What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Extracting AMP connectors

LettersFromFlyoverCountry

Well Known Member
Does anyone have a foolproof method of removing these pins (the one with prongs on both sides) that DOESN'T involve buying that $157 Amp Extraction tool?

PXL_20221109_221016356.jpg

Removal tool

There are several kits offered on Amazon that contain 30-60 different pin extraction tools that are priced very reasonably.

I have used several extractors from two different kits and they worked fine.

I think I got the 61 piece kit for less than $20.

I won't ever use all of them, but having one two that get you out of a jam are well worth the modest entry fee.

Custom tools

Before purchasing the above mentioned kits I did make some custom extraction tools by modifying some exacto knife blades or very small jewelers screw drivers.

In the end, the correct tool for the job is almost always worth the price of entry. Can always buy it, use it and then sell it.

Reasons

One of the reasons I used Deutsch connectors for everything on my -10. It is exceptionally easy to un-pin and re-pin Deutsch connectors...

Exracting Amp connectors

The first thing is to understand what the retention mechanism by looking inside as best you can or checking on the web with Google search. But, I believe these are retained by a barb on the surface of the contact, which is released by inserting a thin about 1/2" or so long piece along the side of the contact in a channel there. I make this kind of extractor by grinding down an end of a hacksaw blade - cheap and available tough but still not brittle material. Grind to about 1/16" wide tab 1/2" or more long, then carefully thin it out to fit down the channel. Don't let it get red hot while thinning or it will get too soft.

ES-00078 Connector

Bob,

Try this homemade tool trick.

The ES-00078 housing connectors have 2 release tangs. I made a small tang release tool from a narrow strip of steel (old soup can lid or something similar) approximately .070" wide and 3” long. If you fold it in half so the ends match up and the business end is about as wide as the connector (the .126 measurement), then you can insert it into the housing from the contact side, not the wire side, it will release both tangs. Hope this makes sense.

Here is a link to the $150 tool at Digikey.

Attachments

• terminal.png
    terminal.png
    72.7 KB · Views: 45
  • 170314-1.JPG
    170314-1.JPG
    30 KB · Views: 42
I think what's happening with my little Amazon bargain "keys" is the thin piece is getting redirected on one side INTO the connector instead of staying outside where it can get to the prong. (see red mark)

170314-1.JPG

But I like your idea, though I suspect serious finger blood will be shed in the manufacturing process.

Guess i'm eating soup for dinner.

Last edited:
I modified a stainless steel tweezer by grinding the tips. Take care with the grinder the tips need to be quite thin. Now lives in my electrical tools box and works good for me for those blue amp connector pins. No $150 tool needed.

Attachments

• IMG_3215.jpg
    IMG_3215.jpg
    171.6 KB · Views: 61
After trying many suggested options, I decided to bite the bullet and buy the $157 tool, and -- oh my golly -- it's unbelievable.

I'm too old to remember what sex felt like but it must've been like this.

As with all my tools, it's available for anyone who wants to borrow it.

Back