What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV8 - Oxygen...but where to put the tank

Webb

Well Known Member
Sponsor
I'm looking for a potential location for my current build (RV8) which can be reached but out of the way and doesn't interfer with the comfort of the backseater. If that is possible.

When I had my RV7A, I kept an "E" tank behind the passenger. It was secured upright and I could easily reach over and open/adjust the regulator. I also kept the tubing and canulas connected and wrapped around the regulator when not in use. Suspect that would also be a good location for the 14 builders that I have seen post asking about O2 systems. Somewhere I might be able to find a picture of it in the bagage compartment and will post.

A little more info for the curious -

I found that the sweet spot for the 7 was around 11-13,000 feet and having O2 easily at hand made traveling at that altitude a non-issue.

When using an Oxymizer/Oxysaver Pendant Cannula, at 12K, you could run about 1/2 liter/min and an E tank will last about 22 hours at that rate. One liter cuts that tank down to 11 hours and if you have a passenger, you'll need to run it at 1 liter at that altitude. The DME suppiers are about half of the aviation companies for these canulas.

Rather than fool with O2 systems that are difficult and more costly to get filled, I would get an E tank from the local DME that handles O2. All you need is a presciption from your friendly doctor for altitude hypoxia and for about $20, you can get a tank complete with regulator. When empty, exchange the tank for a fresh one (and a crisp Jackson)

Also tanks must recertified every 5 years (if memory is correct) and places that handle gases didn't want to fill a tank (personal experience). Using a DME company was so much less hassle and less expensive.

Here is the best picture I could find for the 7 location

Attachments

• 49EDCA12-2381-4040-A6CE-8BF7354F09A8.jpg
    49EDCA12-2381-4040-A6CE-8BF7354F09A8.jpg
    142.2 KB · Views: 248
Hold-down straps were added later. This was a fit check. These are the shorter M6 (I think) medical tanks.
I later made a second single-tank version with a storage box, and that is what is currently in the (unflown) plane.

Attachments

• IMG_1204.jpg
    IMG_1204.jpg
    265 KB · Views: 217
  • IMG_3977.jpg
    IMG_3977.jpg
    470.1 KB · Views: 179
I got an A cylinder within reach of me. I use a D for solo cross country and the A for emergencies. Or if the A works for the leg I fly, I bring two As to fly one out and one back. It also doubles as a water bottle holder when not in use.

Attachments

• 20220416_171638.jpg
    20220416_171638.jpg
    259.5 KB · Views: 197
Planning full system. Tank in luggage section clamped in with hard point accessible from outside. Using 2 person O2D2-2G which allows my tank to last 12 hours while dialing in 5k,10k, 15k and 20k for metering. Has hard line to front cockpit to monitor usage and turn on. Can have pics next couple of months.

Planning full system. Tank in luggage section clamped in with hard point accessible from outside. Using 2 person O2D2-2G which allows my tank to last 12 hours while dialing in 5k,10k, 15k and 20k for metering. Has hard line to front cockpit to monitor usage and turn on. Can have pics next couple of months.

Did you ever finish this? Would love to see pics...

I got an A cylinder within reach of me. I use a D for solo cross country and the A for emergencies. Or if the A works for the leg I fly, I bring two As to fly one out and one back. It also doubles as a water bottle holder when not in use.

Do you have a method to strap the bottle in place?
I got a real scare one time involving a secured (I thought it was secure...) bottle & some severe turbulence- the bottle shot up past my ear & enbedded itself in the canopy, creating a 8 x 12 inch hole in the plexi! Just be aware

I use the Mountain High AL-682 24.1 cubic feet cylinder (same as the RV-10). For the RV-8 the cylinder is mounted in the forward baggage compartment using the provided nylon carrying case. The case hold down straps are secured under the baggage compartment shelf screws in four places. The straps then attach to the carrying case using the provided strap clips in a crisscross fashion. The two place Mountain High controller is mounted in the cabin with Velcro.

Easy in, easy out. One bottle lasts me eight five plus hour trips. I refill the bottle at the field as we created a shared Oxygen recharge station. So for ~$40 I get four or five years of flying.

Side note. You need to remember to turn on the valve at the bottle before flying. I can report however is you forget to turn it off the nice Mountain High controller does a good job of keeping the oxygen in the bottle for days on end.

Carl

I want to install my bottle aft and run a hose or tube forward with control in the cockpit and a refill t in the cockpit. Haven’t quite figured it out yet. I think the easiest solution is Carl’s from a storage and refill perspective. I’m also thinking that strapped to the back of the aft seat with plastic tubing runs forward could work well. The fancier I think the more cash I’m forced to part with.

Back