What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Prop Repitch Recommendation

artrose

Who can you recommend in the San Antonio area to repitch a prop? Static 2190rpm O-320 150hp. Looking for another 100rpm or so.

It's close.

Hi Art...you don't say whether it's aluminum or composite but your RPM's are very close to what our -6A ran with a cruise-pitched Catto three-blade and it performed at and slightly above Van's listed cruise speeds. We turned 2200 static.

What is your reason for wanting flatter pitch....more climb performance? Shorter takeoff roll?

Best,

It's Close

It's a two blade aluminum Sensenich. I don't know it's history. Climb is good, but cruise is not that great. At 8500ft I get 2450rpm and 160mph. The original TCDS numbers for the E2D were generally calling for 2260-2270 to 2360-2370 static, I get 2190, and I believe the electronic tach. The 6A airframe flys straight and true, the rigging is correct, the aerosport engine has about 150hrs on it, but somethings not adding up. Am I expecting too much? Am I pointed in the right direction, or should I be looking elsewhere? Engine tuning, other?

You can re-pitch it.

Art, ours turned 2750, wide open throttle at 7500' and TAS was 201 MPH.

You prop should be easily re-pitched but were you WOT at 8500? If you were, it seems your motor may need a thorough tuning.

How 'bout wheelpants and gear leg fairings and upper/lower intersection fairings. These items make a big difference. Our -6A gained 16 MPH with all those added later.

Best,

Jordon

Who can you recommend in the San Antonio area to repitch a prop? Static 2190rpm O-320 150hp. Looking for another 100rpm or so.

I've used Jordon Prop right there in San Antonio in the past. My A&P has used them several times. I would not hesitate to use them again if/when needed.

103 E Rhapsody Dr
San Antonio, TX,
78216-3113

--Ron

It's a two blade aluminum Sensenich. I don't know it's history. Climb is good, but cruise is not that great. At 8500ft I get 2450rpm and 160mph. The original TCDS numbers for the E2D were generally calling for 2260-2270 to 2360-2370 static, I get 2190, and I believe the electronic tach. The 6A airframe flys straight and true, the rigging is correct, the aerosport engine has about 150hrs on it, but somethings not adding up. Am I expecting too much? Am I pointed in the right direction, or should I be looking elsewhere? Engine tuning, other?

Since your prop has a 2600 rpm restriction it is good to have it pitched so WOT at 7500' DA will put you right at 2600 rpm. That will give you an excellent compromise between climb and cruise and should bring static up to ~2250. Use Vans' recommendations when settling on the pitch you want, will probably be around 77".

If you can't find a local shop with an excellent reputation, send the prop to Sensenich, they can repitch at a reasonable cost. They also use a hydraulic machine for repitching instead of leaning on the prop with a long bar. :)

Last edited:
Back