What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

aileron stops.

Chipper G

Well Known Member
is the standard aileron control stop made from angle and riveted to the inboard aileron bracket ok? or are people doing something different

Alternate aileron stop

An alternate stop that is easier to install is a piece of nylon that replaces the spacer at the aileron push rod attach point. This sets the up elevator excursion where the nylon contacts the aileron hanger bracket. Don't have the diameter handy, but it's a stock size in the Aviation Aisle at HomeDepot. Makes for easy adjustments. Center is drilled to house the original aluminum spacer.

Edit: raw stop is 0.606 in dia; didn't need to turn it down further

Attachments

• IMG_0745 copy.jpg
    IMG_0745 copy.jpg
    490.3 KB · Views: 107
  • 65CACA05-8ABD-43E1-81BA-17B12F6E33FF.jpg
    65CACA05-8ABD-43E1-81BA-17B12F6E33FF.jpg
    306.9 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:
IIRC,
Use the 2 big washers in pics above.
Nylon will work.
Use grinder and scotch Brit wheel to smooth.
Use on both sides so there is no stress on one side.

Boomer

An alternate stop that is easier to install is a piece of nylon that replaces the spacer at the aileron push rod attach point. This sets the up elevator excursion where the nylon contacts the aileron hanger bracket. Don't have the diameter handy, but it's a stock size in the Aviation Aisle at HomeDepot. Makes for easy adjustments.

+1 I adjusted the diameter for each side to balance the stop angles. I like the nylon-metal stop as it is not as hard as metal-metal. YMMV

Thanks I like the nylon a lot! Just add it to my preflight to make sure it’s not damaged.

Hi
I chose to use a bronze bearing for the stop. I just had to cut it to length after buying the correct diameter. No damage worries.

Regards
Chris

What outer diameter were the bronze bushings?

Last edited:
What outer diameter were the bronze bushings?
I'll get back to you in a few days.. I have to measure them on the plane.
I'm 99% sure I only had to cut to length, but it has been 12 years lol.
I do remember measured aileron deflection was within spec from Vans after the install.

I just made the aileron stop using the angle based on the plan. It didn't take that much effort or as difficult as I had feared.

To mark the location of the stop, I used a strong magnet, salvaged from a used hard drive, place a small steel plate at approx the location where the aileron stop will be, move the aileron to about 30 degrees up and the bracket will move the steel plate to exactly the location and angle of where the stop would be positioned. The magnet holds the steel plate in place as you remove the aileron. Mark the reference line with a sharpie pen and this is where the stop will be positioned. Make the stop using the scrap longeron angle and rivet. It will be permanent instead of worrying about changing the plastic donut every few years.

I just made the aileron stop using the angle based on the plan. It didn't take that much effort or as difficult as I had feared.

To mark the location of the stop, I used a strong magnet, salvaged from a used hard drive, place a small steel plate at approx the location where the aileron stop will be, move the aileron to about 30 degrees up and the bracket will move the steel plate to exactly the location and angle of where the stop would be positioned. The magnet holds the steel plate in place as you remove the aileron. Mark the reference line with a sharpie pen and this is where the stop will be positioned. Make the stop using the scrap longeron angle and rivet. It will be permanent instead of worrying about changing the plastic donut every few years.

Sounds like a good technique, and easy to do. Just for reference, I’ve had the nylon bushings on the RV-8 for 18 years and 2100 hours, and have yet to see any sign of wear or degradation - in my experience, they are not a wear item. (Same thing is true on the RV-3 at 800 hours….)

This might be heresy, but I deviated from the plans - I didn't fabricate/install the aluminum stops. Instead I used a bit of 5/16" ID fuel hose installed over the A-711 spacer (AT6-058x5/16).

When the ailerons reach their respective limits, there is a positive yet non-jarring "thump."

YMMV

B

Attachments

• IMG_4332 2.jpg
    IMG_4332 2.jpg
    271.5 KB · Views: 55
Can’t see anything really wrong with that. I assume it should last for years and even if it tore and came apart, I don’t think it would jam the control.

Back