What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Narrow Deck Hartzell Governor

mlinett

Patron
Hi :
Vans no longer sells the Hartzell Narrow Deck Governor.
O-540 S-1-32 for Narrow Deck Engines . Does anyone know the Hartzel part number and where the best place to get one would be?
Thanks.

Narrow deck Hartzell

I ran into the same problem and ended up with the wide deck Govenor. I called called Hatrzell direct to get the correct part number to order one from them direct. Best move I made.

I am about to run my engine for the first time and I have a Lyc. IO-540-C4B5 (Narrow deck) and my prog gov. is from Van's (Wide deck governor). I understand that the wide deck gov. can easily be modified for use on a narrow deck. Can someone explain the procedure required to adapt the wide deck governor to a narrow deck engine. Thanks
Michel

There are a lot of mismatched wide or narrow decks with wide or narrow PG?s.
They mate up the same. For a long time Van?s sold ND gov?s erroneously listed as for IO engines which has nothing to do with the PG. Clocking can be different depending upon which way you are going to run the cable but is easy to change. I?ve heard that some acro pilots run ND PG?s on their WD?s because they like the feel better. The difference as I understand is simply the amount of RPM change for the amount of cable movement. Both Hartzell and MT claim that the core elements are the same.

When I purchased a PCU5000 for my narrow deck IO 540 the order form had 4 choices for the gear ratio.

886:1
895:1
947:1
1:1

The narrow deck uses the 895:1

Gary

S-1-26 is for Narrow Deck

Hi :
Vans no longer sells the Hartzell Narrow Deck Governor.
O-540 S-1-32 for Narrow Deck Engines . Does anyone know the Hartzel part number and where the best place to get one would be?
Thanks.

I have one that came off my narrow deck O-540. It's got less than 40hrs on it since new, and just came back from the shop to have a shaft seal replaced. $800 will get it shipped.

S-1-79 for IO-540 with Hartzell Three Blade

The advice from Avengerboss is good. Call Hartzell. I did not, took the advice of well intentioned folks that gave me correct advice for the questions I was asking. The problem was that I was not asking all the right questions. In the end I made the mistake of spending a bunch of time arranging Hartzell to sell me the S-1-26 through Van's at the deeply discounted price similar to the discount they offer on the wide deck governor. Turns out that was a waste of effort for everyone. The problem is that the S-1-26 is not the correct governor according to Hartzell for the IO-540 in my application. The correct governor, for me at least, is actually listed in the Van's catalog for the IO-390 and is the S-1-79. The S-1-26 has the correct ratio for the narrow deck at 0.895:1 but the maximum RPM is set incorrectly at 2575. For my application at least the correct RPM setting is 2700 RPM. I am running a Barrett narrow deck IO-540 with the three blade Hartzell from Van's.

This story has a happy ending as the apps guys at Hartzell and the folks at Van's went above and beyond reasonable to take care of me and get me the right governor despite all of my missteps. I cannot say enough good things about everyone involved.

Another thing to know is that the "S" governors require longer studs in the engine than many of the narrow deck engines have. Depending on what governor you are replacing or what your engine is setup for you may need to replace the governor studs in the case. Yet another potential obstacle in front of you.

Hopefully this helps you avoid the problems that I went through last summer. Best of luck getting the correct governor for your application.

So If I understand correctly, the S-1-26 will fit the ND and has the right ration, but it is limited to 2575 rpm. There must be a way to raise the RPM to 2700. Anyone knows how to do this.

Michel

Dash numbers

So If I understand correctly, the S-1-26 will fit the ND and has the right ration, but it is limited to 2575 rpm. There must be a way to raise the RPM to 2700. Anyone knows how to do this.

Michel

2575 is the correct max. rpm for a Lycoming IO-540-C4B5, so it's not surprising that Hartzell gave you the S-1-26 reply.

I think you just need to label your engine with another dash number to get the narrow deck part number applicable for 2700 rpm max and that extra 10 HP.

Michel

I am new to CS props, but is was my understanding they could drive a range of blade movement and it was an issue of clocking the arm and adjusting the stop screw to get the max RPM you want at the expense of the minimum RPM level. The different ratios should just change the size of the adjustment range (max vs min RPM adjusted).

I can't see them making a gov that couldn't turn 2700, though they might set the screw for 2575 at the factory.

Can someone more experienced school me on this?

Larry

Last edited:
I am new to CS props, but is was my understanding they could drive a range of blade movement and it was an issue of clocking the arm and adjusting the stop screw to get the max RPM you want at the expense of the minimum RPM level. The different ratios should just change the size of the adjustment range (max vs min RPM adjusted).

I can't see them making a gov that couldn't turn 2700, though they might set the screw for 2575 at the factory.

Can someone more experienced school me on this?

Larry

This comes from the Jihostroj web site -

Maximum governor drive RPM is defined by propeller maximum RPM and gear ratio between the propeller shaft and governor drive. This value is then assured with a particular speeder spring which influences in certain margin governor?s dynamic behavior as well. In operation is permitted to adjust maximum RPM in certain margin according to procedure stated in OPERATION AND INSTALATION MANUAL. More important changes in maximum RPM can?t be done without retrofit of speeder spring.

http://www.propellergovernor.com/what-governor-do-i-need/

The adjustment margins must be quite small

This comes from the Jihostroj web site -

Maximum governor drive RPM is defined by propeller maximum RPM and gear ratio between the propeller shaft and governor drive. This value is then assured with a particular speeder spring which influences in certain margin governor’s dynamic behavior as well. In operation is permitted to adjust maximum RPM in certain margin according to procedure stated in OPERATION AND INSTALATION MANUAL. More important changes in maximum RPM can´t be done without retrofit of speeder spring.

http://www.propellergovernor.com/what-governor-do-i-need/

The adjustment margins must be quite small

So, interestingly all of gov's listed show a prop rpm of 2700, though the gov rpms vary based upon the gear ratio. So, are all gov's rated to 2700 prop RPM and installed in compliance by using the RPM stop screw to set the RPM specified by the engine model? This would seem to make more sense than producing a different governor for each lycoming sub-model with RPMs ranging from 2400-2700. It seems that RPMs cannot be adjusted up from the designed RPM rating, but can easily by adjusted down via the RPM limit screw.

Last edited:
Back