What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Transferring smoke oil

Av8rRob

Well Known Member
Hey guys, In the process of installing a smoke system and just ordered my first barrel of oil. What is the preferred method of getting the oil from the barrel to in the tank? Curious what some of you have found as the easiest/ best practice. Im assuming a 5 gallon transfer bucket is utilized.

Thanks

I only buy the 5 gallon buckets, not a full barrel, but I got tired of taking the tank out of the plane to fill it and then putting it back in, so I bought a pump at someplace like Harbor Freight, made up some hoses with AN fittings, and used leak-proof quick-disconnect fittings on the hoses. Put the mating leak-proof QD fitting on the screw cap for the in-aircraft tank, and fabbed up a length of aluminum tubing with a QD fitting to go into the bucket (you could easily do this for a barrel, just make a longer dip tube). I just power the pump with a set of battery alligator-type clips from a battery charger (put one of the SAE style plugs on the wires from the pump, so I can connect the clips).

It works great, I don't have to remove the tank anymore unless I need the space or weight, I can just roll the cart with pump and bucket up to the plane and connect up the long hose to the tank, and it's clean...no drips of smoke oil anywhere in the plane or on the carpeting. I think I got the leak-proof quick-disconnects from Summit or some similar speed shop place.

https://www.summitracing.com/search...N2Um57poUQA_9yrqJnZN5KVzdz3xhLkBoCtiMQAvD_BwE

I sold my smoke system after years of formation flying. I typically used a 5-gallon bucket pump that was modified. I removed the handle that was on it and added a 4 or 5" AN3 bolt / nut that could move the pump rod up and down. I also put a better hose on it so that I could reach inside the aircraft to the smoke oil tank. Worked great, little mess, and did not cost a lot.

The best systems have an external fill port and vent, so oil is never openly handled inside the fuselage.

I've built 'em with one of the Jiffy quick connects under the belly, with the vent exiting next to it. Matching fitting on the hose from a crank pump on a drum. Slide a can under the vent, snap on the connector, pump until oil squirts out the vent.

The big boys use reversing DC gear pumps so the airplane will self fill at the airshow. The promoter supplies the oil barrel. All they need bring is a long hose with a quick-connect to match their fill port. Pro systems generally have a solenoid valve at the firewall for crisp on-off smoke. For self fill, add a tee at the pump outlet with one leg running to the external connector. Wire the system with a reversing switch for the pump, but do not power the firewall solenoid when running in reverse. It will suck its own oil straight from the barrel.

Dan's approach is great. I'm simply not that high-tech: I am handling oil inside the cockpit, so I do my VERY best not to spill anything.

KELLI GIRL is a tip-up, and the smoke oil tank is mounted behind the copilot's seat. I don't ever want to fill this tank with a funnel, for two reasons:
1) I can't see the top of the oil, or whether I'm about to overfill the tank.
2) When it's time for the flow of oil into the tank to stop, I need it to STOP immediately. There will always be continuing drainage from the funnel many seconds after I have stopped pouring.

For those reasons, I transfer oil using the large 1.5-1.8 gallon laundry detergent jugs, the ones with the push-button spout.

They're a little ungainly at first, but I can get myself positioned comfortably holding the spout over the oil filler and let her flow. Flow rate is reasonable with the other cap cracked for top air. When the tank is full, or if I slip out of alignment, I can just release the spout button and immediately stop flow. For me, this has become an EASY method. Also, for formation events where I might need some spare oil, I can fill one or two of these and take them along in the back (GW permitting).

Attachments

• jug.jpg
    jug.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 590
Extras use a second pump to load the oil, heavy and expensive but if smoke is used a lot then probably worthwhile. How about Jiffy Tite connectors on the pump and tank/supply hose. Swap the connections and insert a feed hose to pump aboard. Depends how often you anticipate filling the tank...
Definitely agree that preventing any smoke oils pillages inside the aircraft is no 1 priority.

Any system of oil transfer that uses funnels or worse, pouring, is the method MOST likely to cause oil stains all over the carpet over time. True of any system of oil transfer that requires actual pouring IME.

There are a bazillion oil transfer pumps out there, specifically designed to get fluid from a 30-55 gallon drum into a tank of some kind. All different price ranges. Here is where I would start. $50 will get you there. I use this to get diesel from my 30 gallon storage drum into my tractor.

Last edited:
Any system of oil transfer that uses funnels or worse, pouring, is the method MOST likely to cause oil stains all over the carpet over time. True of any system of oil transfer that requires actual pouring IME.

There are a bazillion oil transfer pumps out there, specifically designed to get fluid from a 30-55 gallon drum into a tank of some kind. All different price ranges. Here is where I would start. $50 will get you there. I use this to get diesel from my 30 gallon storage drum into my tractor.

I like it, Mac.

Quick connects

Two and a half quick connects. I disconnect my double quick connects, swap the suction side from the tank on the plane to a hose from the barrel, and let it fill itself. Requires two and a half quick connects and an extra length of hose to go to the smoke barrel. I also put the barrel on a wooden dolly so it rolls around the hangar to the plane when I need it.

Very simple, very cheap, and fills as quick as it empties. Can also use this method to empty the tank when needed.

Last edited:
Two and a half quick connects. I disconnect my double quick connects, swap the suction side from the tank on the plane to a hose from the barrel, and let it fill itself. Requires two and a half quick connects and an extra length of hose to go to the smoke barrel. I also put the barrel on a wooden dolly so it rolls around the hangar to the plane when I need it.

Very simple, very cheap, and fills as quick as it empties. Can also use this method to empty the tank when needed.

Do you run the motor in reverse to fill? Any chance you have a picture of the setup?

Two and a half quick connects

I don't run the pump in reverse. Just use quick connects to unhook the lines. Connect the suction from the pump to the smoke barrel and connect the pressure from the pump to the smoke tank.

When finished filling, remove the suction line and reconnect the suction from the pump to the tank, the connect the pressure from the pump to the plane's system.

20 seconds to swap around, no extra wiring. Requires two and a half quick connects and an extra length of hose.

Sorry, no pictures but I can try and get some soon.

Extras use a second pump to load the oil, heavy and expensive...
That was only used during the first days of the "self-filling" installations. They´ve long changed to reversing pumps as described by DanH. Works great, is a tad more complex to install, weighs just a few ounces more, is completely spill-prove (inside the cockpit, at least when you leave the filling hose outside) but will need some sort of outside quick-fill port (but that can be located inside the cowling, within reach from the cooling air exit, as with our extra).

Back