What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fix for Milwaukee M12 Rivet Tool Jamming

Antonitis

I started working on my -12 empennage last week. The 3rd LP4-3 test rivet I pulled jammed the M12 puller. Looks like the shafts/mandrels of the LP4 rivets are too small for the feed tube on the M12. Multiple mandrels can get jammed side-by-side in the tube. Here's my fix.

Note: This fix will make your M12 Rivet tool only capable of pulling LP4 madrel-size rivets.

I purchased some length of 3mm OD x 2mm ID stainless steel tubing from amazon.

I cut off a 5" length of tubing and countersunk the end ever so slightly with a jobber drill bit.

Approximately 1" from each end of the tubing, apply two wraps of blue painters tape to the tubing to increase the outside diameter of the tubing to match the inside diameter of the M12 feed tube.

Insert the stainless tubing into the feed tube until the countersunk end is flush with the business end of the feed tube.

On the collection side of the tube, use JB Weld to adhere the stainless tube to the M12 feed tube. Make sure you get about an 1/8th" of JB Weld between the stainless tubing and the feed tube.

I removed any JB Weld that got on the feed tube with the wire brush on my grinder.

I've pulled 50+ rivets now with no jams... and I don't need to flip the tool over to collect the LP4 shafts. Woo Hoo!

Here's some pictures for clarity.

Attachments

• IMG_2034.jpeg
    IMG_2034.jpeg
    390 KB · Views: 398
  • IMG_2035.jpeg
    IMG_2035.jpeg
    383.5 KB · Views: 364
  • IMG_2036.jpeg
    IMG_2036.jpeg
    371.9 KB · Views: 355
  • IMG_2037.jpeg
    IMG_2037.jpeg
    245.8 KB · Views: 326
Nice job. Looks like that should be a good fix. I did something similar with a plastic coffee straw and tape. Initially I had just intended it to be a prototype to test the concept, and had planned on doing something more permanent. But so far whenever the straw wears out I just replace it with a new one.

If I had it to do over again, I'd copy your approach. But it looks like the fourth straw will be enough to get me through one airplane. :)

Now that you mentioned using a "coffee straw"... I think I may have read your post about that on a FB group. I might have subliminally stole your idea.

Credit goes to rv12is for this fix!

Nice job. Looks like that should be a good fix. I did something similar with a plastic coffee straw and tape. Initially I had just intended it to be a prototype to test the concept, and had planned on doing something more permanent. But so far whenever the straw wears out I just replace it with a new one.

If I had it to do over again, I'd copy your approach. But it looks like the fourth straw will be enough to get me through one airplane. :)

The fourth straw or “the final straw” ;) In all seriousness I’ve been putting off this mod and just bought some of that tubing (thanks for the link). I’d like to copy it and see if I can make a version that is removable so I can still use my gun for other sized rivets down the road. I had to clear out a jam 5 times just doing the flapperons… not to mention the sore wrist from flipping the gun over each time! Thanks for all the info!

- Jacob

Last edited:
If you succeed in making it removable, please post it here. The high school class I'm mentoring has already experienced one of those problems but we have a loaned tool.

Thanks!

Dave

Here's a picture of my coffee straw approach. I just wrapped scotch tape around the front of the straw until it was a snug, push fit, inside the tube.
PXL_20221024_141817308.MP.jpg
PXL_20221024_142306530.MP.jpg

As long as your tube is the proper inner diameter, there isn't much force on it. One mandrel should just push out the previous one.

Here's two mandrels placed side by side in the end of the puller's push tube. It's easy to see how if the ridges lined up wrong, or one mandrel was slightly bent, they could get jammed inside here.
PXL_20221024_141950842.MP.jpg

And for comparison, here's a picture of a mandrel inside the straw.
PXL_20221024_141930209.MP.jpg

I left the straws their full length. At 5.5" it's possible to remove and replace the straw without disassembling the tool. Just remove the mandrel collector and pull it out.
PXL_20221024_141533532.MP.jpg

Awesome! I've been having trouble with the mandrels not releasing to the back of the tool, but they're easily removed from the front. Hope this change helps that issue.

mandrels not releasing

After about 20000 rivets, my Milwaukee quit letting the mandrel release and fall into the collector. It spits them out to the front, too. Any idea how to fix that?
Thanks, John

The instructions that come with the Milwaukee tool suggest cleaning and lubricating the nose of the tool after 5000 rivets or if the tool becomes contaminated with dust or debris. There’s a drawing on page 5 that shows you how to take it apart.

Milwaukee: 44-60-2550

After trying to think of a way to make this metal tube removable so the gun can use other rivets besides the LP4’s, I realized it’s just easier to buy a replacement pusher tube assembly and glue one up to that. Tearing the gun down for a change doesn’t take that long when you factor in the time wasted flipping the thing over after every rivet. Not to mention my sore wrist!

eBay sells them for $16.54 out the door.

Part number: 44-60-2550

Attachments

• 1F96F964-052E-475B-91DF-659C9794262D.jpg
    1F96F964-052E-475B-91DF-659C9794262D.jpg
    325.9 KB · Views: 296
Last edited:
I had the same issue with the Milwaukee rivet gun jamming. I used the coffee stir straw approach mentioned above and that fixed the problem.

I used some 3.5mm OD, 2.5mm ID brass tubing with mine. (from Uxcell via Amazon)
The fit is close enough that I was able to lock it in place with blue thread locking.

The 2.5mm ID seems to feed just fine, it should be about 145% the diameter of the 1/16 mandrels. The grip marks on the mandrels seem to slightly increase the effective diameter too.

Back