What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Riv Set Leaving Rings on Universal Head

jls32

My Cleaveland cupped rivet sets are leaving these rings on my universal heads. I haven't seen this on any of the pics I looked at on the forum. Mike at Cleaveland didn't return my email. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

2FARMC1SD4

https://drive.proton.me/urls/2FARMC1SD4#j5Jrv7aGD377
(for some reason the IMG tag isn't working)

52528598718_1382dcecc1_k.jpg
[/url]BE9FF8E5-C62B-4140-96B3-6B8606EC582C by Dan Peters, on Flickr[/IMG]

Last edited:
Yep - you now have experienced “smilies”.

Add three layers of standard masking tape over the end of the rivet set. Replace often. Never have a smilie again.

Carl

They aren't smiles. The go all the way around the rivet head.

My buddy who has built several RV's and won a Lindy award has never seen these before. He watched me drive them and also tried a few himself. And the squeezer is what produced the rings in the picture.

Well I thought about that. I pulled it out of the Cleaveland bag labeled 1/8" cup. I held up the rivet into the set and the cup doesn't "hold" the entire rivet head i.e. the rivet head edges protrude beyond the edges of the cup. Is this not supposed to be?

And please tell me I don't have drill out all these rivets....

Thanks for the replies.

As I do a rebuild, I’ve seen some of these from the previous builder. The are caused by us using the wrong size “cup”. I would not replace since the head is nicely set and won’t come loose but would move up to the next size.

1/8" set

Well I thought about that. I pulled it out of the Cleaveland bag labeled 1/8" cup. I held up the rivet into the set and the cup doesn't "hold" the entire rivet head i.e. the rivet head edges protrude beyond the edges of the cup. Is this not supposed to be?

Thanks for the replies.

Yep. I tried the next size up once. Major smileys.
Stick a piece of black gorilla tape over the factory head. It will protect from marks.

By the way. I see your in Denver. If you want to join the Colorado RV group, shoot me an e-mail (below).
First & Last Name
Cell #
City
Model

Thanks for the replies.

The same thing happened to me - just ended up being a mislabeled size set.

As I do a rebuild, I’ve seen some of these from the previous builder. The are caused by us using the wrong size “cup”. I would not replace since the head is nicely set and won’t come loose but would move up to the next size.

+1 for this.

It appears like the die in the squeezer was for a 3/32 rivet even though the bag said 1/8, might've just got mixed up. The rivet head should sit nicely inside the depression in the die and not overhang.

Take a look at Figure 4-6 (page 4-21 in my version) in AC 43.13
The second row down shows how a correct set should sit on the rivet.

The size of the set should be stamped on the rim of the set.
But, I agree with the others. Looks like an AD3 set on an AD4 rivet.

Thanks for all the replies.

I ordered "another" 1/8" set from Cleaveland and squeezed a bunch of rivets - no more rings. So either what they sent me was a mislabeled 3/32" or there's a defect.

Just eye-balling the two sets, they are almost identical looking.

Back