What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

G5 to GTX 327

tangocharlie123

Hi after the install of a G5 I have done a static and pitot leak test and have found the ACK-A30 altitude encoder is a problem on the static system.

Has anyone connected a G5 to a GTX 327 and how did you accomplish it. as I cannot find a install manual / wiring diagram for a GTX 327.

Thanks in Advance

Hi after the install of a G5 I have done a static and pitot leak test and have found the ACK-A30 altitude encoder is a problem on the static system.

Has anyone connected a G5 to a GTX 327 and how did you accomplish it. as I cannot find a install manual / wiring diagram for a GTX 327.

Thanks in Advance

See attached wiring diagram I did a couple of weeks ago containing the connection you desire. This was a dual G5 install with the EFIS/AI G5 used for altitude encoding for the GTX 327. This works great and ditches the ACK encoder, grey code wiring and static line for a digital lightweight solution.

I highlighted the connection in blue color. Pins 5/6 on the G5 to pins 19/25 on the GTX 327 respectively. This is accomplished with one length of two-conductor shielded wire (twisted pair) with the shielding grounded to backshells on each end. In each units setup menu set the G5 serial output to ALITITUDE and the GTX 327 serial input to ICARUS. Ignore the split out I did sending the same signal to the GNC 300XL GPS.

XDriZIQ.jpg

Jim

Last edited:
I have this setup and it works as advertised. Simple serial connection and setting the Icarus protocol on the serial port on the G5.

thanks all done including radio while i was at it..

Jim or Bill how do you test after install just avoiding costs when re certified.

Thanks
Peter

The GTX 327 has pressure altitude readout. I always set mine to read in actual feet and not flight level.

So to test, start by setting barometer on your altimeter to 29.92 so it shows the pressure altitude. Then turn on the avionics and place your GTX-327 into ALT mode and give it a little time to link to the encoder. Now read the pressure altitude digitally displayed on the GTX screen and make sure that it matches the altimeter reading. I often do this in flight, too. With a digital transponder like the 327 you can do an unofficial encoder/altimeter correspondence test on every flight by occasionally changing your altimeter reading to 29.92 and comparing it to the encoder value shown.

Jim

Back