What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

tripping starter breaker

9erDriver

Well Known Member
Trying to spin the prop for the first time on the 14 build, tripping the breaker every time. Hmmmmm, what's wrong with this picture? At least its an easy fix.

i-6mQW6pk-S.jpg

Trying to spin the prop for the first time on the 14 build, tripping the breaker every time. Hmmmmm, what's wrong with this picture? At least its an easy fix.

i-6mQW6pk-S.jpg

That's troubling -- was it a "store bought" snubber diode?

Hah! You need to buy a 1N5400 diode with the band at the other end. They are very hard to find... even DigiKey doesn't stock them.

Here's a shop-trick I learned: take a regular diode, hold it in your right hand and turn it 180 degrees. Use it that way. Sure beats hunting down the reverse polarity versions. ;-)

solenoids.jpg

Last edited:
For those of us that are dumb, whats the story here :D

Snubber diode was installed/built backwards, resulting in a dead short -- as soon as power was applied to the "S" terminal it popped the starter breaker (current went "really" high).

Snubber diode was installed/built backwards, resulting in a dead short -- as soon as power was applied to the "S" terminal it popped the starter breaker (current went "really" high).

Came from Vans that way. I did have extra diodes, so built a new one with correct polarity.

LOL I see, thanks. I don't think that diode is rated for 200 amps...

Follow on question, what wiring harness had this diode pre-installed. I was under the impression that this wiring was up to the builder, no? I'm still in wing building land...

Follow on question, what wiring harness had this diode pre-installed. I was under the impression that this wiring was up to the builder, no? I'm still in wing building land...

It's not part of any harness. It comes with the Starter Relay IIRC.

Not part of a harness, but was included in the kit (FWF I think), and referenced in drawing #43. The part number is ES DIODE STARTER.

Last edited:
Back