What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

DPE recommendation wanted

flipdoc

I'm New Here
Does anyone have knowledge of, or a recommendation for, a DPE for PPL in an experimental in the Tucson AZ area? I have checked with the FSDO website but I haven't found one. I'm completing my training in an RV-9A, so ideally the DPE would have time in a 9A.

Additionally, I am interested in talking to any CFIs in the area that have 9A time, maybe for additional instruction and a different perspective.

Thank you,

Philip Isaac, student pilot
RV-9A
N557BD
Dues paid

Last edited:
The FSDO website won't list DPEs specifically for experimentals, just DPE-PE-ASEL in your case. Call the two that are listed for Tucson and if they don't do experimentals you'll have to broaden your search - to Phoenix.
I just did a search for the area where I was a DPE until I retired last December and the new system is yielding very incomplete data. You are only getting two hits for Tucson but I'm sure there are more. Ask flight schools - they'll know who to call.

Last edited:
Thanks David. I see the two hits when I input DPE-PE-ASEL, and yes, the list must be incomplete because I know of at least two examiners that are in the area and not on that list. There is a section at the bottom of the webpage for EAE, and I had followed the instructions to use EAE-EAA-XXXX, but Vans or RV is not an option on the required dropdown list, so I was stumped, and still am. I will make some calls to the flight schools, as you suggest, and also to EAA.

EAE are for much more exotic ($$$) airplanes. For you, a DPE is needed but there's no alternative to making calls to get pointed in the right direction.

Back