What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV6A trim malfunction

jask

Well Known Member
Yesterday, after a touch and go at Borrego, the nose trim wouldn't work. Tried both trim switch, wired in parallel, light on trim indicator was not on. Ray Allen system. While climbing out, trim and light began working normal. Any thought as to what could be wrong and troubleshooting.

Assuming you mean nose up/down trim, the most common thing i've seen here on VAF is a failed switch, followed by a failed wire somewhere along the path to the servo. They have to go through a lot of bulkheads to get back there, and there's a good chance one has chafed the wire. But check the switches first.

Like Rob said, failed switch, wire, connector, or relay (if used). I would start with the easy stuff, connectors and switches.

I had an issue with my elevator trim that started during phase 1. It was intermittent (the worst kind of electrical problems). I re-terminated the connector I had near the servo. No issues since.

Trim Malfunction

It is the elevator trim. The aircraft was completed in 2017, low time with teflon wiring and a low probability of abrasion. The switches check good. The relay and trim indicator both have a voltage supply and ground wires. Both were malfunctioning. There is one CB for the trim system so today I check the continuity of those wires.

http://www.rayallencompany.com/RACmedia/instructionsRP3.pdf

trim malfunction

I checked the trim indicator and one of the led lights is out and wires/connections look ok. I will check the relay next.

The old original ray allen relay deck-1 fails a lot, if that's what you have change it to the newer -2, I've not seen any problem with the -2 decks.

Back