What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Aerospace engineer son graduating. Any job ideas?

dwranda

Well Known Member
Hello all!!
Well my son is graduating this December with his BS in Aerospace engineering from Embry Riddle Daytona. He is crazy busy this last semester, but has managed to apply to 28 positions so far. No phone calls yet(except for a bank in Pa that wanted to talk to him about a sales and marketing job after seeing his resume on Monster. Duh! Really doubt an aerospace engineer wants to do marketing at a bank). Just putting a feeler out there to all the engineer types who may know of a job and could put his name in front of someone. Call me cynical but this applying over the websites scares me since computers can kick you out over something minor.
He will be graduating with a GPA around 3.5 maybe a touch under depending on this semester. He has had a NASA internship at JSC and LOVED it. He would love to do something space related but is definitely open to other things as well. He has also helped me on my 9A build so has some experience with that. Appreciate any tips anybody can give!!
Dave

Dave,

Finding a job is a lot like sales; it's all about the networking. You're doing right by tapping into this network. Make sure he's on LinkedIn. He can search by company and/or profession and just start sending out connection requests. I would specifically search for alums of Embry Riddle. No one loves you more (besides Mom and Dad) than your fellow alums.

When he does connect with someone, it's obvious he's looking for a job. So concentrate on the less obvious. "Do you know anyone that I should talk to?" "If you were me, just starting out, how would you go about finding a job in the area I'm pursuing". Asking someone for advice is a powerful relationship builder. It's less intrusive (who doesn't like to give advice?) and even if for just a few moments, they're thinking about you. If someone will focus on "you" and your situation for just five minutes, it's amazing what contacts, great ideas or advice that a complete stranger can come up with.

Best of luck! Tell him he couldn't be in a better job market.

Dave,

Finding a job is a lot like sales; it's all about the networking. You're doing right by tapping into this network. Make sure he's on LinkedIn. He can search by company and/or profession and just start sending out connection requests. I would specifically search for alums of Embry Riddle. No one loves you more (besides Mom and Dad) than your fellow alums.

When he does connect with someone, it's obvious he's looking for a job. So concentrate on the less obvious. "Do you know anyone that I should talk to?" "If you were me, just starting out, how would you go about finding a job in the area I'm pursuing". Asking someone for advice is a powerful relationship builder. It's less intrusive (who doesn't like to give advice?) and even if for just a few moments, they're thinking about you. If someone will focus on "you" and your situation for just five minutes, it's amazing what contacts, great ideas or advice that a complete stranger can come up with.

Best of luck! Tell him he couldn't be in a better job market.

Awesome advice thank you. I have passed it on to him.

Manager Tools/Career Tools

My advice to him is to go to this website, and just do everything they say. https://www.manager-tools.com/all-podcasts?field_content_domain_tid=5

There is a Career Tools podcast and a lot of supporting material. If he does what they say, he will be ahead of 99.99% of all his "competitors".

If you are a manger of any kind, same advice to you.

These guys really know what they are talking about. They are the Mahlon of management. :)

We're hiring! https://www.sncorp.com/what-we-do/dream-chaser-space-vehicle/

Hello all!!
Well my son is graduating this December with his BS in Aerospace engineering from Embry Riddle Daytona. He is crazy busy this last semester, but has managed to apply to 28 positions so far. No phone calls yet(except for a bank in Pa that wanted to talk to him about a sales and marketing job after seeing his resume on Monster. Duh! Really doubt an aerospace engineer wants to do marketing at a bank). Just putting a feeler out there to all the engineer types who may know of a job and could put his name in front of someone. Call me cynical but this applying over the websites scares me since computers can kick you out over something minor.
He will be graduating with a GPA around 3.5 maybe a touch under depending on this semester. He has had a NASA internship at JSC and LOVED it. He would love to do something space related but is definitely open to other things as well. He has also helped me on my 9A build so has some experience with that. Appreciate any tips anybody can give!!
Dave

He's lucky that he's graduating at a time when major aerospace firms are hiring. Northrop Grumman has plenty of openings for aerospace engineering types at Melbourne, FL, Palmdale, CA, and El Segundo and Redondo Beach, CA.

Airforce?

The Air Force could offer him a few great jobs. Consider having him stop by a recruiter and get some details. Some of the best jobs in the free world are with the Air Force in my opinion.

If a bank was interested maybe he has a few finance courses on his resume? Depends entirely on what he wants to do but have him consider aircraft leasing. I am an aero engineer and moved from a large aircraft manufacturer in Seattle to an aircraft leasing company 20 years ago. Best decision I ever made. Lots of reasons but wow, did I get lucky. We had some Embry Riddle people - great guys, and yes, they stick together.

Check out Raytheon, they are on a crazy hiring binge. Also they are in the middle of a giant merger with United technology. Pretty much anything ?aero? related, missiles /rockets, satellites, lots aircraft platform support/upgrades. I retired from the Indy plant a couple of years ago. We were the Software support activity for the V-22 Osprey. We hired as many ?Aeros? as we could get.
Also if he?s not already on LinkedIn, sign up. I changed my profile to retired and still get lots of ?hits? and they send a lot of local engineering job openings.
Makes me tired just thinking about work......

Raytheon Missile Systems-Tucson

I am at the end of my career at Raytheon as are many and we need young bright engineers to carry the torch.

If he is interested in some challenging opportunities check out RayJobs on the internet.

Tucson in a decent place to live.

Thank you everyone!! I have forwarded all of the opportunities and tips to him. He is also very thankful. He told me tonight he has gotten 2 denial emails from Jacobs and Aerojet, but is under consideration for 3 other Jacobs positions. Hopefully it gets as far as checking references because his NASA mentor will give him a good one.

Airlines?

Has he given any thought to one of the airlines? They hire engineers for performance engineering, as liaisons to technical operations (maintenance) and various other roles.

The salary may not be as good as with a Raytheon or Boeing, but there are free and reduced-rate travel benefits not available from "traditional" engineering firms.

Greensboro NC is an option.

I have been in the Airline and MRO (Mod,Repair,Overhaul) business for 40 years, and worked Liason Engineering on and off in both businesses. Greensboro NC has a huge aviation MFG and repair network, and the company I work for (HAECO) has engineering positions in the MRO as well as the MFG side of our company posted fairly regularly. Also, Honda is right down the street where the Hondajet is built and serviced. Several other aircraft support companies are also in the region. The up and coming engineer will need "entry" positions that aren't always glamorous, but pave the way to so many opportunities. Ironically,in my experience, the Airlines and MRO's have very few engineers with an actual diploma, except the ones that find their way to the big desk. Best of luck to the new engineer!

Northrop Grumman, San Diego
My son graduates from the University of San Diego next year & has already received a firm job offer. He interned there the last couple of years so his hiring was seamless. They are always looking to bring in young talent.

The up and coming engineer will need "entry" positions that aren't always glamorous, but pave the way to so many opportunities. Ironically,in my experience, the Airlines and MRO's have very few engineers with an actual diploma, except the ones that find their way to the big desk. Best of luck to the new engineer!

At least in my experience, it seems most brand-new AEs see MRO/in-service work as sort of beneath them--they're all about designing the next new shiny thing and changing the world or somesuch.

I moved into that world five years ago (it's been that long already?!) and now I don't think I'd ever want to go back to new product development.

I am a manager here at Raytheon Space and Airborne Systems in Texas, though not in engineering. I am also an ERAU Alumni (Prescott). If he finds something he really likes out this way, send me a note. I probably know the hiring manager.

What does he really want to do?

I spent 40 years doing a job that felt important and paid very well for my education level. I never enjoyed my job or the stress it brought into my life.

At the time, though, it seemed like this was all I could do and I was good at it. I just kept moving forward. I never stopped to ask myself if I was happy. I was surviving in a big city and considered myself "successful".

I look back now and all I can think of is, "what a waste".

If I had started my life with the question, "what am I passionate about"? What do I love doing? What would make me happy to get up every morning? - I would have ended up a better, happier, person.

I think the worst part of those years was always being subjugated to a company and a boss. It can be soul-killing.

Your son has had an awesome education. If he's really passionate about space - then focus TOTALLY on that. Don't settle for some other job because it pays the bills.

Also, consider starting his own company if there is something in his life he loves. The education he has will serve him well no matter what job he has. Find something he really enjoys and figure out a way to make some money at it.

I know its easy for me to be flippant when I'm not the one who has the bills to pay, or other obligations. Yet, I think there can be a dangerous mindset when you start out life with the basic concept that you have to get a job, any job, "to pay the bills".

I think a person might have a happier life if they started out with the idea that they are going to work in a area they love regardless of the long-term financial benefits.

This discussion hits close to home; I too, was bore sighted on everything SPACE. Everything I did to get my degree was space oriented. I had dreams of working on the Shuttle program and was well on my way...

...and then Life intervened...

Challenger blew up.

Having a degree that is incredibly specialized, means absolutely nothing when there are no jobs to be had.

I then found out the importance of diversity in education. I would have been MUCH better off to be a Mechanical Engineer with a specialization in Spacecraft, than an Aerospace Engineer; the ME degree opens more doors than the specialized AeroE degree.

Not that it mattered, after Challenger, my life path took a turn, and I found that I far preferred the flying route. Now, after all these years as a Professional Pilot, I am glad that I opted to change my course and pursue what I really love.

...and the view from my office is absolutely stunning...

At least in my experience, it seems most brand-new AEs see MRO/in-service work as sort of beneath them--they're all about designing the next new shiny thing and changing the world or somesuch.

I moved into that world five years ago (it's been that long already?!) and now I don't think I'd ever want to go back to new product development.

This one hits close to home. As a newly minted engineer I walked into my first job at Douglas Aircraft (yes, I'm that old) and was taken under the wing of a grizzled old engineer who walked me around the factory on my first day. We ended up at the final assembly line of the DC-10 where he proceeded to very proudly show me a bracket that he had designed. It was obviously the culmination of the tour. This was an engineer who had probably a 30 year career at that point. His biggest achievement? A bracket. I have no idea what his tenure at Douglas was really like and what challenges he might have had, but from that tour I did know on my first day that I was not going to be him in 30 years. Couldn't have asked for a better or more impactful intro to life at a big company. I remain very grateful for his brief mentorship, but even more grateful for that first eye-opening tour.

An engineering degree opens a lot of doors. Best of luck to your son.

Gone flying...

My experience is very similar to the previous post except it happened through a good friend of mine one year ahead of me in school.

He had the dream job with the Govt division of Motorola, got it made! Good pay, benefits, set for life. Then I heard about the shelf he spent the last year designing! A shelf. In a dark office in the bowels of the ship.

I know engineers get to do lots of different jobs, and a shelf can be just as important as a weapon guidance system. But with lots of engineers each job gets parsed into lots of smaller tasks... These days there aren't too many "big picture" engineers out there who get to do the fun design part.

After hearing the story from my friend, I headed over to the Navy recruiter's office and signed up for AOCS after graduating and then off to flight school.

11 years in the Nav flying tac air and now with a major, never looked back!

Remind your son to keep his head up and his eyes open, he has skills that are in demand all over.

Best of luck!

...and

I had a plant trip/CJO to one of the big GA companies in Wichita...

One of the interview questions was, "Where do you see yourself in this company?"

I answered, "Conceptual Design".

The interviewer, who later became the CEO, LAUGHED at me. He said that I might make it there after about 30 years with the company...and they wonder why the GA designs haven't changed in 50+ years...

Summary of another experience with a structures group at a big company that's starts with a B. They said, "Every engineer knows his nut or bolt", meaning that is about all you get to see of a project. Kind of like the guy designing the shelf...

I would have been MUCH better off to be a Mechanical Engineer with a specialization in Spacecraft, than an Aerospace Engineer; the ME degree opens more doors than the specialized AeroE degree.

You think so?
In my experience an aero engineering degree is considered same as a ME degree and some instances it is viewed higher tech therefore more desirable. I have never thought or heard it limited the opportunities.
My company hires aero engineers to do everything thing from ME, to EE, to computers, to basic physics research.

You think so?
In my experience an aero engineering degree is considered same as a ME degree and some instances it is viewed higher tech therefore more desirable. I have never thought or heard it limited the opportunities.
My company hires aero engineers to do everything thing from ME, to EE, to computers, to basic physics research.

Same, ME and AE are basically the same as far as the OEM aircraft assembler in my area and its suppliers are concerned.

I had a plant trip/CJO to one of the big GA companies in Wichita...

One of the interview questions was, "Where do you see yourself in this company?"

I answered, "Conceptual Design".

The interviewer, who later became the CEO, LAUGHED at me. He said that I might make it there after about 30 years with the company...and they wonder why the GA designs haven't changed in 50+ years...

Summary of another experience with a structures group at a big company that's starts with a B. They said, "Every engineer knows his nut or bolt", meaning that is about all you get to see of a project. Kind of like the guy designing the shelf...

Hired into my company 35 years ago directly into ?conceptual design?. I was one of the first new hires at the company to go directly to adv design. Been there ever since. I have been lucky and now have several planes that start with an X that I designed that are hanging in museums.
We (big company that starts with a letter early in the alphabet) now specifically put young engineers directly into adv design since they have great ideas not been tainted by 30 years of Working the details.

Yes, I do...

Yes, I think, based on my experience, the ME degree is desirable to a larger market of businesses...

When the space industry imploded after Challenger, I sent letters to many companies outside of the aero industry. Where many of my ME friends were getting jobs with mainstream companies my aerospace friends and I were not.

I realize that this was a snapshot in a devastated market but that should not have affected hiring in non aero companies...

Just relating my personal experiences, and for me, it actually worked out for the best. I love my job and it gives me the opportunity to afford and have time for my numerous hobbies...although this -10 build has kind of stagnated my other hobbies...

Yes, I think, based on my experience, the ME degree is desirable to a larger market of businesses...

When the space industry imploded after Challenger, I sent letters to many companies outside of the aero industry. Where many of my ME friends were getting jobs with mainstream companies my aerospace friends and I were not.

I realize that this was a snapshot in a devastated market but that should not have affected hiring in non aero companies...

Just relating my personal experiences, and for me, it actually worked out for the best. I love my job and it gives me the opportunity to afford and have time for my numerous hobbies...although this -10 build has kind of stagnated my other hobbies...

Agree totally and it is the same advice I have given recently to aspiring AE's. If I had to do it over, I would have done ME. EE was too much math ;)

Agree totally and it is the same advice I have given recently to aspiring AE's. If I had to do it over, I would have done ME. EE was too much math ;)

It depends so much on what you define as ?engineering?. In the flight operations world, we had mostly degrees engineers, and it made no difference to us what the initial was along with the ?E? - we made everyone multidisciplinary in their first few years. No systems were pure - everything had mechanical, electrical, structural, and software aspects. You learned it all, or went home.

And yeah - it was a great life!

The degree gets you in the door - you sell yourself by what you can do. If you limit yourself by what type of engineering degree, you?re the only one holding you back....

Paul

There are often jobs out of aerospace engineering that are open to aerospace engineers. Some of these are in research and development, pointing systems, optics and similar.

Dave

1. If you go to work for one of the major companies, you may be the "washer guy" for a bit, working up to be the "bracket guy" some day. If you sign on with a smaller company (less pay and bennys) you may have the entire project.
2. To prove yourself, ask the boss about the most unloved machine, process, or project and then step up to take it over. Research this one carefully beforehand.

I've heard this as well, from guys much closer to my age. And it's not just engineering--my wife was turned down for a job that she had previous experience in, in favor of a fresh college grad, because her degree wasn't the specific one they were looking for. So I'm not sure how much is really the degree, and how much is HR just not understanding what they're looking at.

He said that I might make it there after about 30 years with the company...and they wonder why the GA designs haven't changed in 50+ years...

I plant that one at the feet of the FAA and market forces. The way the rules around certification and cert basis are written really disincentivizes lots of new designs and encourages maximum use and production of existing designs as long as possible. Couple that with low sales volume (read: high per-unit R&D cost) and you don't see much change in the GA field.

To be fair, someone has to do that job; plus, many people lack the desire to do the overall conceptual work and many (most?) lack the skill to do so well. I know I'm not a good designer, but it took me several years designing test facilities (which was more of a big-picture cross-discipline job) and struggling with my own design tasks (workshop, electrical system, panel layout) to realize that. I'm much more suited to my current position, where I do troubleshooting, investigation, and operational stuff. It's more along the lines of what Paul refers to, and I love it for the same get-to-do-a-little-of-everything reasons.

We (big company that starts with a letter early in the alphabet) now specifically put young engineers directly into adv design since they have great ideas not been tainted by 30 years of Working the details.
My first job, fresh out of college, was doing the test facility design I mentioned above. For all practical purposes, I was the senior "mechanical" engineer, doing stuff we'd never really done before at this company. I can't tell you how many mistakes I made and bad habits I picked up that I wouldn't have had I spent a bit of time "paying my dues" in another department, or had a mentor/graybeard around to show me the error of my ways. Of course, that position also afforded me the chance to get my hands a little dirty and do/learn things most engineers never have a chance to, so perhaps that colors my view that engineers should spend at least a few months on the shop floor and a year or two in production/service support before they ever sit down at a CAD station. Of course, I'm probably also still a little salty from dealing with a former coworker who followed my path into lab development, but seemed to think he was God's gift to engineering and refused to listen to or learn from anyone who didn't sign his timecard.

In the end, engineering seems to be one big exercise in learning how much you don't know. As a friend and colleague put it, you get done with your first year of college and think "man, I know stuff!" and look for a co-op or internship. Then you work there, and find out that you didn't know as much as you thought.
Then you graduate, and think "now I know stuff, and I can do things!" And you start your first job, and (hopefully!) find out how little you know, and how much you don't know how to do.
Then you work a few years, and start thinking "ok, finally, now I know stuff, and I know I can do things!". And you move up, or change jobs... and find out how much less you know and how much less you can do.
Then you work a few more years...

It's hard to find a good job in engineering. The jobs most sought after, such as design in a hot field, are even more selective. When you graduate, the options you have are relatively wide open; when you accept that first job offer, the options begin to narrow based on your work experience going forward. That's why it's really important to understand what you'd like to do professionally. Once you have a resume, the only way to change the narrative is to go back to school to get a graduate degree. The most bang for the buck- and effort- is to get a master's at one of the top (1,2,3,4) universities in your field. If that doesn't work financially, you can work full time while pursuing your passion while getting a degree part time- many companies have work study programs. It's amazing how many doors open when you have that masters from a top school. If you don't quite know what your passion is, attend seminars given by top professors at those top universities- figure out how others look at your field. The mantra is never give up- believe in yourself! Best of luck to your son. :)

Such great advice from everyone! I really appreciate it! The applications are continuing to go in, but no bites yet. Like in many peoples lives I'm sure there's the chance he won't figure out exactly what he wants to do for many years. The first step is getting that foot in the door though.

Merit based hiring, are we using best practices?

I often agree with Paul, and his experience at NASA in Houston is his. But my experience in university, private enterprise and manufacturing is different. It seems to me that more and more, it is increasingly difficult to change one?s career path into a different field. During a dozen years as a hiring supervisor, which included hiring Mechanical Engineers and interviewing hundreds of people, I can?t recall any other supervisor bringing in an Aeronautical, or Aerospace Engineer for a face to face interview for a Mechanical Engineer position. I have applied for aeronautical positions and been interviewed. But whenever I have been able to get useful feedback, I?ve been told they hired an aeronautical, for an aeronautical position.

There was a time, years ago, when I have benefited from merit based hiring, to work in new areas based on what I can do; rather than exactly what I have done. But mostly now, unless you have worked for a competitor, doing the exact same job, you are just one of hundreds of applicants who don?t even get a rejection email. H-1b visas also have a profound effect in Silicon Valley opportunities for talented citizens, but I don?t think I should launch into that Vietnam on Vansairforce.

Back