What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tube source?

bluemaule

Need a tube for RV-7 main. Tire size is 5.99 x 5. What brand is preferred and what source?

I guess I let the psi get too low. What pressure should I run?

Yep

I'm with Kyle and Desser is in Tn. 323 721 4900. www.desser.com

I run their certified recaps on my Air Tractors...$160 vs $400 for new ones and their recaps last way longer...harder compound.

Best,

Thanks for the help!

I thought my landings were getting a lot better, with no bounces. Guess the improvement was due primarily to low PSI... I'll have to get back to 30 PSI and see if I've improved at all...

Tube pricing out of whack

Van's price of the inner tube for the 5.00x5 tires is more than 5 times the cost of the tube for the 4" nose wheel (which is a far less common size). Further, Michelin airstop tubes are made for everything from aircraft to bicycles to motorcycle tires with the aviation sizes 5 to 50 times the cost of the others. Since tubes are a little flexible in sizing, I wonder if there is tube made for another application (go-cart, or ATV etc) which is close enough to a 5.00x5 tube to be used successfully on our aircraft. Anybody researched or done this?

Bevan

Van's price of the inner tube for the 5.00x5 tires is more than 5 times the cost of the tube for the 4" nose wheel (which is a far less common size). Further, Michelin airstop tubes are made for everything from aircraft to bicycles to motorcycle tires with the aviation sizes 5 to 50 times the cost of the others. Since tubes are a little flexible in sizing, I wonder if there is tube made for another application (go-cart, or ATV etc) which is close enough to a 5.00x5 tube to be used successfully on our aircraft. Anybody researched or done this?

Bevan

Old thread. Has anyone ever found a tube that fits our 5.00x5 tires other than those marketed for aviation? Got a part number and source to share.

Old thread. Has anyone ever found a tube that fits our 5.00x5 tires other than those marketed for aviation? Got a part number and source to share.

Perhaps there's a way to find another supplier, like these guys:

https://www.transamericanrubber.com/

https://www.transamericanrubber.com...ice-column-Pricebook-Official-Master-Copy.pdf

They seem to make their tubes out of the same butyl rubber as Michelin. Perhaps they have one that will fit, or can make one if there is a market. They look like a pretty innovative and focused company.

Tube and Pressure

I have had Van's sourced tubes leak without apparent damage. A real bummer when it happens so I pay more for the 'airstop' tubes.

38 psi is what I run. Big difference between 32 psi and 38 psi when it comes to moving my RV-7 by hand. I have not seen any uneven wear at 38 PSI so can't see a downside there. Apparently, some folks need to reduce tire pressure to stop gear leg oscillations while braking. Try 38 and see what you get?

Michelin "Air Stop" tubes. NOT Aeroclassic "Leak Guards". The Leak Guards separate at the molding lines after chafing inside the tire walls. The Air Stops will not do this under same conditions. I have had to replace many popped Leak Guards with only a few hours of use. Never had this phenomena with the Michelin. If you do have or go with Leak Guards use lots of extra tire talc and check the tire pressure all the time and don't let them get but a few psi below the recommended inflation.

Back