What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin Aera 760 with G3X and GTN

nickj02

Im adding an Aera 760 to a G3X system. The airplane has 2ea. GDU460 (10" G3X touch displays), a GTN650Xi with a Flightstream510, and a GDL52.

I have run into contradictory information about how to install the Aera760 so that all devices in the airplane are able to have full synchronization of flightplans, weather, and traffic.

First...the limitations of the Aera760 and the GDL 52. The Aera 760 only allows 1 bluetooth connection and 2 RS-232 connections. The GDL 52 only allows 2 RS-232 connections and if the RS-232 is used for weather, not all weather products will be displayed. In order to display all weather products, the bluetooth connection is required.

Now for the contradictory information regarding the Aera 760. Some sources say that the Aera is only able to receive flightplans via a MapMX connection on the RS-232. Other sources say that it can send and receive flightplans via MapMX so that everything stays syncronized (see the link at he bottom of this post from G3xpert on this forum).

Ideally I would be able to hardwire the GDL52 to both G3X screens and bluetooth the weather/traffic to the Aera 760. Then, hardwire the RS-232 from the Aera to the G3X (or alternatively the GTN650) so that flightplans all remain synchronized and I can use the larger screen on the Aera to create flightplans rather than the smaller one on the GTN650.

However, if the RS-232 is a one way street, I would need to connect the Aera bluetooth connection to the flightstream for flight plans, then hardwire the traffic/weather to the aera and one of the G3X screens and bluetooth traffic/weather to the other G3X screen.

Im curious if anyone on this forum has installed something similar and what they found about connecting the Aera into a system...is the MapMX really a one way street, or does it allow synchronization as per the post from G3Xpert shown below (which is contradictory to what Garmin told me over the phone).

G3xpert can you weigh in?

Thanks!

<https://vansairforce.net/community/showthread.php?t=181895&highlight=aera+760>

"Pilots can hard-wire the aera 760s power, audio and dual RS-232 connections to receive additional benefits. When connected to a navigator such as the GTN 650Xi/750Xi, GTN 650/750 or the GNS 430W/530W, the aera 760 can send and receive flight plan data that is entered into the navigator over a serial port so all products remain synchronized throughout the flight. It is also capable of wirelessly connecting to these navigators when paired with a Flight Stream 210/510. When connected to a NAV/COM such as the GTR 225, GNC 255 or GTR 200, frequencies and airport identifiers can also be transferred from the aera 760 to the corresponding NAV/COM. For aircraft flying in visual conditions, pilots can optionally connect the aera 760 to select autopilots to fly lateral GPS and single point vertical navigation (VNAV) guidance. For example, pilots flying in visual conditions can fly a VNAV profile from their current altitude to pattern altitude using the aera 760 fully coupled to the autopilot."

Last edited:
On my RV-9A, the GDL 52 is hardwired to the two screens via RS232, and I have two bluetooth connections available for the aera660 and the iPhone.

Thanks for the reply Ed.

The problem is getting the Aera properly connected to the system...not the GDL52.

Since the Aera only allows one bluetooth connection, you cant bluetooth both weather and flightplans without manually changing bluetooth connections every time you want to switch between the two. And apparently the hardwired flightplans only work in one direction.

Do you have the Aera hardwired for flightplan transfer? If so does it work both ways?

The GDL 52 only allows 2 RS-232 connections and if the RS-232 is used for weather, not all weather products will be displayed. In order to display all weather products, the bluetooth connection is required.

Incorrect if you keep your Aera 760 software up-to-date. 4 software releases ago Garmin added "ability to receive additional FIS-B weather products via RS-232 connection from compatible source".

Steve

Hi Steve

Thanks for the reply....

Good to hear that they updated the RS-232 issue for weather on the Aera....the current manual (Revision D Feb 2022 190-02674-00) still contains the language that this functionality will only be available with a future update on page 114 ("*Requires a software update on both the G3X and GTX/GDL 5X before
this weather product can be transferred via RS-232.")

The main question here is about getting the Aera connected into the system to be able to do bi-directional flightplan synchronization with the rest of the system. Can it be done over RS-232 with MapMX as originally advertised or does it have to go over the Flightstream 510?

Thanks for the reply Ed.

The problem is getting the Aera properly connected to the system...not the GDL52.

Since the Aera only allows one bluetooth connection, you cant bluetooth both weather and flightplans without manually changing bluetooth connections every time you want to switch between the two. And apparently the hardwired flightplans only work in one direction.

Do you have the Aera hardwired for flightplan transfer? If so does it work both ways?

I'm kind of an odd duck with respect to flight plans. I always program them into the G3X directly and have never felt a need to upload them. Also, the aera is only a backup and I do not normally use it in flight.

Here's an idea for you, though, and yes, I'm rambling. You might be able to upload the flight plan via wifi from the tablet -- the aera is in the hangar and I'm home, so can't try it. One gotcha that is not in the manuals is that if the aera has 12 stored wifi connections, you can't upload databases to it from a different wifi. I don't know how or if this will affect your desired operation.

Here's another idea for you. Hook up the GDL serial ports to one screen and to the aera. If I have the details correct -- 80% estimate -- all of the text information FIS-B information, flight plan, and the traffic information will communicate to the other screen over the CANbus, but none of the images (maps, charts, terrain, radar). And with split screens on the right side screen and weather on the inboard side, readability should be usable.

I run split screens left and right on my system and that works reasonably well. Yes, I'd like to have one more big screen because none of the screens are all that good for traffic -- published an article on that on airfactsjournal.com -- but I've found no need for any portable devices in the cockpit. If you'd like to talk, pm me with your phone number.

Good luck!

The goal is to have the G3x screens, the GTN650, and the Aera all have synchronized flight plans. Changes on any device are automatically pushed to the others.

Currently my system is running 2 G3X screens, the GTN650Xi with Flightstream510, and an Ipad.

G3X #1 is connected to the GTN650 via RS-232 with MapMX and RS-232 with Connext. This allows synchronization between the G3X system and the GTN when "External" GPS source is selected.

The ipad ties into the system via the flightstream 510. Any changes to the flightplan that show up on the GTN are sent to the ipad and any changes on the ipad are sent to the GTN.

So this completely synchronizes the entire system.

The Aera is meant to replace the Ipad (which I am undertaking to solve several issues...device overheating, dim screen, and Garmin Pilot software bugs which have resulted in bricking Pilot during flight...another story).

Ideally, the Aera is connected to the system using the RS-232 with MapMX and this is bi-directional (as originally advertised) so that the Aera can be used as an FMS of sorts to deal with flightplans since it has a much larger screen to work with than the GTN. And the weather is via bluetooth to the Aera and RS-232 to the G3X so that the G3X doesnt have to be connected to the bluetooth each flight (which it requires right now with the GDL39)

However, there is conflicting information as to whether on not this works. The original literature specifically states "send and receive"

(see https://vansairforce.net/community/showthread.php?t=181895&highlight=aera+760).

However I have been told over the phone by a garmin rep that MapMX only works to receive flightplans on the Aera and I have seen a post by someone with a 430W saying this is how their system behaved and that Garmin didnt know it would behave this way when the system was originally released.

See the following with the comment below
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_BQFjALG3Q>

"WARNING!!! The aera 760 will NOT send flight plan info to a garmin 430w/530w via serial cable. I have just spent a week on the phone with garmin tech support resolving this issue. They finally determined it will not work as advertised and are in the process of changing their worldwide marketing info for the aera 760. It is still a great unit, but it will only receive flight plan info via serial connection with mapmx protocols. The gns 430w series unit do not have mapmx on the in side of any serial port connection. Garmin is working on a way to make it right with me personally, but it will not be advertised in the future for having bi-directional flight plan transfer capabilities for legacy gns series navigators."

I dont know if this will be the case with the G3X or the GTN since they CAN receive MapMX protocols (they are doing this in my plane right now).

Im hoping that someone has hardwired an Aera into either a G3X or GTN using the RS-232 MapMX protocol and can speak to how it works in practice.

I dont yet have the Aera to try it (will be coming Friday I think)...otherwise I would hook it up to try.

The fallback is to run the Aera bluetooth connection thru the Flightstream 510, and hardwire the GDL for weather. Then hardwire one G3X screen to weather and bluetooth the other to it. Just seems like a ridiculous exercise to go through...

Attachments

• 14-659 Pro-X BLK - updated July 12, 2016.pdf
    24.6 KB · Views: 71
The way my 760 is setup RS232 #1 drives a GPS signal to my Dynon HSI, frequency uploads to the SL30, and lateral nav to the TT AP. RS232 #2 is connected to the GNX375 using Connext and MapMx to exchange flight plan info, and the BlueTooth is connected to the GNX375 for weather, traffic, and AHARS. It all seems to work well but in reading the 760 pilots guide today I found out that apparently the flight plan transfer is exactly that, it transfers a flight plan, but does not transfer a "direct To" selection from the 760 to the GNX375. I plan to check this out this weekend.

Do not connect MapMx to RS232 #1 as it somehow takes control and reduces the functionality of RS232 #2, connect it to RS232 #2.

I really like the 760 and the integration with the GNX375 but if G3Xpert is tracking this thread here are 3 wish list items for future upgrades that would improve the user experience with the unit, some of which were dropped from the 796 functionality:
1. Provide the ability to assign some user selected direct-action buttons to the main map screen (or other screens)
2. On the main screen swap the PDF Viewer icon with the VNAV icon on the tools page, more useful and fewer screen taps.
3. Bring back the scratch pad for ATIS, quick notes, frequencies etc.
Figs

Thanks Dave

When your 760 is connected to the 375 can you work with the flightplan on the 760 and have the changes go down to the 375 or do the changes only come from the 375 back up to the 760?

The only reason to install a 510 with a G3X/GTN would be to run Database Concierge for database updates, is that what you do?

Last edited:
Hi Walt...yes that is what I do now. Database Concierge and flightplan sync between the 650 and the ipad.

The other reason to have it is if the flightplan transfer on the Aera doesnt work via RS-232...then you need to use the flightstream.

G3X still needs to be updated with SD cards

Hi Walt...yes that is what I do now. Database Concierge and flightplan sync between the 650 and the ipad.

The other reason to have it is if the flightplan transfer on the Aera doesnt work via RS-232...then you need to use the flightstream.

G3X still needs to be updated with SD cards

Hence the reason it makes it hard to justify the 510, the GTN loads lightning fast compared the G3X's.

From Garmin 1 year ago...but no follow up from them

(https://vansairforce.net/community/showthread.php?t=181895&page=4)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The MAPMX connection allows for downstream flight plan information to be fed from the GNX 375 to the Aera 760. The Connext format should allow flight plans to be transferred bi-directionally, but it seems to be inoperative with certain navigators at this time, we are looking into the matter and will get this resolved.

A Bluetooth connection between the two allows for bi-directional flight plan crossfill.

Thanks,

Justin
Please email us for support instead of using Private Messaging due to the limitations of the latter

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Maybe getting closer:

From the Aera Manual....
--------------------------------------------------------

"NOTE: Connext features require a Bluetooth or RS-232 serial connection to
an external Connext device."

"The Connext Setup Menu can also configure how the aera 760 sends and receives
flight plans from other Connext devices. Flight plans received from other devices will
be added to the aera 760's Flight Plan List."

"• Connext 57600 Baud: Connext datalink source at 57600 baud. Used to receive ADS-B
traffic and weather data if connected to a compatible receiver.
• MapMX: Receives flight plan and navigation data from Garmin navigators. When
MapMX data is received, a more accurate depiction of the flight plan legs are displayed
on the moving map (i.e., holds, procedure turns, etc.). MapMX is the preferred data
source when interfacing with Garmin navigators."
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

However I think that Connext 57600 baud is only from traffic/weather and Connext 38400 Baud (Format 2) is for flightplans per the G3X manual

How do we get the G3xpert to clarify?

Attachments

• connext.JPG
    connext.JPG
    41 KB · Views: 35
I know the 760 receives flight plans from the 375 but have not tried the other way around as I generally do the flight plan in Garmin Pilot on my iPad mini which is bluetoothed to the 375 and both transmits and receives flight plans and updates.
I plan to try the 760 transfer this weekend as I have been reading the same sections of the 760 manual as you referenced and do not recall how I set that up on RS232 #2.
I do know the "direct to" from the 760 to the 375 does not work as stated in the manual.

It would certainly be easier to enter and adjust approach procedures on the 760.
Figs

The GDL 52 only allows 2 RS-232 connections and if the RS-232 is used for weather, not all weather products will be displayed. In order to display all weather products, the bluetooth connection is required.

FWIW:

I have a GDL-51 connected to my Aera 660 vis RS-232. It is my understanding (from pre-installation conversations with Garmin) that there is no longer a difference between the weather products delivered from the GDL to the Aera via either the RS-232 or the bluetooth links.

I also use RS-232 to connect my Aera 660 to my GNS-530W. Flight plans entered in the 530W (often via FS210) automatically transfer to the Aera 660 via this link. I have a switch to disable the transfer, in case I want to change the Aera 660 and 530W flight plans independently.

I am getting absolutely TERRIBLE support from Garmin (despite having spent close to $60k on Garmin avionics). Because I have called them 3 times about this issue, they are no longer responding to me. I have gotten 3 different answers from 3 different departments and no response via email.

Noah in G3X support told me it has to be hooked up to MapMX for flightplans and bluetooth for weather...no mention of it only working in one direction.

When I discovered that there was potentially a problem with MapMx being a oneway street (from posts on this forum) I called back to get clarification.

Katie in Over-the-Counter told me that the Aera isnt designed to work with G3X despite it being specifically advertised to work with G3X on the G3X webpage (https://www.garmin.com/en-US/p/166058). She actually told me "if you have G3X why would you want an Aera". (Shame on me for purchasing more Garmin products!) She also said why dont you just hook it up and try it. When I explained I dont have it yet and that I should be able to know the answers to how a device worked before I bought it she scoffed. I also told her that I would like to know which wiring harness I need to break open rather than blindly opening 2 different harnesses so that it would save me 8 hours of labor...she said "well I don't know why it would take you 8 hours, it would only take me an hour". I explained that she had no idea what was involved in disassembling my interior/panel and that this wasn't being done on a bench. Again she scoffed and then passed me off to Pilot OPs.

Julian in Pilot OPs told me to use MapMX for flightplans but that it is only a single direction. I told him this was contrary to what Garmin has shown in their videos (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_BQFjALG3Q)(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_21TRfHLHg) and in the manual and he said "I don't know what to tell you, I have one hooked up here and that's how it works"...but he didn't know how it was hooked up or configured...so not very useful. If MapMx is a one way street and that's how its hooked up then fine...but what about wired or wireless Connext? And if you "know" that's how it works...then fix the manual and the marketing material.

I called back today to get clarification regarding the post from G3xpert and the info in the manual regarding the Connext connection. They tried to send me back to Julian in Pilot Ops but I asked for them to have the author of the post (Justin)to call me...we'll see if that happens.

Nobody will speak to what is written in the Aera manual about the RS-232 Connext connection which states "Connext features require a Bluetooth or RS-232 serial connection to
an external Connext device" and "The Connext Setup Menu can also configure how the aera 760 sends and receives
flight plans from other Connext devices. Flight plans received from other devices will

All 3 reps gave me what appeared to be "feelings" and didn't actually seem sure of what they were saying. It sounded as if none of them had actually wired up and configured a system.

Tim at Approach Faststack (awesome guy, awesome product, and very helpful) composed a joint email to ask the question and we have received no response back from Garmin.

The manual is poorly written and is inconsistent so I would think Garmin would like to get it remedied. For example

The Aera manual says that the options available for configuring the serial port are " 'Garmin Data Transfer', 'NMEA Out', 'Aviation In', 'Aviation In/NMEA & VHF Out', 'GTX TIS-A In', 'GTX TIS-A In/NMEA & VHF Out', 'Garmin Data Transfer', 'MapMX', or 'None'."

However on the same page it then lists another option which isnt listed above
"Connext 57600 Baud: Connext datalink source at 57600 baud. Used to receive ADS-B traffic and weather data if connected to a compatible receiver."

However this is inconsistent with what is listed earlier in the manual regarding RS-232 using Connext for flightplan transfer which to my understanding would have to be Connext 38400 Baud

Yikes!

FWIW:
I also use RS-232 to connect my Aera 660 to my GNS-530W. Flight plans entered in the 530W (often via FS210) automatically transfer to the Aera 660 via this link. I have a switch to disable the transfer, in case I want to change the Aera 660 and 530W flight plans independently.

Tim,

Just a reminder that with the Aera 660/760, there is no need to have a physical switch installed to switch between Internal and External (MapMX) flight planning since there is a dedicated "FPL Source" button on the flight plan page to make this change.

With the older portables, this switch was useful, but no longer needed with the expanded capabilities of the Aera 660/760.

AL9nZEWbJTuaNyjC3WnQEPcN-KMC7aFYCLcr6johNulPBSR7FOuZ7OOLrRPrPT7tWQHfz_IQegoVshjtdi7hjHa2vYUb96wI3Sn2sli02gDC2f86WVm0nYqrW_64Kq2fknr_a8B_1A2uqDIA_JSsT-PBibu-=w380

Steve

Steve
You should get your old job back:D
I think the main question in the thread after reading the various manuals is if the 760 is connected to an external Garmin device/navigator via RS232 with MapMx and external source is selected on the 760 (per your picture), can you build or update the flight plan on the 760 (like switching approach transition from vectors to a specific IAP) and have it transferred to the external navigator either manually or automatically. The 760 pilots guide manual page 83 suggests 2 way transfer but mentions connext and bluetooth not MapMx and RS232.

In the install manual page 197 it states that MapMx is preferred when interfacing with Garmin navigators.

With 2 connection choices (RS232 and BT), and connext and MapMx, what is the correct configuration to get 2 way flight plan transfer, ADSB weather and traffic, AHARS etc.
Figs

Hi Nick and Figs,

There is currently no support for bi-directional flight plan sharing between a Garmin IFR navigator and the Aera 660/760 using RS-232.

You can, of course, select External flight planning on the Aera 660/760 and use the preferred method of configuring one of the two Aera 660/760 RS-232 ports for MapMX and continuously receive full flight plan and curved path guidance (including holds, procedure turns, and missed approach guidance) directly from the Garmin IFR navigator.

AL9nZEVne_FVtKuCl3cl5hnIOfCaF_92cPQO-CiTKsRNdCW9lYh4Qxo9aRLMXnH1OPwYu14_Gd_XjFUs9Cla0jjoQVA-1Bod2UFeAA_aeEjZAPDY27LBY4RtAr3hSy5Fr74e68G13ljXErubKogwHXfF27f_=w380

If you want to share flight plans bi-directionally between the Aera 660/760 and a Bluetooth equipped Garmin IFR navigator, you would need to use a Connext Bluetooth link. For example, for my Aera 760 and GNX 375, I can establish a Bluetooth connection between the two and bi-directionally share flight plan changes when using Internal flight planning on the Aera 760.

I have flown with an Aera 660/760 hardwired with RS-232 to a GNX 375 for several years, and what works best for me is to leave the Aera 760 in internal flight planning and have the GNX 375 always synchronize its flight plan and approach guidance with the Aera 760 over MapMX RS-232.

When using Internal flight planning on the G3X Touch system, the GDU 4XX PFD keeps the GNX 375 synchronized with the current flight plan, which then shares this data with the Aera 760 over MapMX.

I always keep the 2nd RS-232 port on the Aera 760 configured for Connext 57600 and connected to a Garmin ADS-B traffic/weather receiver. In my plane, I have both a GDL 52R (SXM Weather/Music and ADS-B Traffic/Weather) and the GNX 375 (ADS-B traffic/weather). Since the GDL 52R is the worlds best and most capable music/traffic/weather receiver, that is what I connect to the Aera 760. I can also control the GDL 52R SXM music selection from the Aera 760.

Both the GDL 52R and GNX 375 also provide a Bluetooth connection for traffic/weather which I sometimes use for a second Aera in the back seat for a passenger.

With the way I operate the Aera 760, it is basically a super capable MFD that is always synchronized (over MapMX) with whatever is being used to navigate and drive the G3X Touch autopilot.

Should I have some kind of power emergency in my plane that takes out everything that is not internally battery powered, I can still fly the plane with the G5 and navigate with the Aera 760, which is always holding the last flight plan or IFR procedure that was in use.

Let me know if I failed to answer any of your questions.

Thanks,
Steve

Thank you for the reply Steve!

Six questions come to mind.

1. What options are actually available in the RS-232 port configuration menu
(Tools > Setup > Interface>Serial Port #)? Page 196 of the manual.

2. Have you tried configuring a "wired Connext connection" for flightplan sharing per the manual and the Garmin sales video or is that not even an option in the port configuration list and you are stuck with MapMX?

"Connext features require a Bluetooth or RS-232 serial connection to
an external Connext device...The Connext Setup Menu can also configure how the aera 760 sends and receives

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_21TRfHLHg&t=153s

3. If you use a bluetooth Connext connection to either the G3X or the GTN (via Flightstream 510), will the flightplans be synchronized on all three devices.

4. Have you tried an RS-232 connection in any flavor to the G3X rather than to a GTN/GTX?

5. Can you have a both a hardwired and bluetooth connection for flightplans (from your description it sounds like yes)

6. Do the Bluetooth Connext flight plans support curved flight paths like the MapMX does?

Last edited:
Hi Nick,
Thank you for the reply Steve!

Four questions come to mind.

1. What options are actually available in the RS-232 port configuration menu
(Tools > Setup > Interface>Serial Port #)? Page 196 of the manual.

Not sure I understand the question. As you say, pages 196 and 197 of the current Rev. D Aera 760 manual explain the available RS-232 configuration options. If you have a specific question on any of these, let me know.

2. Have you tried configuring a "wired Connext connection" for flightplan sharing per the manual and the Garmin sales video or is that not even an option in the port configuration list and you are stuck with MapMX?
It has been a couple of years, but yes I used a wired Connext 57600 interface from the Aera 660/760 to the GNX 375 and could not share flight plans over this link. I believe that Justin mentioned in an earlier posting that Garmin is looking into this.

I don't consider that I am "stuck with using MapMX" and will continue to use MapMX regardless of what comes in the future because I don't want to use the Aera 660/760 in Internal flight planning mode except as a backup navigator.

3. If you use a bluetooth Connext connection to either the G3X or the GTN (via Flightstream 510), will the flightplans be synchronized on all three devices.

4. Have you tried an RS-232 connection in any flavor to the G3X rather than to a GTN/GTX?

Sorry, but I don't use Bluetooth to either the GDU or GNX for flight plan sharing in my plane, so I am not the best source of information on this. I don't like to recommend anything that I don't use. I do all flight plan editing directly on the GNX or GDU, and it always works great!

5. Can you have a both a hardwired and bluetooth connection for flightplans (from your description it sounds like yes)

As explained above, there is currently no hardwire support for sharing flight plans with an Aera 660/760.

6. Do the Bluetooth Connext flight plans support curved flight paths like the MapMX does?

Yes and No. When you load an approach on the Aera 760, it will show any procedure turn and missed approach holding pattern (like shown on a chart), but nothing except for MapMX provides the dynamically changing real-time curved path navigation data being provided by the IFR navigator to the pilot and autopilot.

Steve

Last edited:
Thanks Steve

To clarify question #1 I was hoping you could list what actually appears on the device for options for the RS-232.

The manual on page 196 and 197 is inconsistent (for example Connext isn't shown in the list but is mentioned in the text)

To clarify question #5

If I have mapmx connected to the Aera via RS-232 can I chose to use the Connext Bluetooth connection instead or does having the RS-232 connected disable the Bluetooth Connext connection for flightplans.

Last edited:
Thanks Steve

To clarify question #1 I was hoping you could list what actually appears on the device for options for the RS-232.
What is displayed on the device matches what is in the manual except that there are 2 NMEA Out options (NMEA Out 4800 baud and NMEA Out 9600 baud)

The manual on page 196 and 197 is inconsistent (for example Connext isn't shown in the list but is mentioned in the text)
Not correct. It says this at the top of page 197 which makes it clear that Connext 57600 RS-232 is only used for traffic/weather (not flight plan sharing).
Connext 57600 Baud: Connext datalink source at 57600 baud. Used to receive ADS-B traffic and weather data if connected to a compatible receiver.

To clarify question #5

If I have mapmx connected to the Aera via RS-232 can I chose to use the Connext Bluetooth connection instead or does having the RS-232 connected disable the Bluetooth Connext connection for flightplans.
There is no problem with having the MapMX RS-232 connected to the Aera 760 and using Internal flight planning with Connext Bluetooth, which disables the use of MapMX (until External flight planning is chosen again).

Steve

The manual is inconsistent for the RS-232 connections because....

Specifically it lists (on page 196) available connections as

"Garmin Data Transfer', 'NMEA Out', 'Aviation In', 'Aviation In/NMEA & VHF Out', 'GTX TIS-A In', 'GTX TIS-A In/NMEA & VHF Out', 'Garmin Data Transfer', 'MapMX', or 'None'."

Connext 57600 Baud is not listed here

However on PG 197, connext suddenly appears as an option...it says:

"Connext 57600 Baud: Connext datalink source at 57600 baud. Used to receive ADS-B traffic and weather data if connected to a compatible receive"

Good to know that the MapMX connection doesn't disable the Connext flightplan transfer.

Last edited:
Hi Nick and Figs,

There is currently no support for bi-directional flight plan sharing between a Garmin IFR navigator and the Aera 660/760 using RS-232.

You can, of course, select External flight planning on the Aera 660/760 and use the preferred method of configuring one of the two Aera 660/760 RS-232 ports for MapMX and continuously receive full flight plan and curved path guidance (including holds, procedure turns, and missed approach guidance) directly from the Garmin IFR navigator.

If you want to share flight plans bi-directionally between the Aera 660/760 and a Bluetooth equipped Garmin IFR navigator, you would need to use a Connext Bluetooth link. For example, for my Aera 760 and GNX 375, I can establish a Bluetooth connection between the two and bi-directionally share flight plan changes when using Internal flight planning on the Aera 760.

I have flown with an Aera 660/760 hardwired with RS-232 to a GNX 375 for several years, and what works best for me is to leave the Aera 760 in internal flight planning and have the GNX 375 always synchronize its flight plan and approach guidance with the Aera 760 over MapMX RS-232.

With the way I operate the Aera 760, it is basically a super capable MFD that is always synchronized (over MapMX) with whatever is being used to navigate and drive the G3X Touch autopilot.

Let me know if I failed to answer any of your questions.

Thanks,
Steve
Now I am really confused, I have the 760 RS232 channel 2 connected to the 375 via MapMx and the 760 BlueTooth connected to the 375 via connext but I do not seem to have bidirectional flight plan transfer between the two units. Is there a setting I am missing? All the other connext BT functions work fine (Weather, traffic, AHARS etc.) just not flight plan updates from the 760 to the 375. The BlueTooth link between the 375 and my iPad works fine for bidirectional flight plan transfers.
Maybe it is a procedure issue, if I flight plan on the 760 (internal) and it is sent over to the 375 (which drives the autopilot) via BT Connext, do the curved tracks etc. come back over the RS232 connection via MapMx or do you have to go back to "external" mode on the 760 to get that functionality?
Same question if an approach is loaded on the 375 can you make changes on the 760 (change transition for example from vectors to a specific IAf) and send them to the 375?

Figs

Maybe it is a procedure issue, if I flight plan on the 760 (internal) and it is sent over to the 375 (which drives the autopilot) via BT Connext, do the curved tracks etc. come back over the RS232 connection via MapMx or do you have to go back to "external" mode on the 760 to get that functionality?
Yes, you will need to be in External flight planning mode on the Aera 760 receiving MapMX to see a larger, better version of the GNX 375 display showing traffic, weather, flight plan, and procedure data.

Same question if an approach is loaded on the 375 can you make changes on the 760 (change transition for example from vectors to a specific IAf) and send them to the 375?

You could, but it is much more efficient to make procedural changes directly on the GNX 375 than on the Aera 760. As you know, every time you send the GNX 375 a change from the Aera 760 it takes an additional pilot action to process that change from a non-certified source at the GNX 375.

Steve

I received my Aera on Friday and experimented with different installation options and learned where/what the limitations are with a G3X system.

Lets start with the Aera 760 RS-232 configuration. The Aera allows for a MapMX connection and this, according the manual, is the preferred data format for displaying flight plan data as it is capable of showing where the navigator is actually steering the airplane (curved courses for procedure turns etc.).

However, the Aera only allows the port to be configured for MapMX Format 1, and there are HUGE limitations with MapMX format 1.

MapMX Format 1 provides "serial position, altitude, velocity, and navigation data". It is also only a 1-way street. When you configure the RS-232 port on your navigator (in my case a GTN-650xi), you will see that selecting MapMX format 1 disables the RX port on the navigator.

If your avionics aren't connected to a G3X system, this is probably fine. You can parallel your various displays to the RS-232 port configured for MapMX Format 1 on your navigator and they will all display the flightplan data.

However, if you have a G3X system, using MapMX format 1 creates issues because the normal configuration for a G3X is to use MapMX Format 2.

Per the manual MapMX Format 2 is "the format for the G3X to send radio information in addition to position, altitude, velocity, and navigation data"

So, If you configure the navigator port for MapMX format 1 and parallel that connection to the Aera, both the Aera and the G3X will display flightplan information, but the G3X loses the radio connection to the navcom on the GTN. And if you configure the port on the navigator to MapMX Format 2, the G3X will display the flightplan data and have control of the navcom however the Aera will display something like "RS-232 connection lost with navigator"

Configuring another port on the navigator may be an option for some installations (Im still looking into this), but the small format navigators only have 4 RS-232 ports and in a typical G3X installation they are all used and configured for something other than MapMX format 1.

The Aera does seem to play nicely with the Flightstream 510 and this is how I have the system configured for now. However, when using the flightstream, you do not get the same flightpath depiction as you get with MapMX...it is essentially a point to point flightplan instead of a full curved path depiction.

I have not been able to get the "Automatic Reconnect" function for the bluetooth to work with Any devices on the Aera (the button for automatic reconnect never becomes enabled).

I have the other port on the Aera configured for Connext 57600 baud and connected the the GDL52. The GDL 52 only has 2ea RS-232 ports, so I have the other one wired to the MFD.

Here's where we have another issue, this time on the G3X side. Even though the MFD and the PFD on the G3X are networked via CANBUS, they do not share all of the data with eachother. So, when the GDL52 is connected to a serial port on the MFD, you can't see/control anything on the GDL from the PFD. So....another bluetooth connection is required. This time between the PFD and the GDL52.

My take is that since these are all current Garmin devices (which even use the same symbology on the GUIs), Garmin needs to do a better job of making sure the various devices all play nice with each other. If you dig into the data format for MapMX, you will see that it would be a trivial software update on the Aera to get it to speak MapMX format 2 since it is only appending data to the MapMX Format 1 "sentence"...and since the Aera is also able to control other Garmin navcoms, it is a strange omission from the Aera.

I have not been able to get the "Automatic Reconnect" function for the bluetooth to work with Any devices on the Aera (the button for automatic reconnect never becomes enabled).
As explained on page 32 of the Rev. D Aera 760 Pilot's Guide, "The Bluetooth Setup Menu provides several options for connecting to Bluetooth devices. Manage Paired Devices can enable Automatic Reconnect and remove connections on a per-device basis.".

Select "Menu", "Manage Paired Devices" on the Bluetooth setup page to enable/disable automatic reconnect on a per-device basis.

Steve

Steve

I read that as well...it isnt working. Im having to manually reconnect each time the power is cycled. A huge reason I am not a fan of bluetooth. It is often unreliable.

An update....I deleted all the paired Bluetooth devices and re-paired the flightstream and now the automatic reconnect seems to be functioning.

Back