What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Propeller Overhauls in Texas area

Jackson

Several questions here:
-- I am planning on working with Vic Syracuse to do my condition inspection in March. He requires the propeller to be overhauled for him to sign off the inspection. My RV-7 is 16 years old with about 850 hours. The prop has not been overhauled in that time. I do get mixed messages from aircraft owners about the necessity for this, but I am inclined to agree with Vic. Any thoughts pro or con?

-- Are there good shops in the DFW area for overhauls on a constant speed Hartzell propeller?

I just had Byam Propeller service in Ft Worth do an IRAN on my governor and was very pleased with their communication, speed, and the $336.30 invoice after quoting around $500.
I didn't use them to IRAN my prop because I am in Virginia and Sensenich in Pennsylvania did a pickup/delivery. Otherwise I would totally have gone with Byam for the prop.
817-6250161.

Byam Propeller at Meacham (KFTW) did my IRAN earlier this year, and I had them repaint it at the same time, total was right at $1100. I do not have the AD hub.

As far as time, it had been 12 years since mine was last done, and it was starting to noticeably sling grease and at the condition inspection, it was pretty obvious it needed to be done. It's easy to keep putting it off, especially if the spinner is hiding things, and say "it was only a little grease, I'll just wipe it off". I haven't had any problems since.

IMG_1595.jpg

Byam Propeller at Meacham (KFTW) did my IRAN earlier this year, and I had them repaint it at the same time, total was right at $1100. I do not have the AD hub.

As far as time, it had been 12 years since mine was last done, and it was starting to noticeably sling grease and at the condition inspection, it was pretty obvious it needed to be done. It's easy to keep putting it off, especially if the spinner is hiding things, and say "it was only a little grease, I'll just wipe it off". I haven't had any problems since.

View attachment 34771

David,

I used them to paint my prop when it was new.
Great people to work with.
Short drive for you down 380 to 287.

Boomer

Propeller maintenance

Over the past thirty years I have had Byam overhaul ground adjustable props, constant speed and fixed pitch props, all were good experiences, and they did what they said they would do, they even overhauled to new specifications a propeller one time, but they would not certify it as overhauled, just approved for return to service, the prop at the time was about sixty years old.

Back