What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Bailing on the Project

mlwynn

Well Known Member
Hi folks,

After much thought and reflection, I think I am going to have to bail on my RV-10 project. Having built an RV8, I thought that I could do this in much less time that the -8 took, being over most of the learning curve. I kind of forgot how much of the build time is in parts preparation but the real problem is that my riveting buddy moved to Idaho. I got the vertical stabilizer done pretty well and the rudder is mostly perfect. My HS is a farging disaster. Probably airworthy but I wouldn't put it on my airplane. Had a guy help me rivet and he and I just weren't communicating well enough. Add to that that I just turned 72 and I'm not sure I could even insure the plane once I finished--in four or five years. Anyway, bottom line is, I really can't make this work.

So the questions I have are, I have the complete wing kit, unopened in my hanger. I have the aft end of the fuselage kit along with the completed rudder and VS. I think I can sell the wing kit. Someone must want to jump the line. My fuselage kit is supposed to ship in December. Should I cancel that or have it delivered to someone else? Do you think anyone would be interested in the the parts I have finished?

This is depressing.

Make something else work

Sorry to hear of your decision and my reply is not directed to talk you into or out of the decision you have made.
At 72 as you stated, you have a good number of years left to pursue your flying hobby. Having built an 8 and also a 10 I can assure you the 10 requires many more hours to build, even though you have the experience of a prior building project.
What I am getting at is this: Make the best of your time by flying as much as you want, even if you have to rent an RV. Concord Flying club has an RV-9 you can rent as well as a number of other options.
As to your question of selling the kits, you'll get a different opinion on every reply, pick the one that suits you best.
I am certain you can sell the wing kit as well as the empenage kit. Someone will be willing to replace, repair or discard the parts that are beyond repair and figure out how to replace them.
I would definitely cancel the fuselage kit, it will cost you nothing. If you have it delivered you won't be able to recover the shipping cost, sales taxes and you'll need to deal with the sale.

I believe a buyer will pick up your builder number and have the option of taking the fuselage kit (queue advantage) or rescheduling it, or canceling it.

Back