What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Baffling Ramp Corner

Funguy

Well Known Member
I'm trying to close up the last egregious gaps in my baffling. This is an older RV-6 and I have not been able to find any good pictures of how others have handled the corners of the ramp on the lower cowling..
Mine looks like this:
Baffling.jpg

If I try to extend the baffling on the curve of the lower cowl. it will not sit on the rather square aluminum corner. All suggestions and photos of how to handle this area welcome.

Thanks in advance!

Cheers, Sean

There is a baffle part that is missing on yours - 2 actually. They are called conical gussets. You make them out of .032. Start with a piece of stiff paper to get the size and shape right and then use that as a template. The left and right conical gussets are not the same size.

404C26D7-2423-49B0-8E7C-C4A66A45E746.jpg

E082D843-298B-4B28-AC6D-DCCB6AAE1E25.jpg

Thanks!

Hey Scott,

Thanks a bunch for both the photos and the drawing references. I have a suspicion that my aluminium side baffle to lower cowling gap is too large for the stock solution but that absolutely points me in the right direction for a fix.

Cheers, Sean

On my -4

I curved the inboard lower seal upward and overlapped the seal that's on the forward baffle. takes a little finesse when installing lower cowl, but it seals the area completely.

Attachments

• LH IB.jpg
    LH IB.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 250
  • O320 top side.jpg
    O320 top side.jpg
    372.4 KB · Views: 266
Thanks Bill. My inboard corner is pretty good but I was contemplating replacing the seal in that area so that certainly helps.

Cheers, Sean

The outboard side

Here is my outboard side solution. I made small curved aluminum corners on my ramps, and the seals extend out over them. Still a small gap evident in the picture, but I didn't feel like cutting another seal piece!.

Attachments

• LH OB.jpg
    LH OB.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 174
  • O320 front side.jpg
    O320 front side.jpg
    351.2 KB · Views: 166
Back