What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Whole airplane stand

Stewbronco

Well Known Member
I may need to jack up my RV4 ( no problem …have excellent jacks ) ….but then need to remove engine and mount for some possible fuselage work . Looking for ideas on how to support the underside of fuselage / wing for some longer term work with the engine mount / gear off the plane . Jacks are very stable but in this case I am very much “ a belt AND suspenders “ kind of guy! Many thanks….pictures would be very much appreciated

Angle iron legs

With the engine and mount off, just make two legs that bolt on the fuse with mount bolts at the firewall. Get fancy and put some HF wheels on the end of the legs. X brace them for “suspenders”.

Ghetto gear

What Larry said; or, just leave your airworthy aircraft on the wrong side of town overnight.

Attachments

• ghetto gear.jpg
    ghetto gear.jpg
    644.2 KB · Views: 200
  • ghetto gear 2.jpg
    ghetto gear 2.jpg
    361 KB · Views: 212
HF snowmobile/motorcycle lift under the belly supported by the spar, with good padding seems to be a popular choice, tail weighted down appropriately, with some correctly sized and padded sawhorses under each wing, about 1/3 the way out from the fuselage.

When I had to take the mount and legs off my Rv-3, I bought an ATV/Quad Bike lift. Made a wooden saddle to fit the belly and add some height, which supported the aircraft on the mainspar carry though.

Worked great!

Attachments

• E325FB70-9B3C-450E-8CF0-E5C24756CC1D.jpg
    E325FB70-9B3C-450E-8CF0-E5C24756CC1D.jpg
    316.6 KB · Views: 274
If it’s not notched already, I would add the firewall modification for a CS prop governor.

Back