What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

AMX-2A Mini Audio Panel

Harold Lanfear

Well Known Member
Last week, I ordered an AMX-2A audio mixer from Vern Little at Vx-aviation.com This little (built into a d-Sub connector) device allows easy input of up to 10 audio inputs (alert tones, music, whatever) into an intercom. He also has some other electronics on his site.

I had a 'brain cramp' and didn't understand the wiring and emailed Vern several times. I got some emails that took a fair amount of time for him to compose and solved my problems, as well as offered some great options. I felt Vern gave me some excellent service and was worthy of a note.

By the way, at $160 postpaid, this is a bargain considering the other options (not many) available to tie in multiple audio inputs. And no, I have no interest or connection to Vern or his company - Maybe I should have put this plug in before I ordered :D

Harold

I agree Vern does a nice reasonably priced product that does exactly as advertised.
I also, like you, found the wiring diagrams from Vern a little hard to work with. I think to someone who has knowledge about audio wiring it would all be very simple. However to those of us who don't it might just need a little more explanation.

Peter

Thanks for the feedback & criticism, gents.

I've updated the AMX-2A installation to cover two cases of the popular PS Engineering intercoms. PS makes a number of product variants that should be covered by the examples.

It is correct that the original documents were targeted to avionics technicians. Audio wiring in an aircrat is the most complex system and it's difficult to capture 50 years of folklore and acceptable methods in a single (small) document.

Nevertheless, we will continue to improve our products and documentation based on customer feedback.

Vern Little
Vx Aviation

I'm in the market for one of these too. But the web site doesn't look like its taking new orders. Whats the story?

http://www.vx-aviation.com

Replying to an 11-year old posting (yikes!), I see that MakerPlane has re-introduced my family of audio mixers.

The original 10-channel mono mixer (AMX-2A) and the 5-channel stereo mixer (AMX-4A) are available again, plus the new 2-mono plus 4-stereo mixer (AMX-10A) has been introduced.

Thanks to the OnSpeed team for poking me with a sharp stick to get this stuff going again, and for John at MakerPlane who was embedded with NATO troops in Poland this Spring, yet still worked hard to make this happen.

Vern

Vern I have a question for you. I would like to take aera 660 audio and mix it with XM music and then input it to my PS Engineering audio panel thru an available (already wired) music input. Should his work with your AMX-4B device ?

Thanks
Kevin

Vern I have a question for you. I would like to take aera 660 audio and mix it with XM music and then input it to my PS Engineering audio panel thru an available (already wired) music input. Should his work with your AMX-4B device ?

Thanks
Kevin

Yes, this will work. Just to be confusing, the AMX-4A and AMX-4B are now just one device, the AMX-4A.

Vern

Back