What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Sheep skin durability

F1 Rocket

Well Known Member
Time to get my seats recovered. They are currently leather and have held up well over the past 15 years but are starting to tear in a few places. I’m thinking of going with sheep skin. I’ve read/heard it’s very comfortable but I’m worried how it will hold up over time from being stepped on while getting in and out of my Rocket.

We’ve got An Oregon Aero seat with sheepskin in the RV-3, and have flown it for 800 hours in eleven years - all over the country, all seasons, two different pilots….seat is still in excellent condition, and I’ve always felt we could clean it if needed - but haven’t needed….

We have sheepskin in the front of our RV-10. Vic loves it. I originally did a light gray color. After many years it took on a yellowish tinge. Cleaning did not help. I replaced with a mid gray and we are much happier with the color. It is holding up well and no signs of yellowing. The darker the better.

We use sheep skin at work and it’s trampled on for years on end thousands of hours and still looks good. I’m waiting for mine to get done for my RV8. It’s the most durable material out there for a seat, especially if you are standing on them to get in like we do at work.

Had sheepskin seat covers for about 6 years in a car, sold the car with no perceptible wear on the covers.

Dave

I have the same experience with car genuine sheepskin covers and sold the car after about 6-years.

Wore out cloth seats in the RV-6 and replaced with sheepskin. Wish I had sheepskin from first flight.

The front seats in airlines are typically sheepskin because they are comfortable and hold up very well. 30-years ago in A&P school, Ipeco seats that I saw were sheepskin.

We have sheepskin in the front of our RV-10. Vic loves it. I originally did a light gray color. After many years it took on a yellowish tinge. Cleaning did not help. I replaced with a mid gray and we are much happier with the color. It is holding up well and no signs of yellowing. The darker the better.

Good tip. I will be going with a charcoal grey.

Sheepskin seats

I have some cloth seats that are very comfortable I’m planning on replacing with leather seats but sheepskin may be an option. I don’t see that on the major seat makers websites.

Do you guys have covers that go over existing seats or are these made new but with sheepskin instead?

The only place I’ve found that makes the sheepskin seats is Oregon Aero ($$$$) and Covercraft makes the seat covers, who else makes these?

Last edited:
The major custom interior vendors can use sheepskin. You do need to ask for it.

I'm having my RV-3B cushions covered in it by Oregon Aero and have had a different vendor do my Cessna 180 cushions in it. Price is the same as leather.

Dave

I used a local upholstery shop for sheepskin in my Midget Mustang. I have leather right now in my RV3. I prefer sheepskin, but the leather in my 3 is still in great shape, so I’m in no hurry to replace it.

Back