What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Elevator Balance After Paint

rocketman1988

Well Known Member
What have folks done about balancing the elevators after paint?

The issue is that the counter weights are though bolted and there is no way to remove them to add more weight.

Has anyone added more weight after paint, and how did you do it?

Assuming you installed the weights per plan, you will find that they are not heavy enough to statically balance the elevators - even before paint.

On my first RV-10 build I engaged Van’s on this, and was told that no, they will not be statically balanced. Then there was a short one way discussion on the difference between static balance and balance to prevent flutter.

Perhaps something has changed over the last ~12 years so I suggest you engage Van’s to confirm, then build on.

Carl

I’ve never heard of an elevator being balanced for a vans aircraft. Do the plans even talk about balancing the elevator

Unless there is a much difference between a 10 and a 14, I had to rebalance my elevators after the paint. In fact I have done that to all three RVs I have built.
I had planned ahead and added a couple of nut plates next to the original weight just for this purpose but you can always use rivenut and add whatever weight it needs. Mine typically took about 5.5 oz to 6 oz on the left and nothing on the right since the right side was fore heavy to begin with.

Vans recommendation to me was to balance them individually and not as an assembly

Can't

I can't build on, since it is already built and in paint.

I wish that the plans had mentioned something at the beginning!

This has been hashed out a lot.
As Carl says. Straight from the horses mouth no additional balancing required for a 10.

https://vansairforce.net/community/showpost.php?p=276189&postcount=2

That's great but what exactly is an excessive amount of paint?

For example, there is likely a large difference between painting the elevator plain white with a single stage paint and doing multiple colors using a three stage paint plus a clear coat...

I will be talking to the mothership after the holiday and will report back...

I remember a reference somewhere (section 5 of the build manual?) that specifies a not to exceed number (in inch pounds) for the out of balance moment on RV-10 elevators.

I’m nowhere near any plans this week, but someone should be able to find the data.

I remember a reference somewhere (section 5 of the build manual?) that specifies a not to exceed number (in inch pounds) for the out of balance moment on RV-10 elevators.

I’m nowhere near any plans this week, but someone should be able to find the data.

Haven't been able to find really anything except installing the precast weights...

Haven't been able to find really anything except installing the precast weights...

I recall that the instructions to use a fish scale on the trailing edge of the elevators, and the allowed limits, were in some out of the way place in the manual, I don’t recall where.

Update

I talked to Vans this morning on this subject, specifically for the RV-10.

Summary of conversation:

Balancing after paint is a good idea.

Balance elevators individually. Balancing together should be ok, too.

For those who have not installed their tips, add a couple of nut plates just aft of the stock lead weights.

For those who have already attached tips, determine weight required, match drill 4 or 5 holes in the counter balance rib, and rivet the required weight using blind rivets. (Like Dan H's photo)

Balance within the limits in the following chart, for the RV-10.

Screen Shot 2022-11-23 at 10.50.15 AM.png

There you have it...

Summary of conversation:

For those who have not installed their tips, add a couple of nut plates just aft of the stock lead weights.

For those who have already attached tips, determine weight required, match drill 4 or 5 holes in the counter balance rib, and rivet the required weight using blind rivets. (Like Dan H's photo)

View attachment 34189

There you have it...

I am wondering how one determines the in/lb?

I used a small plastic cup and put it where the weight will go and kept adding weight till it was balanced. Then weighed the plastic cup with its content which typically was about 5-6 oz and converted that to a piece of lead and mounted to a previously installed nutplates.

Summary of conversation:

View attachment 34189

There you have it...

Bob,

Are these balance limits already in the RV-10 plans/construction manual, or is this new information from Van's?

Thx,

Bob,

Are these balance limits already in the RV-10 plans/construction manual, or is this new information from Van's?

Thx,

They are in the "Final Inspection and Flight Test" section of the main manual, so not new info.

That said, I probably would have put them in the Elevator section of the plans...

Back