What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

This Months Wallpaper

Tom Maxwell

Well Known Member
Well if this image doesn't prove that the tip-up is king, nothing will :D Is this an ugly view or what! Just kidding, it ain't bad.

As they say, "One image is worth a thousand words." Thanks Doug for settling this issue, you can now close this room. ;)

Come-on, folks! Even the slider lovers have to admit that this image and the view would be better in a tipper.

The only view or image that is better in a slider is the one of you taxiing by with the canopy open and your arm hanging out like Joe Cool. Are those few seconds of coolness worth the loss of the view for the entire time you are in flight? If you want to be Joe Cool, get a Harley and a black leather jacket and some shades. But don't ruin your visibility in the air with all of that tubing! ;)

RVs aren't born to run on the ground like a go-cart, they are meant to fly. In the sky is where you will be spending most of your time. And once the tires leave the pavement the tipper is the CLEAR winner.

Feb05c.jpg

Last edited:
Awww The View!

Sorry, I couldn't resist Doug. I hope you don't mind the use of your image.

A little Photoshop and you get an idea of what the view would be like in a tipper! :p

Now which is better #1 or #2? #1 or #2. :)
Feb05c-2.jpg

Yeah but

I guess we could also argue that from a purely photographic standpoint, a highwing aircraft would be even better. But I guess we don't want to go there do we! :D

Photos?

You guys need to go slow,take pics? Up close? I got the plane. When you want to go? I'm in.

Jay
and Shooter
wish I had a picture of the plane :confused:
Cheers

Last edited:
Tom

Hi Tom,

Before you order your kit you are welcome to spend time with us and see the planes and what really works. Get some rides...ect...
Danny will sell you on a 8,.,.., and me too :)
I look at RVs from a builders point of view, lots of experience.
I know of ways to save time, but not necesserally the best end product, for the owner. I once had a customer say... Jay, I can afford it build it my way. Gulp,,,, ok,, I will take your money.
I have done 5 or so sliders RV6/7s and only 2 tip ups Dougs and one other.The sliders are easer to build. I guess if you built 5 tips and only two sliders ,the tips would be easer? go figure??

Any way,,,,, flying Flash home today..,.,., I'm lead in Flash , Danny in, Beautiful Doll, on wing, looking over my right sholder it is hard to see the Doll! The roll bar is in the way. When I am flying wing, the roll bar in the Borrowed Horse is making me cross-eyed. Either wing,left or right ,ie #2 or #3,position,!.
You will get used to what ever you build. I like sliders/ all RVs even RVa what ever. All are fine planes.
Cheers

Last edited:
Now here's a view worthy of a Tipup!! I did some mountain flying last may, right after my 25 hr flyoff. 30 hrs TT. My instructor thought we were in a rocket. This is about 13,500 over the Colorado Rockies. Ya gotta love the view, and no rollbar to spoil it. Sliders, eat your heart out!!!

Roberta Hegy
RV-7A N2447A

mtsoprisclose6gx.jpg

OK, I *am* eating my heart out...

...but I wanted my -8 for other reasons. If I could [easily] make it into a tipup, I sure would!

As for photography, perhaps we poor slider folk can consider cameras outside the cockpit, vis another thread. I plan at least one external still camera, and the more I look at it the more I want to install a couple of 'em (or leave room, at least)... Anyone who's interested in playing with ideas on cameras, see ya on the other thread.

I bet an 8 would work out well for photography from the rear seat. Then the pilot could maneuver and not be distracted by having the camera to work. Anyway, if you're flying in an RV of anykind and configuration, you're in heaven. I love them all.

Roberta Hegy
RV-7A

Hang on there a minute you slider bashers; in the photos taken above with the slider frame in the way, all you have to do is to move the camara (or your head) a few inches front or back and the rollbar would disappear.
Those shots are rigged!

Having flown most my time in Cessna's and having to look around all sorts of objects to get a "view", I don't think that innocent little roll bar or center brace are going to bother me much.

I just thought someone should come in here and play devil's advocate. :D
You tip-up guys are making it look like slider pilots are going to have to file an IFR flight plan any time they want to go somewhere since they are virtually "blinded" by that lil' 'ol bar. :eek:

Thank-you

You just reinforced the point. :) With the Tippy you don't have to move your head here or there to look around the bars. And even when you do move your head, the bar will still be there in your peripheral vision. Ain't no way getten around it other than to look around it. Take a look at any in-flight formation images. The slider pilots always have their ears lying on their shoulders trying to look around the bar. All you see in the Tippy's are those big grins. Or as the song goes, "I can see clearly now the bars are gone. I can see no obstacles in my way." :D Nice try, playing devils advocate and all, but you only strengthened the argument for the tip-ups. There may be other benefits to sliders, but visibility isn't one of them.

Of course, I hope we all know that this is all in good fun and we are just kidding around? I hope nobody gets their empennage ruffled. To each his own, variety is the spice of life, and all of that good stuff.

Thank-you

You just reinforced the point. :) With the Tippy you don't have to move your head here or there to look around the bars. And even when you do move your head, the bar will still be there in your peripheral vision. Ain't no way getten around it other than to look around it. Take a look at any in-flight formation images. The slider pilots always have their ears lying on their shoulders trying to look around the bar. All you see in the Tippy's are those big grins. Or as the song goes, "I can see clearly now the bars are gone. I can see no obstacles in my way." :D Nice try, playing devils advocate and all, but you only strengthened the argument for the tip-ups. There may be other benefits to sliders, but visibility isn't one of them.

Of course, I hope we all know that this is all in good fun and we are just kidding around? I hope nobody gets their empennage ruffled. To each his own, variety is the spice of life, and all of that good stuff.

My Take

Heres my take... When it rains and your airplane is outside with no cover over it, do you want the rain to leak down the back side of your panel and over your $30k panel with your tipper? Or would you rather it leak on your $1k seats with a slider. In KS the slider is almost a must as it gets so hot when taxiing and the tipper is somewhat awkward to crack open. I have been in both and love the view in the tipper but have never regretted going with my slider.

When it rains...

How many times is your plane out in the rain without a canopy cover? On average, per year?

Ok, keep that number in mind.

How many times per year are you flying formation or taking photos or video from your RV in flight?

Ok, got that number in mind? Remember the first number? Nuff said.

Have you seen the videos I've been taking lately? Try shooting 'em in a slider. It would be pretty annoying imho. To each his own!

)_( Dan
RV-7 N714D
http://www.rvproject.com

Jeez, it might be time for those who have them, to either tip it up, or slide it out, and see who's got the bigger one. :)

I Bet I Can Change Your Mind

For all you slider bashers out there, come to Houston in July and taxi to the runway with your tip-up. By the time your ready to depart you'll be wishing you had a slider...or an air conditioner.

Tip up Please

I had one near mid air a few years ago, The oncoming plane 172 was hiding behind the passenger side door post on a 172.
I learned 3 things that day:
#1 In addition to keeping your head on a swivel you have to get your butt out of the seat to really look around blind spots.
#2 NEVER, NEVER, NEVER trust Flight Following. We never got a call from center.
#3 If your on a collision course the other plane does not move. (never really believed that before.)
It happened in a stabilized cruise @ 5500'.
I also now try to fly at odd altitudes, 5450' instead of 5500' etc...

Its amazing how small a structure can hide an entire airplane.

Jeff
Soon to start 9a tipup

Come ON C172 /=/ RV slider

1911pilot said:
#2 NEVER, NEVER, NEVER trust Flight Following. We never got a call from center.
Good point, when VFR, sole responsibility for "see and be seen" is on the pilot, and either VFR flight following or IFR in VFR conditions is no guarantee traffic will be called out. Some pilots don't understand traffic will be called out as ATC workload allows, and they can't always help you with "other" VFR aircraft not being tracked, even if they wanted to. I am lucky to fly equip with TCAS, traffic collision avoidance system. Now for GA aircraft they have portable units that seem to offer a level of performance for a reasonable price. I think I will get one.

Gee Guy's give it a break, I don't care what canopy you have, but as far as a C172 compared to a Slider RV, OK, if you say so. :rolleyes:

With ANY low wing aircraft there is a large area you can't see, and it is the same in both RV's, either with a tip-up or slider. The differnce between canopy types is a very small part of the total picture (or lack thereof). Bottom line a slider is NOT at a higher risk of a mid-air, and if your tip-up panoramic view lulls you into a sense of security, it should not. You have the same very large area of vulnerability with no vis. :D George

PS: All you tip-er-uppers know you have slider envy deep down :D

Last edited:
Well said Vern

What you said is pretty obvious to everyone (probably even tip up folks :) ). When it came time to make the decision for me I considered everything I could think of ease of building, the view, robustness, security, coolness factor, and my opinion about which one looks better. The result for me was almost a wash (which is likely why this is a debate to begin with) with the slider having an edge mainly based on coolness and maybe being a little more robust (not sure though). And then I considered resale as a factor. I don't think either one adds or takes away value but I do think there may be a difference in how long it will take to sell one vs the other. So I started counting sliders vs tip ups at flyins and while the numbers are just a vague memory it was overwhelming in favor of the slider style. That tipped my scales to favoring the slider. YMMV.

As far as one style having significantly better visibility, I'm with you. I've flown (and still do fly) a bunch of span cans, including my current ride, a Cherokee 140 with a split windshield and door posts (even where there isn't a door on the left). Photography isn't more than a consideration around those obstacles. I'd argue that any RV will have excellent visibility and single digit RV :)D) will have great visibilty, imo.

Don

RV9A Fuselage

which is safer?

Does any one have any insight into which might be "safer" if the plane was to ever go over on its back. Which one provides a more secure occupant?

Back