What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV7/9 Fuselage - Tailcone Side to Bottom Skin Gap

skelrad

Well Known Member
Friend
I didn't notice it during match drilling, but I just got the tailcone all clecoed together and ready for riveting and noticed that there is a gap between the side and bottom skins along the entire length (both sides - probably 1/16+" gap caused by the side skin being under bent and wanting to spring out at the rivet line). I'm trying to figure out if it's a non-issue and the skins will suck together with riveting or if I need to take everything apart and work on the side skin curve a bit so they're not under so much tension. I did roll the edge of the side skin, but of course that doesn't fix the bend itself. With enough pressure I can get the gap to close, but I'm just not sure if normal pressure from bucking will do it.

I'm assuming I'm not the only one to hit this, but I couldn't find any threads on it. I'm guessing the gap will close up with riveting, but if group experience says it doesn't, I'd rather know now so I can disassemble everything and massage the curve a bit.

I think you will find that when you put the actual rivets in, it will pull it down flush. They make cleco's with wing nuts on them that can apply a higher force.

Those same side skins on my 6A were also not rolled enough and needed a fair bit of adjustment by clamping between some long boards and applying pressure. They went on and off several times to get it right.
Generally when I'm building I try to get everything to fit as well as possible so nothing is under tension. This is not always possible, but if the rivets only need to hold, rather than pull together the parts, then I think there is a better chance of things turning out well when everything is "set".

Be sure to break the edges where the skins overlap to help pull the skins tight after riveting.

Just me

I had to tighten the bend in the lower skin to get everything to fit.

The bottom fuselage skin under the rudder/ vertical stabilizer is , like 1/8” thick. The sides on mine were not bent vertical enough. I had to make a clamp with some pipe and pipe clamps and bend this skin more vertical. It was a lot of force. See my blog or build log here on VAF.

I had to tighten the bend in the lower skin to get everything to fit.

The bottom fuselage skin under the rudder/ vertical stabilizer is , like 1/8” thick. The sides on mine were not bent vertical enough. I had to make a clamp with some pipe and pipe clamps and bend this skin more vertical. It was a lot of force. See my blog or build log here on VAF.

I had to do the same for that super thick aft skin. I think I got it fairly well bent after a bit of work. The portion I'm dealing with now is the rest of the side skin, forward of that. I'm going to take a look at it with fresh eyes tomorrow and see if back riveting will be enough to close the gap. Given that it doesn't seem like there are many people who have noticed a problem, I'm guessing it may be a non-issue in the end. I simply didn't want to go full guns on riveting and then find out it was a common area where everyone says "oh yeah, for that you should have done..." and then have to undo work to fix it. I've learned that there are a number of areas in the build that are problematic and have fixes, but that you have to be lucky enough to have stumbled on in the forums early enough not to run into them yourself!

Bottom skin

I had to do the same for that super thick aft skin. I think I got it fairly well bent after a bit of work. The portion I'm dealing with now is the rest of the side skin, forward of that. I'm going to take a look at it with fresh eyes tomorrow and see if back riveting will be enough to close the gap. Given that it doesn't seem like there are many people who have noticed a problem, I'm guessing it may be a non-issue in the end. I simply didn't want to go full guns on riveting and then find out it was a common area where everyone says "oh yeah, for that you should have done..." and then have to undo work to fix it. I've learned that there are a number of areas in the build that are problematic and have fixes, but that you have to be lucky enough to have stumbled on in the forums early enough not to run into them yourself!

I don't recall any gap on mine. I did brake the edge as you have done. Since I was alone, I had to get creative.
100% clekos
Floor jack with a home made block for the handheld back rivet bar. One rivet at a time. Took forever but came out nice.
Maybe the pressure of lifting the bar against the fuse kept it flat.

Back