed canopies than Sikaflex'd canopies.

-8A Canopy Cracking

I was an early Sikaflex user - not a single rivet in the canopy. However, after six years I developed cracks on both sides forward of the cross bar.

I believe they were caused by inadvertent stress risers induced during the clamping steps of attaching the canopy to the rails. And perhaps not paying excruciating attention to smoothing the canopy edge.

Anybody out there have an UNCUT RV-8 plexi that could do a simple experiment?
Measure the overall length of the canopy at 55F (or colder) - than again after you bring it in & warm it up to about 85F, to determine how much that big hunk of plastic actually expands lengthwise. This will illustrate how much tension this assembly has to deal with on a repetitive basis.
Unfortunately, it would be much harder to measure sideways & diagonal expansion rates.

Another experiment - anybody out there have a bit of Sikaflex that they could rig a test fixture to see how flexable a 4 ft glued flat plate to a 1/2 tube will move laterally to simulate plexi expanding along a RV8 canopy frame?
I know it is called SikaFLEX, but is it in this situation?

Last edited:
The expansion coefficient is part of the manufacturers data and specification.

Here's something I just copied

Product

Inches/Foot/100 ?F
Plexiglas? sheet Aluminum Lexan

.062 .016 3.75 10^-5 in/in/Deg F

I woke up to a big crack in my canopy last time I was home and also used PlastiFix to repair it. That stuff is legit! I haven't had time or warm enough temps to polish it out yet, but I got a MicroMesh kit to do the work and hopefully it turns out as nice as yours did!

Sadly I didn't take any good photos of the crack or PlastiFix work (I know, I know. I've already reprimanded myself), but my crack is on the right side just forward of the crossbar behind the pax seat and is about 11" long. I flew a few times after the repair with no issues...and it was COLD!

My canopy was drilled and riveted, with oversized holes, but the crack did originate from one of the holes. My thoughts are that the builder didn't spend enough time deburring and polishing the holes before installation...they look kinda rough.

I'll be sure to take pix of the fix and polishing this summer when I get round to do it...

PlastiFix - https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/cmpages/01-00542-45.php?clickkey=8215

Micro-Mesh - https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/cspages/micromeshstd.php

I wonder if some of this could be exacerbated by assembling the canopy in a relatively cold shop, vs doing it in a warm shop? If it were assembled and allowed to cure at the upper end of the temperature range, then if it were cooled the Plexi would only be placed in compression, not tension. Does anyone know if Plexi has better compressive strength than tensile?

Scott, it might be a good idea to add this writeup to the RV Wiki on the Matronics page. The writeup I did that compiled all of the knowledge available at the time for installing canopies with Sika (back when I was building and planned to use that method, but before I got that far and eventually bought a flying RV instead) is still there, with photos, 13 years later.

http://www.matronics.com/wiki/index.php/Gluing_Your_Canopy

The coefficient of thermal expansion of plexiglass sheet is .062" per foot per 100 F. That's a lot. Also, from ePlastics.com:
To ensure good performance in environments where temperature varies widely, Plexiglas® sheet should be installed in a channel frame that permits the sheet to expand and contract freely. The channel frame should be deep enough for the sheet to contract fully and still stay within the frame.

Avoid inflexible fasteners such as bolts that do not permit expansion and contraction. Tapes and sealants that adhere to both the acrylic sheet and the frame should be sufficiently extensible to accommodate thermal expansion of both.

Last edited:
Seems to me the optimal temp for gluing is the mean between the highest expected temp, and the lowest expected temp that the unit will be exposed to.
The last Sika job I did, I modified the frame to under size enough to provide a 1/2 inch buffer/ gap between the frame and the canopy. Further, I put 'lightening' holes (gaps) in the Sika to enable more flexion in the Sika joint. Plastic soda straws placed on 1/2 inch spacing, to create the holes in the Sika.

However, I wanted to address the repair option when posting this thread, not the original build process with either rivets, screws, or SikaFlex. For those whose canopies suffer cracks---even severe ones like mine---it might be good to know that repair is not only possible but also acceptable. I'll leave the debate over why the cracks occur to another thread.
Understood! I was suggesting that the article go on the Wiki, but not on the Sikaflexing page... that was just an example. A different page could be added for Repairing Canopy Cracks.

It was an excellent writeup, and it would be great if it could withstand the test of time and not be subject to image hosting companies disappearing.

Missing posts?

Be ever hearing, but never understanding,
Be ever seeing, but never perceiving.
---Isa 6:9

I don't understand. The first post I see in this thread is this one but members are commenting on the repair. Did some posts or pages get deleted?

I don't understand. The first post I see in this thread is this one but members are commenting on the repair. Did some posts or pages get deleted?

It would appear that Scott has edited all of his posts, removed the aviation content, and replaced it with scripture.

It would appear that Scott has edited all of his posts, removed the aviation content, and replaced it with scripture.

That is unfortunate. I have a crack in my -4 canopy plexiglass and was optimistic this thread would hold the answers. IIUC, it has been referred to many times.

I will keep looking or start a new thread.

Thanks Kyle