What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

leaking fuel drain repair......

turbo

Well Known Member
having a leaking fuel drain i emptied the tank and removed the leaking unit. the o-ring was shot so a trip to ace hardware came up with a replacement part for 20 cents and a few spares. pure genius.:D
img0185m.jpg

Buy a spare drain.

Ed,
If you have a spare drain in your emergency kit along with extra O-rings, you can actually change the drain without draining all the fuel. You will only lose a small amount of fuel during the change over. Just be sure to tie a rag around your wrist unless like fuel running up your sleeve.:D

David

Ed,
If you have a spare drain in your emergency kit along with extra O-rings, you can actually change the drain without draining all the fuel. You will only lose a small amount of fuel during the change over. Just be sure to tie a rag around your wrist unless like fuel running up your sleeve.:D

David

Ditto on that.

I've changed the o ring at OSH by using a 1/8" NPT plug which is screwed in as quickly as possible after removing the drain and doing it again after the o ring is replaced. Those darn o rings sometimes refuse to reseat at the worst times and places and you can't have fuel dripping for a couple days.

Ed,

David

I was about to say the same thing. If you have a spouse around, their finger on the hole works also, without draining the fuel :). Been there: "Tanya, come over here and put your finger in this drain hole for a second while I pop an new o-ring on the drain." Total time for repair 90 sec., finger usage time, 20 sec., bonding moment, priceless.

O-Rings from McMaster-Carr

Got my O-Rings from McMaster-Carr part # 9464K11. They work great and hard to beat the price ($4.48 per 100).
Squeak

Master-Carr
9464K11(Same as 9464K342)
Viton? Fluoroelastomer O-Ring AS568A Dash Number 006
In stock at $4.48 per Pack
This product is sold in Packs of 100

Is the drain suppose to screw all the way flush? I've got mine in about half way and to go any further worries me.

It's a tapered pipe thread. Screw it in as tight as you dare without flexing the tank skin too much. It doesn't have to be flush.

Jim Sharkey
RV-6 Phase 1

Is is necessary to add some fuel lube to help prolong the seal?

I put fuel lube on mine but suspect that it was the sticky lube that trapped a tiny piece of debris that prevented the darn thing from sealing and caused a leak. The debris, a tiny aluminum chip, would otherwise have been flushed out when I sampled the tank.

Jim Sharkey
RV-6 Phase 1

Aluminum chips on fuel drain

I rinsed the h*!! out of my fuel tanks, including sloshing fuel, running fuel through a throw-away filter and fuel pump and back to the tank for two days, etc. I still managed to shake a couple of chips loose after first flight and have had to clean my O-rings twice. I didn't use fuel lube on my O-rings.

I was about to say the same thing. If you have a spouse around, their finger on the hole works also, without draining the fuel :). Been there: "Tanya, come over here and put your finger in this drain hole for a second while I pop an new o-ring on the drain." Total time for repair 90 sec., finger usage time, 20 sec., bonding moment, priceless.

Hahahaha!!!!!!!

Fuel drain valves

I just switched to the Curtis Drain Valve CCA-1550 and will see if I don’t get as many annoying leaks. The O ring on the original drains tends not to seal from time to time and I have found tiny bits of debris on occasion. Fuel streaming down the bottom of the wing looks like ****. 5/16 wrench for the Curtis versus 1/2 inch for the Cessna drain valves. :cool:

Orlando
RV-8 N611BZ first flight 12 Dec 2021:D

Curtis Drain Valve

The switch to the Curtis Drain Valve was recommended by a retired Continental Mechanic, Ed Santiago. He is our local RV guru and has built at least five RV’s, the first was kit 25 over forty years ago. We are very lucky to have him walking among us!:D

Without draining the tank, you can tape off the vent line...REMEMBER TO REMOVE IT WHEN DONE... tape over the cap. Fuel valve switched to to the other tank.

With no air path to the tank, the valve can be removed with very little loss of fuel..... have a plug ready, or a finger.

Back