What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Paint prep problem

sblack

Well Known Member
I'm priming and running in to fisheye I wiped down with a wax remover degreaser that smells like jet A. It left a bit of residue so I wiped down with a micro fiber cloth soaked in la quercetin thinner and I now have a bit of a disaster. What is a proper fool proof method of getting all the **** off bare metal. I am not acid etching.

Old school

I'm old school. I wash with Dawn. After it dries, wipe with Kirker 600 surface prep. Wipe dry then tack cloth. Never had a fisheye. This is not surface prep of aluminum. It's paint prep. Totally different.
That said, fisheyes can also come from contaminates in the air line.

Prep for priming.

- Option #1, used for most applications: Use Bonderite with maroon Scotchbrite pads, rinse with water. If water sheets off you are done. Allow to fully dry and prime the same day.
https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/cspages/alumiprep.php?clickkey=112516

- Option #2”: Use Coleman fuel with maroon Scotchbrite pads. Wipe dry. Prime the same day.

Option #2 is what I use for steel parts.

This process done on three RVs and never had a priming problem.
Carl

Use paper towels for everything (Nothing that has ever been in a washer or dryer. Fabric softener has silicone in it). Nothing in your setup can have a bit of silicone in it. I had fisheyes and it was due to the syringe I used to measure out small batches.

No oil in your airlines,... ever. Use a filter at the gun. I use dedicated air hoses.

Somewhere you are picking up oil or silicone.

Back