What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flightcom 403 squeal until PTT pushed

petehowell

Well Known Member
Had an issue yesterday setting up for my flight review - My favorite CFI plugged in his headset and when we tried to talk - poor audio, and when I talked, it started a squeal. Much fussing with squelch and volume ensued. We changed headsets one at a time on both sides - same problem, tried stereo and mono settings, no joy.

We were just about ready to scrub when I hit the PTT button on my stick - audio cleared right up and no more squeal at all. Flight was completed and against his better judgement, I was signed off.

Any ideas why hitting the PTT "fixed" the issue? Have not seen this in 16 years and oodles of hours, but as most of you know Andi wears earplugs and sleeps when we fly.

Thanks for any ideas - I'll call flightcom b/t meetings today to get their take.

Support

Just talked to Flightcom....

They said they see an issue in these units after 15 years or so where a relay goes bad and causes issues like this. The fix is replacement.

I'll look into it if it continues - maybe pull the unit and blow some dust out first.

I can honestly say I made the same diagnosis before reading post #2! But there’s really nothing special about that relay. You can most likely find a $10 replacement at digikey or similar. But it likely won’t be an exact physical replacement, so you’ll have to install it off the CB, in some unused corner, and run wires back to the CB.

Thanks!

I can honestly say I made the same diagnosis before reading post #2! But there’s really nothing special about that relay. You can most likely find a $10 replacement at digikey or similar. But it likely won’t be an exact physical replacement, so you’ll have to install it off the CB, in some unused corner, and run wires back to the CB.

Thanks Bob!

Change it out

I had the same problem with my 403 in my 7A. Rather than replace the intercom I took out an SL40 and put in a GRT200B with new harness and jacks. Took out the Flightcom and installed a Stratus Pro Power port. Everything works great.

Back