What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Oil screen deposits.

Clipper1

I pulled my oil screen today and inside it was a small piece of debris. It was about 2mm x 3mm, beige in color and it reminded me of limescale. It snapped easily between my finger and thumb.

I assume this is a product of combustion. It is normal to find a tiny piece of waste in this screen from time to time?

TIA!

Not uncommon to find little chunks of debris in the suction screen - and as long as it is soft, you know you’re not making metal, so not much to worry about.

I'm interested to know what this 'debris' is. Can the byproducts of combustion be a solid matter? I recall seeing a borescope image once and there was a build up of white material on the cylinder head.

I'm interested to know what this 'debris' is. Can the byproducts of combustion be a solid matter? I recall seeing a borescope image once and there was a build up of white material on the cylinder head.

most non-metallic debris in the oil screen is carbon or coked oil. The oil can burn and create coke (solid carbon) in various areas, like ring lands, and breaks off and finds its way to the screen. It is not a combustion byproduct. The light colored stuff on the piston top and cyl head are deposits from fuel additives left behind post combustion.

Larry

Back