What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Control Stick Play

michjor

I've read some of the previous posts but not seen anything definitive for a solution. My stick is getting alot of play in the neutral position, as I move in pitch or roll to the outer limits the play is removed. How/where do I look to take the wiggle out of the stick for a solid responsive feel.

I’d first look to the journal bearings holding up the control tube. Are the jam nuts tight? After that I’d go to the bell cranks.

Carl

Follow the trail from stick to control surface checking each element, joint, and bearing.

Thanks for the feedback. During the conditional I worked my way from the bell crank forward, tightening what I could. The main solution was replacing the AN4-25 bolt + the brass sleeve it fits through the control stick. It's feels great again.

Last edited:
Similar problem on my RV3

I fixed the play in the control column by using a close tolerance bolt instead of the usual AN bolt.

My inspector suggested the fix.

Rob

I fixed the play in the control column by using a close tolerance bolt instead of the usual AN bolt.

My inspector suggested the fix.

Rob
It sounds like you are using the bolt as the rotational bearing, not the bronze bearing sleeve. Don’t do this.

Properly assembled the bearing should extend slightly past the edge of the stick bearing sleeve. The bolt should then fully capture the bronze sleeve - so that there is no relative motion between the bolt and the bronze sleeve. The relative motion is between the bronze sleeve and the stick bearing sleeve.

Always add a touch of grease to the sleeve during assembly.

Carl

Back